It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2005, 11:16 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
need SHINY hair Please advice?

Hi guys what is the best product for shiny hair, my hair is so dull, no shine from my thyroid being a little off, what product works well anyone?

Old 11-25-2005, 01:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: need SHINY hair Please advice?

For healthy hair, do not use hot rollers, blow dryer, straightner, perm, hair color. Let hair grow out and keep trimming off and on until you have a head full of virgin hair. I like the Loreal Fierra Conditioner in a tube.

Processing hair will destroy the shine and damage hair.

My hair started breaking off at the scalp due to using hair color and perms too many years. I keep hair cut short now and almost have all virgin hair and it has life/shine naturally.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2005, 06:18 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

eczema_girl HB User

No chemical treatments on the hair, no heat being put near the hair, using better shampoos and conditioners...I like dove. Do more conditioning than shampooing. Like try to go more days without shampooing. Drink more water maybe will help. And um...condition more!

Old 11-28-2005, 10:47 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

dewdrop333 HB User

There is a product called Citron Shine .. its a spray ... used lightly on the hair when it is damp will give you a nice shine NOT greasy looking hair ...

If you look for products that are designed to keep fly aways undercontrol it will generally give you a nice shine too .. I dont know if your hair is curly or straight but if its curly I use frizz ease and it also gives me a nice shine while making my curls smoother

Old 11-29-2005, 05:06 PM   #5
(female)

worldtraveler HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty800
For healthy hair, do not use hot rollers, blow dryer, straightner, perm, hair color. Let hair grow out and keep trimming off and on until you have a head full of virgin hair.
I agree completely! If you take good care of your hair, you can even grow it long and still have it shiny.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:33 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

young momma HB User

{removed} Yes, you should avoid chemicals. If you already have dull hair, that would be your best bet. Including swimming pools! lol! Don't avoid them, just make sure you wash your hair immediately to get the chlorine out. Well water really sucks too. You don't have to avoid heat though. There are so many products out there to protect from heat. The best thing is to use salon products. Expensive yes! Shop around online and find the best prices before you buy. I have recently started using a product line from Matrix. It is called Sleek Look! Oh, it is so wonderful. I have never been able to get straight out of the shower and my hair be tangle free. The towel drying always seems to tangle it into a mess. I have gotten the whole line!! Shampoo and conditioner and then a leave in cream. A little goes a long way! They aren't kidding when they say dime size! lol! The cream protects it from the heat from the blow dryer. Then, a spray to keep humidity out. Keeps it frizz free.

Now, my hair, has to be straightened. If I blow dry it, it looks like I belong in some hair band from the 80's and early 90's! This cream also protects your hair from the heat from a curling iron or flat iron.

It really depends on what kind of money you would spend. I am the only one in the house that uses these products. If you have older kids (like teenage girls) keep it put up to where they can't find it! If it is possible to let it air dry and then straighten, go for that.

Give it a try! They are an awesome product line!! Goodluck!

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 12-02-2005 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Read posting rules. Do not use creditials this is a PEER support board.

Old 12-02-2005, 04:53 AM   #7
(female)

worldtraveler HB User

Sorry, young momma, but I disagree. Salon products are more expensive but not better. There are some excellent "drugstore" products and some excellent salon products. There are also some bad drugstore AND bad salon products. The name on the front of the bottle isn't what matters. It's what chemicals are used and in what quantity. (I've heard stylists say how much "purer" their chemicals are which is complete rubbish. Any simple science course will tell you that a chemical has to have certain properties or it doesn't qualify as the chemical it purports to be.) Salon shampoos and products are huge money-makers for stylists, but they aren't any better for your hair. JennyVee, there are some excellent books by a consumer advocate named Paula Begoun who cuts to the chase and tells you how to buy products that are best for your hair. The ingredients are what are most important, and finding out what ingredients are best and what are harmful and effective and ineffective is the very best way to educate yourself against high-talking sales stylists and others.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:54 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hillaryb HB User

Certain detergents in shampoo, and even conditioners can cause major damage to hair. Look up info on the names of the different ingredients and find out which ones are better. Then find products based on that info. I use a round brush and blow dry my hair daily (to smooth hair) and it doesn't affect shine. I had bleached blonde hair for a while and that wasn't very healthy looking so I dyed it back to dark brown and got it cut alot shorter, and it is getting shiny again. It will take me a year or so to get it back to great health but right now it is pretty good. I condition and use very gentle shampoo and do some deep conditioning treatments, and my hair looks very healthy.

Old 12-02-2005, 04:30 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

young momma HB User

I'm sorry. I didn't mean all salon products. I have used some that aren't very good. The Sleek Look product line, really is wonderful. I paid $16 for both shampoo and conditioner combined. That is only $8 for a bottle. When you compare to all the other products you can trial and error out of the store. It really isn't adding that much more. The shampoo I get for my husband costs $4 a bottle.

But, no not all salon products are great. I use box color! I have used Redken and haven't really noticed a difference! lol! Everyone is different. This is just what I would recommend.

Old 01-22-2006, 12:49 AM   #10
(female)

Moodie11 HB User

Hi Young Momma, just interested in what is the spray that you are referring to that keeps the humidity out? Is that from the Matriix Sleek Look line also? What is the actual name of the spray? I live here in Miami, and the humidity is a major problem when it comes to styling your here. As soon as you walk outside, forget it, my hair completely frizzes out. Thanks.

Old 01-22-2006, 01:43 AM   #11
(female)

Arita HB User

You may benefit from scalp treatments. Biolage has a good scalp treatment system with leave-in conditioners or, try Magic Bullet Hair Healer by Belavance. *I personally prefer the belavance line

Closed Thread