It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2005, 07:43 PM   #1
(female)

Danielle05 HB User
17 year old female with a chin hair????????

I was rubbing my chin the other day and I noticed something *****ling me, it was a chin hair, I've pulled it out twice before, and it returned, why is this happening to me?? my periods are irregular, and breasts really haven't developed, could there be something wrong with my hormones or what? Please help me, I'm also still dealing with the whole excessive shedding, which I'll be getting blood tests done soon to see the cause of it. Could somebody atleast tell me why I have chin hair???

Old 04-07-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User
Re: 17 year old female with a chin hair????????

I really can't give any good advice except to check with your doctor. Have you been to a ob/gyn yet? It sounds hormonal, maybe something isn't balanced. I would definitely get those irregular periods checked out. As far as not being "developed" keep in mind every woman's body is different and we develop at different times, but again, look into visiting your normal internal medicine doctor or see an ob/gyn. They can give you their expert opinion. Blood work will also tell if there's a problem. I wish you the best!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2005, 06:06 AM   #3
Inactive

debemak HB User

You may have something called polycystic ovarian sydrome. You do need to see an endocrinologist to be diagnosed. There is medication you can take to stop the unwanted hair growth and laser treatements to get rid of what is on your chin now. You'll want to be diagnosed asap because it can lead to insulin resistance and a chance of diabetes, as well as infertility problems.

Old 04-24-2005, 05:30 PM   #4

JanetinHouston HB User

Danielle, YOu need to go to an endocrinologist. I had irregular periods, acne that began to get worse around the age of 20, and hair on my chin and more than normal hair on my arms for a woman.

I had something called hirsutism. I was on meds for a little over a year I believe, and it straightened my hormones up (with hirsutism you have too many male hormones).

Unfortunately, once a hair folicle gets a taste of a male hormone, it will never stop growing, but if indeed you do have too many male hormones, it will slow the growth of the hair down and it will be more manageable. Also, my periods aren't bad at all now.

Old 05-01-2005, 07:30 AM   #5

narcist HB User

Quote:
Unfortunately, once a hair folicle gets a taste of a male hormone, it will never stop growing, but if indeed you do have too many male hormones, it will slow the growth of the hair down and it will be more manageable. Also, my periods aren't bad at all now.
Is that true??!! So if you have dark hairs they will always be dark?

I have a question. I'm not sure if I should start another discussion or not so I'll just ask here. Does the hair problem decrease at ALL if you lose weight? I've read that being overweight produces certain hormones that cause hair growth. So does that change if you lose weight? I'm fat (blah) and have started noticing more and more hair where I don't want it! Especially on my face and I have noticed more and more 'stray' hairs on my upper back which totally makes me feel like some kind of freak! I'm too embarrassed to even go to the doctor to ask them what's up with me. I started nairing and shaving my face when I was around 15 because I had what I thought was too much facial hair. Now I realize that what I had then was normal and I'm so mad at myself. Did the hair on my face start growing back darker and thicker because I shaved or because I have some hormone imbalance?

*I should note that I'm 19 now.

Last edited by narcist; 05-01-2005 at 07:32 AM.

Old 05-03-2005, 11:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

Don't be embarassed to see a doctor. It's their job, and they need to see the hair to make a correct diagnoisis. The weight and the hair can be due to a hormone imbalance or PCOS which someone mentioned earlier. The hair that you have now will not go away if you lose weight. It can only be removed via electrolysis or laser hair removal. Don't put this off. Your health and fertility are at stake.

Old 05-05-2005, 03:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Electrolysis is the perfect way to permanently get rid of small areas of hair. Abnormal amounts of hair can be hormonal or even genetic. When you have hair problems due to hormonal reasons then laser hair removal rarely works or doesn't work as efficiently as electrolysis. I have a friend who only does electrolysis and she gets loads of people who laser hair removal didn't work for. Whatever you do, don't shave your facial area as you will create greater problems.

