It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2004, 12:12 AM   #1

pepsi987 HB User
Pulled out hair, will it grow back/how long?

Sorry i didnt know where to post this but earlier this month a couple times i was nevous and pulled out some of my hair. i could see that the root was pulled out too and now it looks thinner. does anyone know how long it will take for hair to grow back if you pull it out by the root? will it grow back?!
It also itches!

Thanks

Eric

Last edited by pepsi987; 04-16-2004 at 12:24 AM. Reason: .

Old 04-16-2004, 07:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User
Re: Pulled out hair, will it grow back/how long?

Pepsi,

I would look under the Obessive Complusive Disorders posts. The pulling out of hair is called Trichtillomania. I did this as a child, when my parents were going thru a divorce. It lasted long enough that I had bald spots on my head. But yes, your hair does grow back!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2004, 10:29 PM   #3

pepsi987 HB User

do you think it takes longer because it got pulled out by the roots?

Old 04-20-2004, 06:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

reni HB User

Hair grows at the same rate, whether you pull it out by the roots or break it off anywhere along its length. For most people this is half an inch/month or 6 inches in a year.

Old 04-22-2004, 11:06 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

DoOoOoM HB User

I guarentee you have damaged the roots of the hair. It takes a while for hair roots to repair themselves but the hair does grow back...thinner. Your hair will eventually thicken out again but it will take some time. Some times the roots are irreversibly damaged but if it's growing back thin or not then that's always a good sign.

Last edited by Dr_DoOoOoM; 04-22-2004 at 11:08 PM.

Old 05-09-2004, 02:27 PM   #6

pepsi987 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_DoOoOoM
I guarentee you have damaged the roots of the hair. It takes a while for hair roots to repair themselves but the hair does grow back...thinner. Your hair will eventually thicken out again but it will take some time. Some times the roots are irreversibly damaged but if it's growing back thin or not then that's always a good sign.
i havent seen much growing back yet. i heard some people it took several months. it is kind of thin. it is so embaressing.

Old 05-13-2004, 06:53 PM   #7

shortcake518 HB User

i have tricho drives me crazy!! i want it to go away!! its from deppression....and the doc put me on some happy go lucky pills ...2 weeks ago...helpin my deppression..but no! after this iraq abuse i am pullin out more then before!! sadly i do it down there\/ and its genetic so maybe my kids will have it ): .

Old 05-13-2004, 08:19 PM   #8

mank HB User

The reason why your hair itches - is probably where you pulled it out and new groth is starting to come in.,

I too worry about my hair not coming back. I know I have had Trich for more then 26 years now and I have a fear that I am not getting any younger and one day it will stop growing back. But that doesn't keep me from pulling more.

Right now I am under a great deal of stress and I have picked my self bald on the crown. I only have enough hair up there to cover the spot and spray it down with hair spray. Thank goodness for the hair spray too!

I went to my doctor today and I decided I was goign back to her for meds as the lady at the mental health was not helping me at all and acted way out there like everytime she saw me she didn't remember what I was there for.
enough of that already. I also see a therapist at the mental helath Center,,,I like her alot ut she isn't helping me any either. My family doctor said she will refer me to someone else and see if it helps me. I am going to the therapist tomorrow at the Mental Health and this will probably be my last time seeing her. I hate to end it this way, but I see no other way out.

MANK

Old 05-15-2004, 03:34 AM   #9

pepsi987 HB User

Thanks...do you think it's growing back in the follicle? i havent seen much yet. It itches sometimes so i take it that's a good thing!

Old 05-29-2004, 11:50 PM   #10

tracy72 HB User

Hi there!
I have also suffered from this and the thing that prevented me from pulling for a year(and also made my hair look really good)was a weave.It will stay in for about three months and then it grows out.I am white.For black women it tends to last a little longer.Trust me, it is so worth it to get a weave done.It does not matter if you have very thin hair,mine was very thin at the top of my head and the lady had no problems putting it in.I was so happy that i almost skipped home.And before i was afraid of the wind blowing my hair cause i thought everyone would see the bald spots but when i got a weave i thought to myself.....Let the wind blow!!!!!I paid 150.00 for it and they use real hair.It`s kind of like a hair piece that is sewn into your hair.If you have this done then there is no way that you can pull on that certain spot so that hair will grow in.I hope this helps.
Take care,
Tracy

Closed Thread