It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
(male)

overloaded HB User
Question about silica

Hello,

I am male...

I dont know if this is true but I heard from many people here that Silica is a great supplement for hair and that it did lots of miracles for some people..

I read a post here that its great to be taken with biotin.

So Ive decided to try it..

I went to pharmacy got 250mcg of biotin but they have no idea what is selica?
and one of the pharmacists told me that silica is not to be taken internally..

Can someone explain if its really to be taken internally and where is it possible to purchase it..

Thanks!
BTW I am in Canada.

Last edited by overloaded; 02-14-2006 at 04:08 PM.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:31 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User
Re: Question about silica

Hi, fellow Canuck. I think perchance the pharmacist thought you were talking about silica pellets which are used to keep pills dry in the bottle. Of course this silica is poisonous and not to be taken internally. In Canada Silacea Gel is not sold in drug stores usually. Some have a health section, but you can find it in the health food stores easily. This liquid form is the easiest to absorb, but organic silica is also found in the herb Horsetail (capsules or tabs). Years ago I used silacea gel for hairloss and it worked well but in the last few years I tried it again and it didn't help this time. I think for my case it helped originally to correct one of the minerals I was deficient in, but did not address all of the mineral salts that I needed. Last year I started adding the fully balanced mineral salt Himalayan crystal salt to all my food to correct my mineral deficiency. Table salt only has 2 minerals, sodium and chloride, and too much of both. Natural salt like Celtic Sea salt or Himalayan salt have 84 minerals in minute amounts that we can easily absorb and nourish the whole body including the hair and scalp. This helped my hair substantially, but what stopped the hair loss completely recently has been the addition of wheat grass juice capsules. Cereal grass juice (wheat, barleygrass, oatgrass) have every mineral and vitamin except vitamin D. (The only food sources of Vit. D are fish, egg yolks and liver) The grass juices also have every amino acid-essential and non-essential. RNA/DNA, detoxifying chlorophyl, anti-inflammatories, enzymes, anti-cancer and energy boosting properties. I have new hair growth in my part now and around my forehead hairline.

Oiling your scalp is important too for increasing circulation and nourishing the scalp. I have used sesame oil, olive oil and recently bhringaraj oil (Indian hair oil). Eating cayenne pepper, garlic and onions are very good for hair too. (Cayenne for circulation and garlic/onions have sulfur for the hair). MSM capsules supply organic sulfur to the hair without the odor!

I hope more people on this board will try the wheatgrass juice too and report their experience. I've heard great new hair growth success stories from quite a few people and know that it is working for me too.

Last edited by gort; 02-15-2006 at 09:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
(male)

overloaded HB User

Hi Gort,

So you would recommend wheatgrass juice over Silica?
And I can purschase it in any pharmacy?

Does it make any difference if I am male?

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

I don't think it matters if you're male or female because I read about a guy with the top of his head being mostly bald who drank wheatgrass juice as well as put it on his scalp every night. He said after a month he had a few hundred fully pigmented new hairs growing in that bald spot.

As for silica I would take it as well for extra boost. I don't take it anymore but I still take biotin 1000mcg. (Most hair combination supplements contain 4000mcg of biotin with He Shou Wu, Fenugreek, and a pepper extract for absorption). It all depends on your finances, though. If you can't afford both silica and wheatgrass juice capsules, I would go with the wheatgrass since it contains silica and every other vitamin & mineral known (except vitamin D) and all 22 amino acids. In short everything that our hair needs but doesn't get due to either poor diet of not enough greens, or the poor quality of produce in general because of lack of minerals in soil today.

Most outdoor grown wheatgrass or barleygrass is grown organically and have more minerals in the soil. Also, even conventionally grown wheatgrass is better fortified than other produce because the grass is harvested early in the spring before the need for pesticides. Researchers have analysed the nutrient content of cereal grasses and found it to be very concentrated and 1 ounce of juice is equal to 2.2 lbs of green vegetables. That's quite a boost of nutrients in a few capsules. You wouldn't need multivitamins anymore, except vitamin D if you don't get much sun or fish.

I don't think you can get wheatgrass capsules at pharmacies, I've never seen it. Juice bars sell 1 ounce shots at $1.50 - 2.00 Cdn, some sell it frozen. But the cheapest is in capsule form. I use Advantage Health Matters sun grown from a health food store called The Big Carrot. It is juiced first then freeze dried and put into capsules. Two of theirs equals 1 ounce of juice. Bottled in 60 caps for $34.95 Cdn.

Last edited by gort; 02-15-2006 at 01:22 PM.

Old 02-15-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
(male)

overloaded HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gort
I don't think it matters if you're male or female because I read about a guy with the top of his head being mostly bald who drank wheatgrass juice as well as put it on his scalp every night. He said after a month he had a few hundred fully pigmented new hairs growing in that bald spot.

As for silica I would take it as well for extra boost. I don't take it anymore but I still take biotin 1000mcg. (Most hair combination supplements contain 4000mcg of biotin with He Shou Wu, Fenugreek, and a pepper extract for absorption). It all depends on your finances, though. If you can't afford both silica and wheatgrass juice capsules, I would go with the wheatgrass since it contains silica and every other vitamin & mineral known (except vitamin D) and all 22 amino acids. In short everything that our hair needs but doesn't get due to either poor diet of not enough greens, or the poor quality of produce in general because of lack of minerals in soil today.

Most outdoor grown wheatgrass or barleygrass is grown organically and have more minerals in the soil. Also, even conventionally grown wheatgrass is better fortified than other produce because the grass is harvested early in the spring before the need for pesticides. Researchers have analysed the nutrient content of cereal grasses and found it to be very concentrated and 1 ounce of juice is equal to 2.2 lbs of green vegetables. That's quite a boost of nutrients in a few capsules. You wouldn't need multivitamins anymore, except vitamin D if you don't get much sun or fish.

I don't think you can get wheatgrass capsules at pharmacies, I've never seen it. Juice bars sell 1 ounce shots at $1.50 - 2.00 Cdn, some sell it frozen. But the cheapest is in capsule form. I use Advantage Health Matters sun grown from a health food store called The Big Carrot. It is juiced first then freeze dried and put into capsules. Two of theirs equals 1 ounce of juice. Bottled in 60 caps for $34.95 Cdn.

Thanks once again!
alot of useful info!

I also thought that 250mcg of biotin was not enough but the pharmacy said its the most that they sell weird..

Closed Thread