It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2005, 08:39 AM   #1
(female)

KristyAngela HB User
Coloring/Dyeing effects on hair

How does coloring and dyeing your hair effect it? Can it cuase hair loss or lack of growth? (excluding allergic reactions to the dyes, which of course has those effects) How often is too often? And the dyes that claim to be nutricious for your hair (like garnier and some loreal things) are they really good for your hair in some way? Thanks!

Old 05-23-2005, 08:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

daylight568 HB User
Re: Coloring/Dyeing effects on hair

I used Loreal Permanent dye for years with no damage.I also rarely use conditioner on my hair.Some dyes can weaken hair making it extremely vulnerable to breakage.How often?I would say it depends on how fast your hair grows.You only need to do your roots as they grow in.I wouldn't recommend dying over dyed hair if the color is still pretty much there.Just concentrate on the roots and leave the rest alone.

Last edited by daylight568; 05-23-2005 at 09:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2005, 10:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyAngela
How does coloring and dyeing your hair effect it? Can it cuase hair loss or lack of growth? (excluding allergic reactions to the dyes, which of course has those effects) How often is too often? And the dyes that claim to be nutricious for your hair (like garnier and some loreal things) are they really good for your hair in some way? Thanks!

I've been told by hairdressers that dying your hair (at least at a salon) won't make your hair fall out. They say that it (dying) is only topical and that hair loss is caused by something internal i.e. medications, vitamin or protein deficiencies, or hereditary. However, I'd say go to the salon to get your hair dyed. Yes, it's more expensive, but it's much better for your hair. It is more expensive for them to get because it is better so, therefore, they have to charge more. The stuff in the stores is cheaply made and can be sold for cheaper. But it can really be drying to your hair, and if used repeatedly over long periods of time, can cause thinning. I know someone that this happened to. I used to dye my hair myself all the time and I used to think that the salons were just trying to get my money. But then I finally went to a salon and noticed a big difference in my hair. When they did it, it wasn't dry like it was with the store bought stuff. But DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT go to Fantastic Sam's to get it done. I went there and the stuff they used burned my scalp and dried my hair out. The same thing happened to my sister-in-law. I don't believe it was an allergic reaction either. It probably would be best to stay away from the chain stores altogether and just go for the individual shops. As far as how often, it just depends on how fast your hair grows. I get mine done every eight weeks, but mine doesn't grow that fast. Sorry so long, I just wanted to share my experiences, hope I was helpful.

Old 05-23-2005, 01:16 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

melanie in mary HB User

I like what you said DSHELDON3 about just dying your roots if your hair is already colored. I am going to try that next time on my hair, especially since my hair is so dry. GOOD IDEA

Closed Thread