It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2005, 06:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

OutToLunch HB User
Can Bad Water Make Your Hair Thin?

I was just wondering if the water supply you use to wash your hair can cause your hair to thin. My hair has been thinning the last 3 years and 3 years ago, I moved into a new apartment. The reason I suspect the water might be a factor is that when I moved in, I quickly discoverd that I couldn't drink the tap water without it irritating my throat. I've lived in plenty of places and have always been able to drink the tap water. This is the first place where I couldn't. What also changed 3 years ago is that I started exercisng regularly, which meant that I would have to shower more often, usually twice a day since I do cardio in the morning and either lift weights or do more cardio in the evening. I'm not rough on my hair and don't use shampoo any more often than I did before. But if the water is bad to begin with and I'm using it twice a day, could this be a potential reason why my hair is thinning? I'm only 30, I have a low stress lifestyle (no wife, kids, high stress job, or health issues), and there's no history of baldness in my family. I'm really hoping the water is the cause.

Old 12-24-2005, 10:27 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

neflin HB User
Re: Can Bad Water Make Your Hair Thin?

I think when your hair is going to thin it will. Our one son balded at 23 and my husband and I have no history of baldness. Other son has a full head of hair. I do know that the more you worry about it the worse it will get. Nothing you can do about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2005, 11:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutToLunch
I was just wondering if the water supply you use to wash your hair can cause your hair to thin. My hair has been thinning the last 3 years and 3 years ago, I moved into a new apartment. The reason I suspect the water might be a factor is that when I moved in, I quickly discoverd that I couldn't drink the tap water without it irritating my throat. I've lived in plenty of places and have always been able to drink the tap water. This is the first place where I couldn't. What also changed 3 years ago is that I started exercisng regularly, which meant that I would have to shower more often, usually twice a day since I do cardio in the morning and either lift weights or do more cardio in the evening. I'm not rough on my hair and don't use shampoo any more often than I did before. But if the water is bad to begin with and I'm using it twice a day, could this be a potential reason why my hair is thinning? I'm only 30, I have a low stress lifestyle (no wife, kids, high stress job, or health issues), and there's no history of baldness in my family. I'm really hoping the water is the cause.
I've read online recently that 'hard' (well) water can make the hair thin.

Old 12-27-2005, 01:54 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ttc1asap HB User

When I lived at my mom's (well water) my hair got real orange. I had to keep getting treatments. All the minerals and whatever bind to the hair shaft and weigh it down, dulling it also.
I would use a swimmers shampoo or a really good clarifying shampoo and treatments. I like the Ion crystals from Sally's but you need to get the solution (add water) really hot and leave it on a while, and preferably blow dry your hair for a while while it's on...
I liked the Malibu 2000 stuff Sally's had but now it's only online {removed} .
I've had treatments at the salon that work best. They said it's better than the Malibu 2000. The one time they put it on hot it worked best - my hair went from orange, dull, and flat to real shiny bright blonde, soft and full. I was amazed. Wow - I should go get one of those this week :C)

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 12-27-2005 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Read posting rules. No how tos for searches.

Closed Thread