It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2005, 06:39 AM   #1
(female)

Kat734 HB User
Coloring thinning hair

I've been coloring my hair for years because of early graying. Right now I am having some hormonal imbalances and losing a lot of hair.
My question is, will coloring affect the hairloss...make more fall out? Has anyone found that certain brands of hair color will do this more than others?
The thinning is devastating enough. Not being able to cover up the gray would add insult to injury.
Awhile back I read that coloring thinning hair is okay...it actually will "plump up" the hair shaft. I just don't want to lose that "plumped up" hair either.

Old 03-01-2005, 01:07 AM   #2
(female)

Cherry_Pie HB User
Re: Coloring thinning hair

I have a few questions for you?

1. Do you have any one spot in particular that this is happeneing because for me I had a spot right in the front that was turning gray and I was coloring it, and then all of a sudden last year, the hair was thinning and it gave me a terribly thin area right in the front...and my hair thinned all over but mainly in the front.

2. Did you pinpoint what hormonal imbalances are causing this?
3. Are you having any other issues with this hair loss like acne?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2005, 06:22 AM   #3
(female)

Kat734 HB User

Hi Cherry Pie
Well, my hair has been falling out for about 3-4 yrs now, and more so recently since finding out I am menopausal. I am using bio-identical hormones...biest, progesterone and a little testosterone. As far as pinpointing which hormone deficiency or excess is causing the loss...I can't say for sure, because hairloss can be the result of many things: testosterone excess or deficiency, progesterone deficiency, estrogen deficiency (and maybe even excess).
Yes, I also have breakouts of acne (at 46) along with the hairloss, but have battled this all my life. Right now, I am also looking into the possibility of thyroid problems...which could be a factor.
I NEED to color my hair and soon, and am a little hesitant because I don't know if that is causing my hairloss. I don't really think it is though...it seems to be more hormonal imbalance. I just freaked a little the last time I colored it (5 wks. ago) and thought maybe the product I used caused it to fall out more heavily...(Excellence by Loreal).

Old 03-01-2005, 02:51 PM   #4
(female)

Cherry_Pie HB User

Im not a doctor or an expert, but when you have problems with your hair the last thing you should do is add chemicals to it. Its not whats making it fall out though because along with you my thyroid is off, my hormones are off and I was recently diagnosed witha rare carnitine deficiency that my doctor thinks could be causing alot of problems im having. You might want to try like health food stores that carry all natural hair products and organic things to color your hair with while you are trying to get better. Im 39 by the way and have a little bald spot right in the front . I buy this color mousse and some liquid color just some daily things to cover up the front a little that I got at the beauty salon.

Closed Thread