Old 05-06-2005, 04:12 PM   #8
(female)

ladyphatphat HB User

I thought that i was some sort of freek, i 30 yr old black british female with a full grown beard. PLEASE PLEASE dont shave it growns back faster & thicker, dont pluck it coz you mark your skin the best way i think is threading. Chin up ladies hairs n all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2005, 06:19 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I just wanted to say that NO you are not a freak. You wouldn't believe how many women have facial hair problems, ranging from white women with blond hair to women with dark hair problems. Sometimes the problem isn't that great of a big deal to start off with, but in our minds we think "beatiful = zero hairs". When you begin waxing, tweezing, shaving, it can then create an even bigger problem, from the hairs getting stronger, or instead of one hair growing from that spot you end up with two!! or as the above poster said it can actually mark your skin or if you have white skin you can even end up with dark patches (sort of like what a man gets when he skips a day of shaving). Those bleaching creams can cause problems too. Aften being bleached a fair bit, the hairs can take on a yukky yellow appearance and it stands out more than if you had just left the hairs dark. It can also make the hairs stronger and appear longer, besides i dont think it's all that healthy to be inhaling the amonia which is in the bleach.

Now the thing with waxing or shaving the face is that you aren't only regularly removing the dark hairs you want to get rid of, but you are also regualrly removing those very fine, pale hairs that aren't a problem. This leads to those faint/pale hairs to become stronger and darker.

My friend who i mentioned runs the electrolysis business has virtually done whole faces for some females who had very bad hair growth on the sides of their face, under and around the chin area, upper lip etc. Also mens backs, womens arms, arm pits, legs, thighs, bikini area. If the procedure is done properly the hairs really dont ever come back.

Out of curiosity, does threading lessen the hair growth? I've heard of it being used for eyebrows.

Old 05-07-2005, 08:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

Shaving, bleaching, nor depilatories have any permanent effect on hair. Nothing you do to the hair above the skin's surface can alter the hair. Shaving temporarily removes the tapered tip from the hair. Once the hair sheds and is replaced, the hair will be as it was before it was ever shaved. Bleaching only alters the hair that was bleached. Once that hair sheds, the replacement hair will be as it was originally.

Tweezing, waxing, threading, epilating, or any other means of forcibly removing the hair by the root (eyebrows are the exception) does alter the growth of the hair. The body considers ripping the hair from the follicle as an injury. And as with any injury, the body repairs the injury, and with continued injury, actually strengthens the hair, making it coarser and distorting the follicle, thinking that it will be more difficult to be injured again.

Laser hair removal is no more less effective on someone with a hormonal imbalance than electrolysis. A destroyed follicle is a destroyed follicle. Hormone imbalances target inactive follicles, not follicles that have been disabled via electrolysis or laser. Both electrolysis and laser destroy hair by thermolysis. The follicle can't distinguish which mode of thermolysis it is receiving. Heat is heat.

Old 05-08-2005, 01:53 PM   #11

narcist HB User

So am I just suppose to let the hair grow? What's the best thing I can do to remove the hair? Is nairing any different than shaving? I don't have the money to do any kind of hair removal. This is sort of a lose lose situation. Because I can't just walk around with a hairy face... but if I do anything besides permanent hair removal it will just get worse... ugh.

Old 05-09-2005, 06:09 PM   #12

dani_78_78 HB User

Danielle,
I too have irregular periods and hair on my chin as well as other places people get unwanted hair. My hormone levels are a little off and my doctor said that it looks as though I have polysistic ovarion synndrome(PCOS). I don't have all of the symptoms though. I would go see your doctor for sure because if you are like me you may have trouble getting pregnant some day but don't worry doctors can help with this. It is just best to find out right away.

Here is what I have done to get rid of unwanted hair. I have shaved, waxed, tweezed, bleached, electrolysis and have recently done laser treatment. I don't have luck with any of these except laser treatment so far. My hait grows so quick that it is always picky the next day. The lady I get my laser treatment from says that you don't want to pluck the hair she said to shave it and it won't come in thicker. So I shaved my upper lip and she was right. I had been bleaching it for many years and it makes the hairs more noticable. I'm now getting laser treatment on my upper lip and underarms. So far I'm happy with it. But the down side is that hair can come back if you have hormone changes like during pregnancy. I'm taking my chances since I have nothing to lose. Just one more thing everytime you pluck that hair on your chin you might think it is just one or two but in reality it is many. I started recently shaving my ****n to see how many are there and it ended up being like 10 hairs. I will be getting that lasered next.

I hope this helped and didn't scare you.

