It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2005, 11:45 PM   #1
(female)

Deena_05 HB User
Hair coming out in a group of strands from my ends?

Let me give you some background, I don't know if it matters, or if it'll help, but...I'm gonna do it just in case:

When I was a Sophomore in high school I started to get blow-dryer happy. Every single morning I'd blow dry my hair before I went to school, sometimes two or three times if I didn't like the way my hair came out previously. In December of my Sophomore year I got my hair highlighted for the first time, and I never dyed my hair prior. So, now I had highlighted hair, I was blow drying my hair, and two months later I got a metal straightening iron...mistake, I know. Every morning I was blow drying and straightening. Later in the year I got a ceramic, but I was still doing the same damage. The duration of HS, I colored my hair two or three times, and in July, after I graduated, I went and got my hair highlighted again. I've tried to take it easy on the heat, so I've worn my hair up a majority of the time, and we're talking 99%, literally. Well, for the past month or two, I've noticed that my hair doesn't necessary fall out, but comes out in a group of a few strands at the ends of my hair, so whenever I'm in the shower washing my hair, my hands get covered in hair, and then when I go to brush it, the brush fills with it, which is usually has never done. I'm not sure if I should be worried or not, and I have no idea if all the damage I've done would cause that to happen? Maybe I need to get it trimmed more? I have no clue. I'm wondering if YOU do, haha.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2005, 11:59 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

sd2001 HB User
Re: Hair coming out in a group of strands from my ends?

It's impossible to be sure, but what it sounds like is that you have done some chemical damage to the follicles and now may be aggravating the condition by pulling it up all the time creating what is known as traction alopecia. This type of hair loss is common in women that wear their hair in tight braids, wear it in tight ponytails, etc. It sounds like you know that you have done some damage to the hair. Take it easy on it for a while. Use a mild shampoo and conditioner, take it easy on the blowdrying, and wear it down. Hopefully you will see a decrease in shedding hairs. If this doesn't slow it down in a couple of months, definitely go see a dermatologist.

Closed Thread