It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #1
(female)

prndi HB User
Very oily scalp, but very dry and bitter ends. What to use for shampoo?

The ends of my hair are dry, brittle and split or break off. Because my hair grows fast I am lucky enough to be able to cut 1/2 inch every 5 weeks to keep the bad ends to a minimum. But my scalp to about 4 inches down the hairshaft gets very oily in less than 24 hours. I can never go more than a day without washing it or it just looks disgusting. If I use shampoo for oily hair then the ends dry out even more. If I use shampoo for dry hair, I can barely make it to the end of the day before the oil shows up. I've even tried 2 different shampoos in one session, but that only helped minimally. The bigger of the two problems is the oil...I hate it. I've even had my hair hilighted at the roots only to try to dry the scalp hair out, but it's not working. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jill

Old 07-15-2006, 09:09 AM   #2
(female)

di-ane HB User
Re: Very oily scalp, but very dry and bitter ends. What to use for shampoo?

As you tried both shampoos for oily and dry hair but nothing seemed to work you can try a mild shampoo as you must wash it frequently, try a mild shampoo and just do little conditioner through the ends..

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-15-2006 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Read the "Sticky" posts at the top of the board. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2006, 08:10 PM   #3
(female)

Iadinae HB User

I have the same problem. I just purchased Biolage shampoo and conditioner. It says it balances oily hair and it does. I haven't had a problem with my hair being oily by the end of the day since using it.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User

Is Biolage expensive? Where do you get it?

Old 07-18-2006, 05:01 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

I have oily scalp and had dry ends too. The solution for me was to shampoo the scalp area every day as usual but avoid washing the ends every time. I use conditioner only on the ends. It's working beautifully for me and it doesn't seem to matter what shampoo or conditioner I use. For the first time in probably 10 years, my ends look as healthy as the rest of my hair. I must be doing something right. LOL

Old 07-18-2006, 08:43 PM   #6
(female)

Iadinae HB User

I paid $30 for the shampoo and conditioner, but they are good sized bottles. They will last a long time because you don't need much.

Old 07-19-2006, 01:01 PM   #7
(female)

prndi HB User

Cookie, how do you avoid getting shampoo on the ends? I tried it once and the shampoo just runs down the length of my hair anyway while I'm rinsing it. Do you condition it first so that shampoo doesn't penetrate? Another thing, I have layers in my hair so it's kinda hard not to get the ends of alot of it.

Old 07-19-2006, 01:43 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

Prndi,
I just message the shampoo in the scalp and if it flows down the rest of my hair as I'm washing or rinsing, that's ok. I know what a pain the layers are. What I did, and still do, is put it on the ends after shampooing. After the hair dries, you might find other dry areas you missed and you can put a little more on. I'll keep using the extra conditioner on my ends to keep them soft and healthy looking. It's a lot easier now that it's all one length again.
It takes a while to see the improvement but the extra effor is so worth it.
No more layered cuts for me.

Old 07-23-2006, 04:22 AM   #9
(female)

littears HB User

go to the store and but the oil blotting papers for your face covergirl makes them use these at the top of your scalp to absorb moisture and oil. wash hair every other day. when you condition only do the ends your scalp is producing enough for your hair good luck.

Old 07-29-2006, 07:36 AM   #10
(female)

dorsia HB User

I do the same thing Cookie does. I use Dove weightless moisturizers (normal to oily shampoo and extra hydrating conditioner). It works.

Closed Thread