It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2006, 10:58 PM   #1
(female)

sdjansen HB User
Dry, flaky, scabbed, itchy scalp-HELP

I dont know what is wrong with my scalp, it started about 3 years ago and steadily gotten worse. I get these chunks of dry scalp that feel like scabs and they drive me crazy so I end up picking at them whick makes them worse and also causes little bald spots that you cant notice now but I know if I keep this up you will be able to see it soon. I have tried T-Gel, Denerex, Head and shoulders, and all sorts of creams and sprays and nothing seems to help. It doesnt go away if I dont pick at them either. I havent been to see a dermotologist because I dont have insurance and I live on a waitress salary, but this is getting out of hand. I have even tried to change my diet thinking it was something I was eating, and that didnt help. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas because this is driving me crazy and it hurts really bad.

Old 07-29-2006, 10:08 AM   #2
(female)

Texanne HB User
Re: Dry, flaky, scabbed, itchy scalp-HELP

Sounds like psoriasis. That's what mine does on the scalp. If you can't go to a derm, keep using the the Denorex, extra strength or the strongest concentration of Coal Tar Shampoo that you can stand. Then, there is a clear liquid called Scalpicin ($9) that is 3% Salicylic Acid (which is what is in Extra Strength Denorex) that you can put on your scalp to help with the itching. The chunks of dry scalp are called plaques and are text book psoriasis of the scalp. Yes, it is a drag. You can try to get UV light on your scalp, which is really hard if you have long or thick hair, and that probably works best, for free. Vinegar can give you a lot of relief for cheap, too. I have gone to a derm in the past, and there are cortisone steriods that you can apply to your scalp, which work fabulously for a few years, but then you become immune and are right back where you started, which is where I am right now. I don't want to use ointments, because of the hair issue. Try a vinegar soak, (Apple Cider is best), then a Coal Tar shampoo, and the Scalpicin for relief between shampoos, and try to stick with it for a few weeks, if you can. Diet doesn't seem to help me, but avoiding stress and anxiety does. Psoriasis, if that is indeed what you have, is an auto-immune disorder, and can be triggered by stress. There is lots of information out there, so you should be able to find stuff.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Texanne; 07-29-2006 at 10:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2006, 01:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I think the scalpacin after shampooing is a good idea to help slough off the built up skin.

Your problem could also be related to yeast and I think you should firstly try Nizoral. Make sure you read the instructions carefully.

Definitely make an appointment with a dermatologist to get properly diagnosed.

quincy

Old 08-02-2006, 06:55 PM   #4
(female)

divadebi HB User

Glad I read this - I have been having the same problem, but I thought it was nerves. I feel like I have clawed my poor scalp like a wildcat!!! I have tried all the other products too, so I am going to try olive oil next. It seems to heal alot but salacytic acid is in some cosmetics, so I guess I'll try that also. Gettin' old ain't for sissies.

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-02-2006 at 07:51 PM.

Old 08-04-2006, 06:59 AM   #5
(female)

Texanne HB User

Hey folks,

Just so you know Psoriasis has nothing to do with aging. My dad was diagnosed with it around age 20, while he was in the Navy. My diagnosis came around my mid-30's, but I've always had an itchy, flaky scalp, but had success with vinegar. I think that the stress of having two kids, and other things brought out the plaques and what appeared to be really heavy dandruff. It was so embarrassing.

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-04-2006 at 08:36 AM.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:13 AM   #6
(male)

strubenuff HB User

Apple cider vinegar generally does wonders for a flaky scalp, although if you have a more serious condition than simple dandruff you'll want to treat the underlying cause. Just massage it in, let dry, wash it clean. Do it every day for a week and you shouldn't be able to see flakes anymore.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:27 PM   #7
(female)

djoyv HB User

The salicitic acid solution works very well and you can apply several times a day. Yeast infection of the scalp is very hard to diagnos and causes the same symptoms. I had been to 4 dermatologists that missed it over 4 years until the fith finally caught it. The cure for that is a Rx antifungal shampoo. If you can not afford a dr. appt. try asking a pharmacy if its really necessary to have a Rx for it, the antifungal shampoo. Or you could try to find a community clinic. The Scalpicin will really help regardless.

Closed Thread