It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2005, 08:27 AM   #1
(female)

sparkled_rage HB User
Question What age did you notice grey/white hair?

I'm 28, and for the past 6 months i've noticed strands of WHITE hair! Yes, I have plucked them out(I know,not a good idea), and have hoped they would not grow back! Not just white, but a few grays here and there too! I'm freakin out a bit because i'm not 50 yet, the age that I prefer to go gray or white! Now my big dilemma is 'to pluck or not to pluck?', or just shave my head again! I'm a woman by the way too, so shaving my head probably wouldn't be the best solution. I could dye it too, but that costs money and that I don't have . So maybe to make me feel a bit better, what age did you notice any white or gray hair(if it was in your twenties ofcourse!) Thanks.

Old 04-23-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User
Re: What age did you notice grey/white hair?

Grey hair is usually genetic. I did get some grey's in my 20's, can't remember the actual age. I started getting highlights to sort of blend those grey's and it worked. Now I'm 35 and just a couple of years ago I had to start getting my hairstylist to start coloring my hair. Yes, it does cost money and I have to go every 5-6 weeks for touch ups. This isn't something I want to do on my own, so I put it in my budget. Maybe you can get away with adding some highlights like I did at first. Find out when your parents began getting grey hair. Mine both started getting greys in their late 20s, so I knew I didn't have a chance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2005, 05:47 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katkat HB User

I know a few girls that I went to school with that went completely gray in their twenties.......so did they brothers and cousins. My aunt was completely gray by the time she was fourty. My dad on the other hand is going to be 73 in June and still has a lot of black hair with his gray. SO you see it varies.
Plucking will only hurt your scalp. lol Just a few grays or white won't show up that much, even 50 won't. I would ignore it and if it gets worse by the time you are 35 you could dye it but that is your choice. Look at your mother and talk to her and your dad about when they started getting so much it was really gray/white. You'll be close to the same as them.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:12 AM   #4
(female)

JenEbean HB User

I was just about your age when I started finding gray/white hairs. I just plucked them out until it got to be too many. I have my hair colored now to cover the gray. I have a mousy dark blonde/light brown natural color and they gray is almost white but it just looks terrible with my hair color. So, I pay to make them go away. I cannot wait until I am predominately gray/white so I can stop coloring, and I will. I think women with all gray/white hair are so beautiful. If it really bothers you, just color it.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:20 PM   #5
Inactive

opielonghorn HB User

my hair's been going gray since college. i just use the box dye that washes out in 28 days. that way, if i screw it up, it's not that big a deal. it's good if you can get a friend to apply it for you. but i would definitely wait until the gray became really noticeable, because dyes in general are not the greatest things to be using. in recent years i've started getting creative with the colors. i figure if i have to dye it, i might as well have fun. so right now i'm a redhead, but that could change at any second!

Old 05-06-2005, 09:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

I recall pulling out stray grey hairs during class, in grade 8. Not many mind you (maybe about 5), but my mother had a full head of grey hair by the time she was 30 so I wasn't surprised. I have been coloring my hair black since I was about 20 and am now 38, and my roots in several areas are nearly pure white.

Old 05-09-2005, 06:47 PM   #7

dani_78_78 HB User

I had 4 gray hairs when I was 19 and didn't notice any new ones until I turned 27. I don't think that a few grey hairs are a big deal. I would just buy some box dye. Don't pluck them and don't shave your head it isn't the end of the world. I knew a girl who plucked them and her head was full of grey hair and I believe it makes you get more so no more plucking.
Good luck,
Dani

Old 05-12-2005, 11:12 AM   #8
(female)

Kelzilla HB User

I was 28 when I noticed my first white hair. before that i was grey at the temples (i'm an ash blonde). My mom was in her 20s when she started going white, and now her hair is almost totally white. I don't worry about coloring anymore though, the white actually looks good with my dark ash blonde hair.

Closed Thread