It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2005, 08:10 AM   #1
(female)

tamsynn HB User
Laser Hair removal question??? help!

Hi,

i am thinking of getting laser hair removal done and ijust have a few questions i hope some-one here can answer for me,

-do you have to let the hair grow to a certain length before going to have the treatment done???(like with waxing)

i think i would need 3 treatments done and i am also wondering if in-between the treatments (i think there is 2 weeks between treatments) can i continue normal hair removal routines, like hair removal cream??

By the way the area that i want to get hair removed is my lip so obviousley i dont want to go around with a moustash whilst i am waiting for my next treatment. lol

I would really appriciate if someone could let me know about this as i am really curious and want to go start treatment soon,also if anyone has any advice or comments on the laser hair removal id love to hear them.

Thanks,

Tam

Old 10-11-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User
Re: Laser Hair removal question??? help!

You cannot wax or tweeze the hairs for a few weeks before laser hair removal treatments. You can shave. Your laser technician will advise you on how much or how little stubble to have for your appointment.

No hair removal creams, (depilatories) in between laser hair removal treatments. It's just too harsh on the skin and may cause irritation. Three treatments is a very low estimate. Depending on the area, you will probably need 5-8 treatments. In the beginning, treatments are spaced 4-8 weeks apart, (depending on the area) and eventually they last treatments get to be 10-12 weeks or more apart. Treatments every 2 weeks is unheard of. It takes the hairs up to 3 weeks to shed after a treatment. If needed, you can shave in between treatments.

Do lots of research. Ask the technicians questions. Make sure they are well trained. Laser school, 30+ hours. Not laser workshops or seminars hosted by the manufacturers selling the lasers on a Saturday afternoon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2005, 09:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User

Hi Tam.

You cannot use your hair removal creams before or while having treatments - it kinda defeats the purpose. Shaving is also not a good idea because it promotes thicker hair growth (although they will probably shave your lip right before treatment - but that's different - that's right before a laser is used). Anyway, once you have the treatment, you will probably not need to worry about the hair growth until maybe a week before your next treatment. If that's the case, one option is to trim the hair. You can get some cuticle scissors (because they are curved so you won't cut yourself) and trim the hair each day until your next treatment. If you do this, you will not be able to see the hair, but you will be able to feel it a little.

Good luck!

Old 10-19-2005, 08:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

In 1927 Dr. Mildred Trotter proved that shaving does NOT alter the structure of the hair. It does NOT cause hair to become coarser or darker.

You absolutely can shave during laser hair removal treatments. There is no difference between shaving a hair and trimming it with scissors. A cut hair is a cut hair.

Old 10-21-2005, 01:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

luckydarlin HB User

Actually there is a difference between shaving and cutting the hairs. Shaving will cover a larger area which will prompt more hairs to grow back, rather than trimming individual hairs that may become visible. Shaving can also irritate the skin beneath the hairs which could become sensitive before a treatment.

Closed Thread