It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
(male)

Jarred2004 HB User
Unhappy 20 yrs old super thinning hair

So I'm going to be 21 in September and my hair has really really thinned over the past year and is falling our pretty fast just on the top and front. My sides are SO thick and especially my sideburns. Just a tiny bit of receding hairline, not really even bad. Basically, just top.

What does anyone recommend? I've heard about propecia? For someone my age that doesn't have an extreme problem now, but in 2 years would, do you think that'd be a good idea? What else? I just thought Propecia b/c it makes the front grow too I've heard?

Any suggestions would be AWESOME! I really want to see if there's anything I can do or let genetics take it's course. Thanks!

Old 06-09-2006, 02:09 AM   #2
(female)

di-ane HB User
Re: 20 yrs old super thinning hair

At your age it is important to care your hair especially because youre still young even if you wasn"t, if your hair is thin it is important to use the right products,mostly to use a shampoo appropriate for thin hair to give your hair more stength and volume, it is even important to have a healthy balance diet, vitamins helps a lot especially vitamin c, it is better if you go to your doctor, and talk about it, he can guide you and will give you more knowledge about your problem.

Last edited by di-ane; 06-09-2006 at 02:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2006, 04:22 AM   #3
(male)

liverock HB User

jarred 2004,

Propecia only works on small amounts of hair loss, usually on younger men,it can also have side effects.

I use flaxseeds(not flax oil) 3 tablespoons per day, ground up in a blender and sprinkled on my food. Flax seeds contain lignans which help to limit DHT, a hormone involved in hair loss. Its a lot cheaper than propecia too.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:14 PM   #4
(male)

Jarred2004 HB User

Thanks!! I appreciate y'alls help so far. Anything more would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks for taking the time!

Old 06-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #5
(male)

Jarred2004 HB User

Hey, besides the flax seeds, can you tell me what is a really good shampoo to buy for thinning hair? I have bought some Vive for Men, but don't really see much of a difference. Any other shampoo that helps with fine/thinning hair?

Old 06-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
(female)

angelofwar HB User

{REMOVED} There are several things that you can do slow down the thinning process and also see new hair growth results. First step is to see your hairdresser...really need someone that is knowledgable with Nioxin products. Nioxin slows down that thinning process. I will warn you it is expensive but so worth it. First step is to find if you are in early stages or advance stages of hair loss. Second is to figure out your hair type. (Fine to normal or medium to coarse) (Medium to coarse hair needs more moisture). They will suggest a cleanser, scalp therapy (conditioner), and treatment. (on treatments make sure if you are in advance stages they give you the foaming treatment.) There is also a follice booster for target areas of advance hair loss. You must use these products regular. Not just stop because you see a difference. I will warn the scalp therapy is minty. That stimulates the blood flow the scalp. I have used Nioxin for years. Love the product. I once had enough hair for four people. Hair is getting fuller and fuller. I will tell you Nioxin does not promote hair growth but I have had new hair growth with it. Also I know it might sound weird but Brewer's Yeast. Yes the kind you bake with. If you take a teaspoon a day (Yes it does not taste good) but will see new hair growth. But as stated by a previous person Vitamins are very important. Please do not use Rogaine. The product does not work once you stop using it. Once you stop so does your results. Hope this helps!

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-10-2006 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Read all "Sticky" posts at the top of any board that you post on. Ms_Mod

Old 06-10-2006, 03:38 PM   #7

ms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB Userms_mod HB User

As well as reading and following all posting rules, always read all "Sticky" posts at the top of any board that you post on.

Ms_Mod

Old 06-12-2006, 05:36 AM   #8
(male)

liverock HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarred2004
Hey, besides the flax seeds, can you tell me what is a really good shampoo to buy for thinning hair? I have bought some Vive for Men, but don't really see much of a difference. Any other shampoo that helps with fine/thinning hair?
I use Neways 2nd Chance Shampoo, which has some ingredients which help to counteract DHT, which is the hormone that attacks the hair follicle.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:07 PM   #9
(male)

Jarred2004 HB User

I think I am going to try some Nioxin for my hair. Do you think taking this with Flax Seeds would do well? I also have a question about the flax seeds. I looked at the store and they have a TON of Flax Oil things and then this one bad of flax seeds that seems extremely hard. Is this what I am supposed to buy to grind up?? It seems much more complicated then buying flax oil caplets and taking those. I'd much rather do that, but I am supposed to buy that bag of really hard stuff??? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:44 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

Yeah you buy the big bag of the actual Flax seeds and then you grind it up in a coffee grinder and have it over cereal, yogurt, etc. Try to do it three times a day.

Old 06-13-2006, 08:14 AM   #11
(male)

liverock HB User

Flax oil is useless for hairloss. Its the lignans in the flaxseeds that help to reduce DHT, one of the main hormones that cause hairloss.

The hard bag is probably milled flax seed which has been in the shop for ages. Go to another health food store that sells flax seeds whole,and buy a bag and grind them up in a blender as you need them. You can buy flax lignans capsules on the internet( Im not allowed to tell you where according to forum rules), but they are called Flax seed lignans 40mgs SDG/ capsules. Take 3 per day. They are a lot more expensive than buying the seeds and grinding them yourself.

If this is the first time you are attempting to do anything about your hairloss then there is one golden rule about buying and using hairloss products.

Start off with one product and use it for a minimum of 6 months to evaluate its success (or not). Only after evaluation do you add another product to see if the combination helps or not. This way you can evaluate each individual product.

If you are going to be using Nioxin then use this on its own first for 6 months to see how effective it is. You can add the flax seeds after that.

For more info check Lignans+hairloss on the net.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:31 AM   #12
(male)

denzden HB User

Hey dude a few things to help you the oils good, also vitamin H (biotin). Buy a personal laser for your hair start straight away, I have an aculas. Also start Rogaine. Take Propecia or one of those drugs but have a look at the side affects and see if you really want to. Don't do following things smoke, drink alcohol, take drugs such as coke, speed, extasy, marijuana these drugs will really make you bald in no time. Don't wash hair too much with shampoo's. Sometimes use straight water. Minimise hair products gel, wax is a good way to stop scalp breathing. Follow natural hair shape don't always try to force hair into different styles. Try not to stress out too much about hair loss and stuff what the people say about your hair loss. If you have dandruff or dermatitis use nizoral or similar some antidandruff shampoos kill hair too. These programs will help to slow down the loss but don't think they perform miracles. Learn to deal with it try these things, you have to manage your hair and don't stop treatments once you start because what you loose can't come back. Hair gets thinner and thinner until it falls out and the follicle dies (dissapears). You can bring the thin ones back to health and stop them from falling out. But the ones that are gone won't come back. The earlier you start the more hair you will have when u get older. After 30 you may consider strand by strand replacement or follicular implants. Who knows something better will come out. These are what the hair loss centres u pay big bucks for tell you. If you want book a few consultations free. Also visit a follicular implant clinic and see what they advise apart from surgery.

Closed Thread