Good luck,
Danielle

Old 08-22-2005, 04:42 PM   #13
(female)

Joy Black HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle05
I was rubbing my chin the other day and I noticed something *****ling me, it was a chin hair, I've pulled it out twice before, and it returned, why is this happening to me?? my periods are irregular, and breasts really haven't developed, could there be something wrong with my hormones or what? Please help me, I'm also still dealing with the whole excessive shedding, which I'll be getting blood tests done soon to see the cause of it. Could somebody atleast tell me why I have chin hair???
Lots of women have facial hair. If your ring fingers are longer than your index fingers you were born having had sufficient exposture to testosterone to make it possible for you to grow facial hair in the same way as a male. But that would still require you to have a hormonal balanace in favour of testosterone. The fact that you haven't developed regular periods and that you say your breasts really havent' developed may indicate that you aren't producing much estrogen which would leave the way open for even a limited amount of testosterone to produce some male-type facial hair. I didn't develop anything that could be called breasts until I first became pregnant and up to that point my periods had also been irregular. My moustache grew in so heavily as a teenager that I was shaving it every day by the time I was 15. But none of that stopped me having a family. Don't worry about it. Each time I've been pregnant my moustache growth has slowed right down, but increased again afterwards.

Old 08-23-2005, 03:14 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

If electrolysis is performed correctly it is guaranteed 100% to get rid of the hairs forever. The problem is that some of the people performing this procedure are not doing it correctly for some reason or other, could be bad training or could be to keep you coming back for repeat business. I went years ago to have electrolysis done and after about 9 months i saw no results. Then some years later i went to somebody else for electrolysis and i saw almost immediate results and the area which was initally done has been hair free for nearly 5 yrs now. At the moment i'm half way through having my bikini line done.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:56 PM   #15
(female)

RiotGirl00 HB User

Whatever you do, DO NOT shave, wax, or nair your entire face.
Shaving won't make it worse, but it WILL make your face all *****ly. No girl should have to deal with that.
Same thing with waxing. It will solve your problem for a few weeks, but then if you want to do it again you have to let the hair grow out really long. And that's just as bad. Plus ingrown hairs, gross.
Nair and veet are horrible products if you ask me. I've tried each only once, and they literally burned my skin. I had a rash for days, plus they only got rid of maybe 50% of the hair. Not worth the money or the pain.
Plucking is also bad. I've learned the hard way. I used to pluck hairs out of my body till I noticed that they started SPREADING in the areas I didn't even have hair before! Then I did some research and learned that plucking will "awaken" the surrounding hair follicles, fuel blood to them, and make them grow hair too. Don't do it!
I don't understand why anyone would do that. It's such a huge mistake.

I also have like two hairs on my jawline that always grow dark, but I just pluck them out VERY carefully, making sure I don't pluck out any of the surrounding thin hairs. Because if you do that, the other thin hairs you pull will turn darker too.
It's such a horrible mistake to do something like that.

I've had hair all over my entire body since I was 14. It's awful.
First I started noticing it on my arms. I've always had really long, ugly arm hair. I started waxing that... but it's such a pain in the *** that I stopped waxing and now I have to shave my arms. If I don't it looks soooooooooooo nasty.
Then later I started developing hair all over my face. The thing I'm thankful for each and everyday is that even though there is gross hair all over my face, it's so thin and blonde that it's not noticable at all (unless I'm out in the sun then you can see EVERYTHINg, UGH!)
After that I started seeing hair on my stomach... And then my back etc etc.
So now my entire body is covered in these disgusting fine hairs that I can't really do anything about. I don't have the money to go get my entire body lasered or something.

I got so obsessed over it that I couldn't take it. So I went to the doctor to do some blood tests.
He checked my thyroid hormone levels, which all came back normal. He checked my testosterone, which was also normal.
Then he sent me home totally disappoined and told me there is nothing he can do and that it was my problem.
So I went home and a couple of weeks later got another call. He thought it was PCOS. I got tested for that too...nothing.
I knew I don't have PCOS since my periods have always been regular and I've never had any hairloss or anything.

So he told me that it's just "my body" and there is nothing I can do but laser it some day. After that I've just learned to live with it. I can't get rid of this problem so I just try and cover up as much as I can, don't go out in the sune because it's soooooooo obvious.
I'm very disappointed that I have to deal with this for the rest of my life and I don't know why. My family is not hairy at all like this. For some reason my sister and I are the two people in the ENTIRE family who are more hairy than the rest. She's the lucky one though because she has A LOT less hair then I do still. Sucks.

You may have PCOS though...seeing that you have irregular periods and hairloss. If it's that, you can get it treated. Go to your doctor asap and get tested because you don't want it to spread and turn into something much worse. Take care of your body so you don't have to suffer worse consequences.

Good luck to you

Closed Thread