It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2005, 03:24 PM   #1
(male)

YupYupYup HB User
Thinning Hair At 22...Help

All my life, I have had really fine hair...I've noticed in the last year or two, the front of the crown has become really thin and receding a bit...It hasnt gotten that bad yet, but I know in the next year or so, it will probably be really noticeable...Fine and thin hair runs in both sides of my family...I know my grandpa and a few uncles on my dads side are and were bald..On my moms side my uncles and grandpa have thin hair and have receded, but not completely bald...I'm only 22 and this is taking over my life, if only my hair can stay like this for another 10 years, then I would be happy!

Anybody have any advice or experience on products, or vitamins, or what not??? I'm thinking about scheduling an appt. with my dermotologist soon...b/c I hear its good to start taking care of it when you first notice thinning or what not...Is it also true that stress can cause this??? I've been through sooo much stress in the last 2-3 years its unreal. Any replies would be greatly appreciated...Thank you and take care!

Old 03-28-2005, 06:56 PM   #2
(male)

SaintAngerBH HB User
Re: Thinning Hair At 22...Help

I hear you. I had long hair for a while until I noticed my hairline receding. It's been receding for about a while now and it's starting to become noticeable. It still looks good like it is, but who knows how it's gonna change.

My dad didn't start losing hair from the back until his early 30's, so with all luck hopefully I won't until then either....I really don't mind where it's at right now...it looks mature and I like it...but if it goes much further back I'll start to freak.

Personally i've been through TONS of stress. And I've probably put more stress on myself than I should. I also have severe anxiety issues which creates many stressful situations.

I also like to drink alot, though I've heard that really isn't directly related to hairloss...

I'm reading a book now on it and it's giving me these scalp exercises to do. Scalp massages to increase blood flow to the scalp twice a day.

Drink atleast 2 liters of water a day, that flushes your system out. Eat lots of greens and stuff. Try to eat as healthy as you can, and definitely exercise. I would say exercise moderately 3 times a week.

Other than that I can't offer a whole lot of advice. I'm almost 21 and I completely feel your pain. It's TRAUMATIZING when you first start seeing that receding hairline. It's really damaging to your psyche. But I'm starting to get more used to it now and I'm not so focused on it. Sometimes it still gets to me, but not as much. You're still the person you always were with or without your hair. I know that probably doesn't help much, but it is just hair....it's not everything.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2005, 07:05 PM   #3
(male)

SaintAngerBH HB User

Oh and another thing I forgot.

When you wash your hair...don't wash it with hot water.

It's the same reason they say only use the medium or cool settings on your hair dryer's, the heat destroys your hair and your hair foliciles. The heat is really bad for hair loss.

Make sure you wash it with cool - cold water and don't scrub it really hard, just massage it lightly....

Old 04-04-2005, 01:23 AM   #4

jrwhitehurst HB User

Propecia and rogaine, man. They work, you may not regrow, but you can definitely stop it from getting worse. Be advised though, if you start taking propecia or rogaine, you should plan to be on it for a long time, until something better comes out. But propecia alone will give you maintenance, if not regrow and thicken up what you already have. Minoxidil regrows, but you will lose what you gain if you ever quit taking it.

Old 04-04-2005, 05:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

I've been reading about scalp massages/exercises and it's pretty interesting. Scalp massages are an interesting treatment considering they are hassle free and cost you nothing. could you go into more detail as to what the book describes? thanks!

Last edited by moderator2; 04-05-2005 at 06:29 AM.

Old 05-12-2005, 02:53 PM   #6

eye2eye HB User

im the same age and haave noticed hair gettng thinner.
im currently trying out nizoral, but do Propecia and rogaine have any side effects?

Old 06-09-2005, 10:50 PM   #7
(male)

joada21 HB User

I had thinning hair due to steroids and a friend of my mine suggested taking kelp to keep the hair i had. It worked really well and i kid you not my thinning hair on the top of my head actually grew back significantly in that week. The only downgrade about taking these pills are if you consume alcohol the pill becomes ineffective and wont work anymore. That is exactly what happened to me, That week was great my hair was thicker, growing back and then on that friday i took a couple shots at a party and noticed the next morning that there were strands and strands of hair all over my pillow. And from then on my hair has not been growing. Its too bad your at that age of drinking but if your not then you should try it. The company that i used was named kal and take about two a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YupYupYup
All my life, I have had really fine hair...I've noticed in the last year or two, the front of the crown has become really thin and receding a bit...It hasnt gotten that bad yet, but I know in the next year or so, it will probably be really noticeable...Fine and thin hair runs in both sides of my family...I know my grandpa and a few uncles on my dads side are and were bald..On my moms side my uncles and grandpa have thin hair and have receded, but not completely bald...I'm only 22 and this is taking over my life, if only my hair can stay like this for another 10 years, then I would be happy!

Anybody have any advice or experience on products, or vitamins, or what not??? I'm thinking about scheduling an appt. with my dermotologist soon...b/c I hear its good to start taking care of it when you first notice thinning or what not...Is it also true that stress can cause this??? I've been through sooo much stress in the last 2-3 years its unreal. Any replies would be greatly appreciated...Thank you and take care!

Closed Thread