It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2005, 07:51 PM   #1
(male)

chubby772 HB User
Does pantene pro-v cause dandruff?

I have so much of it, it's not even funny. I thought maybe drinking lots of water would help, but it's not.

Yeah... Im a guy and the females in the family do the shopping and that shampoo does a good job to my hair otherwise, but I've always had this problem with dandruff. How do I fix this? I use shampoo everyday during the week, then maybe once on the weekends; so about 6 times a week.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:26 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

caliente HB User
Re: Does pantene pro-v cause dandruff?

yes, pantene can cause dandruff.

pantene is not healthy for hair. basically what it does, is it coats the hair with wax, and thats why hair feels healthier and soft. over time, that wax builds up on the hair and scalp. so what you may be seeing is the build up flaking off of your scalp.

you might want to try a really good clarifying shampoo, but just once a week. some people also swear by gently scrubbing the scalp with baking soda. i have not tried it, but i have heard good things about it.

if you still have dandruff, or if it gets worse, your scalp may be very dry. try using head and shoulders shampoo. it has been a miracle for me in the winter months when my scalp gets very dry and itchy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2005, 04:45 AM   #3
(female)

wannahelp HB User

If you suffer with dandruff, only a dandruff shampoo will help keep it under control.

Old 09-03-2005, 10:04 PM   #4
(male)

chubby772 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente
yes, pantene can cause dandruff.

pantene is not healthy for hair. basically what it does, is it coats the hair with wax, and thats why hair feels healthier and soft. over time, that wax builds up on the hair and scalp. so what you may be seeing is the build up flaking off of your scalp.

you might want to try a really good clarifying shampoo, but just once a week. some people also swear by gently scrubbing the scalp with baking soda. i have not tried it, but i have heard good things about it.

if you still have dandruff, or if it gets worse, your scalp may be very dry. try using head and shoulders shampoo. it has been a miracle for me in the winter months when my scalp gets very dry and itchy.
But Head & Shoulders just takes dandruff out of hair so that it looks like you dont have any dandruff when its still there.

And are there shampoos that give the same results as Pantene Pro-V but also not cause that dandruff?

Old 09-04-2005, 06:54 AM   #5
(female)

wannahelp HB User

Chubby, if you have a dandruff problem there is no cure for it. You can only control it. Look in the isles at the different shampoos for dandruff, and try some different ones other than Head & Shoulders. There are some really great ones that don't smell and will make your hair look and feel good. If you really like the Pantene, then alternate days. One with Pantene, the next with Dandruff Shampoo. This will still help control your dandruff problem. Stay away from strong shampoos as these will aggravate the dandruff. Look for a mild shampoo that will say it's mild enough to use everyday. There are lots of causes of dandruff: poor circulation, poor diet/nutrition, sluggish scalp, ect..
Manipulate your scalp with your fingertips, use an antiseptic on scalp, and make sure you use Clean brushes, combs, ect.. Dandruff can be contagious. It's very important to keep it under control. You could suffer bald spots in the long run if you don't. I hope this helps, and gives you some ideas.

Old 09-04-2005, 09:16 PM   #6
(male)

chubby772 HB User

Whoa, dandruff is contagious? So it is like a disease? I didn't know this.

Also my mom used to say rubbing oil in your hair and letting it settle in can help; I did it once and it worked, but it was way back. Is it true or does it just have similar effects as Head and Shoulders?

Old 09-04-2005, 09:21 PM   #7
(female)

gimpy123 HB User

Not sure if it causes dandruff but I stopped using it because it made my scalp itch really bad!! I started using aveda shampoo and it went away so there is definately something up with that shampoo! Good to know I didn't imagine it!

Old 09-04-2005, 09:41 PM   #8
(male)

thebluedog HB User

I've also heard that Pantene can cause hair loss. Not sure if that's true.

Chubby, I would suggest that you purchase an all natural hair shampoo for dandruff from a Vitamin Shop. You may want to avoid the typical dandruff shampoos. Some have certain active ingredients that can be bad for you. Use it once or twice per week. I have a dry and itchy scalp and have had success with Neutrogena shampoo products.

Good luck

Old 09-04-2005, 10:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluedog
I've also heard that Pantene can cause hair loss. Not sure if that's true.

It was definitely true for me. I have hair loss due to medication. But when I used Pantene (only about 3 times, thank God!), my hair loss increased dramatically. When I stopped using it, it slowed back to normal.

Old 09-05-2005, 05:53 AM   #10
(female)

wannahelp HB User

chubby, dandruff is not clearly defined by the medical field, but it is thought to be from a contagious origin. cosmetologist treat dandruff as contagious, and take special precautions to sterilize all implements used. I'm not sure about the oil thing. I do know that it helps for babies, but that is cradle cap not dandruff. I don't know what to say about all these comments on Pantene. If it caused hair loss, it would not be on the market. I use only professional products, so I'm not familiar with the Pantene, but I do know that there are a lot of people that like it.
I also failed to mention that there are 2 types of dandruff. One is the dry and the other is the oily (waxy). Use the appropiate dandruff shampoo for the one you have.

Old 09-12-2005, 08:50 PM   #11
(male)

chubby772 HB User

Okay my head was a lot itchier with Pantene and my dad bought that Garnier Fructis junk. I'm guessing its just as bad, right? I also have a question, since I saw Vitamin shop, would there be any vitamin suppliments advised to take to avoid dandruff or at least tune it down? My dandruff is now like this: its hidden behind my hair, but if I shake my head, it still snows like a blizzard.

Closed Thread