It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2005, 07:19 AM   #1
(female)

Bee21 HB User
brown hair...no red

I just got my hair dyed, I went from a lighter redish brown with highlights to a dark brown with no highlights...taking a bit to get used too. (it is very close to my natural color...well I think, it has been so long! lol) Anyways my hair tends to pull red no matter what color the stylist dyes it, so I am wondering if there is a good shampoo and conditioner out there that will keep the brown...there is a bit if reddish tint in my hair now but I dont want the brown to fade. Any suggestions?

Old 10-05-2005, 08:31 AM   #2
(female)

cincbcat HB User
Re: brown hair...no red

Depending on how much you want to spend, my stylist recommends Bumble and Bumble products (sold where I get my hair done). I prefer to use Matrix Biolage for color-treated hair. It's affordable and does a great job for my hair. I only wash my hair every other day too. I don't know if this shampoo will necessarily keep the brown like you want, but it will keep the color in your hair the way it is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2005, 09:21 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

young momma HB User

Have you told your stylist that you don't like the red it gives off. It can be colored with an ashy color. It counteracts the red. There really isn't any shampoo that can do that. Shampoos make the color last longer without fading. Next time you get your hair colored, make sure you let your stylist know.

Old 10-05-2005, 04:46 PM   #4
(female)

Patriot89 HB User

I agree with the last comment. When you dye your hair brown you have a red tint or a green tint (from what i know). If you get a green tint I believe it gets rid of the red...I used Nice N Easy brown hair dye though, its brown with no red tint which made me happy! After a while it just went to a light brown with a natural look, not much red...first dye I've ever used that didn't go "brassy" or anything.

Old 10-28-2005, 04:03 PM   #5
(female)

trekgeek HB User

I know you don't want to hear it... but you need RED to make the color Brown.

What is happening? ... Your hair goes through several stages or "levels" of lightening, it goes from brown to red to orange to yellow to pale yellow (these are undertones and they exist in your hair naturally. Think about what happens when you spend a lot of time in the sun... it goes from brown to lighter brown to redish brown to yuck ... That process is your hair losing some of it's natural pigment (or color) and the only thing left is the under tone, and it's usually NOT pretty! ...) That undertone is what you are seeing, it just means that your color is fading and your undertone is showing through. Your stylist didn't do anything wrong, he/she just forgot to tell you what would happen when you left the salon...

Suggestions... invest in a color shampoo. I use Redken SEQ Espresso. (I have always had the Red problem, and I hate the way red looks on me... ) Biolage has a great set of color conditioners, and Paul Mitchell has shampoos too... They are temporary hair colors in a shampoo or conditioner form, you use it once or twice a week. The best part - it doesn't stain your hands... it is an awesome product and not too expensive (around $6.00)... Your color will definately last longer...

Happy Hair!

Closed Thread