It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2006, 08:23 PM   #1
(female)

pearl2 HB User
can you get lice in a hair salon?

I know this is probably going to open up a big can of worms, but can you get lice in a hair salon? I've had this discussion with several people who all say it's 'highly unlikely'.....I don't agree. If someone uses the same brush from one customer to the next - which I thought was not allowed by the State but salon managers have told me different - can you not get lice from it if that brush was used on someone who had it?

Old 09-09-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
(female)

pearl2 HB User
Re: can you get lice in a hair salon?

So nobody has thought of this while sitting in a chair having a brush run through your hair? Or doesn't anyone watch to see where they put the brush after they're finished? My friend's stylist puts it right back in the drawer.....does anyone else's stylist do this? Most people I talk to say they don't pay attention and have no idea where it ends up.
AND while doing a search on here for this very thing, I found a posting from a young lady who said her stylist told her she had very bad dandruff when she questioned that stylist about lice (her head had been itching for months and she didn't know why). She posted the very next day saying it had been confirmed that she did indeed have head lice.....and there she had sat, in a salon, with her stylist actually looking through her head, telling her she had 'dandruff'.

Last edited by pearl2; 09-09-2006 at 05:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2006, 09:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

I haven't thought about this while sitting in the chair. Even though I realize my stylist doesn't use a freshly sanitized brush on me each time, there's never any hair in the brushes she uses. I've seen her clean my hair from the brush before she puts it back in the drawer. According to The National Pediculosis Association (the lice expert) a head louse will not survive for more than 24 hours off of its human host. So maybe just to be safe, you should schedule your appointments to be the first in the chair after your stylist has had a day off. Or, take your own brush.

Last edited by Choice; 09-10-2006 at 09:25 PM.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #4
(female)

cb50 HB User

actually, there is hair left in the brush, always will be, as there's no way to remove every little piece of hair from those brushes. The round ones are the worse. Yes, you may see her pull some out, but there will always be some left behind....always.
And just for the record, lice can live up to 48 hours off a human host. But I personally don't care how long they live if they're in a hair salon - any length of time is too long.

Oh....and as for the lice only clinging to the hair....they move around on the head and it is possible to pick one up with the brush bristles without it attached to an actual strand of hair, especially those freshly hatched and moving freely on the head.

Last edited by cb50; 09-10-2006 at 02:51 PM.

Old 09-10-2006, 03:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

I'd say you're best bet is to go a salon where they sanitize everything (combs, brushes, etc.). The salon I go to does that.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

In schools lice will hop from one kid's coat to another causing most kids in the school to be treated for lice.

Yes, lice will be in the brush, might be clinging to brush bristles or in hair left on the brush.

Brushes should always be sanitized, not sure if this would actually kill the lice or not. Most salons toss brushes under a light and pull them out almost immediately to use on the next person. Technically the brushes are not santitzed unless they are left there long enough.

I would be very cautious when choosing a salon. This makes me very glad my husband is good at cutting my hair at home. Does a great job too, being an engineer helps too.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:04 PM   #7
(female)

pearl2 HB User

But how do you find a place like that? It is unbelievable how many places do not sanitize from one customer to the next, and from what I've been told by the State dept, every single stylist is suppose to be doing that, they are never to use the same combs and brushes more than once. So how do you find a place that sanitizes? I've tried calling and have caught so many in a blatant lie who say of course they sanitize and nevereverever use the same brush and comb twice...and this is right after someone I know has just been there.

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-10-2006 at 08:27 PM.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:23 PM   #8
(female)

cb50 HB User

I have a real problem with getting my hair cut, I think salons are some of the filthiest places ever, just walk into one and watch. My husband is just appalled at the fact that they don't sanitize. I would never grab a hat in a store and try it on, so why on earth would I want a hairbrush in my hair that's just been in someone else's? I will go get my hair cut maaaaaybe every couple of years, longer if I do it myself with help. And they never dry it, just cut it and leave it wet, although I have had times in the past where they want to 'try something' and will grab a brush and have it in my hair before I can stop them. And for the next week I'm traumatized. Absolutely hate it. And then when I do go and the person cutting is asks why I don't get it cut more often like I should, it's all I can do to be nice and not say anything.

Reminds me of a story a co-worker told me - a dad had taken his 5 kids in to get their hair washed and cut for school. The stylist was finished with 2 kids and was half-way through the third when she saw it - lice. All 5 had it. The salon was immediately shut down. Seems as if dad knew they all had it and thought all they needed was a good hair washing.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:48 AM   #9
(female)

lemmahow HB User

At the salon I go to I physically see my hair dresser gettingout a fresh (sanitised) brush prior to using it on my hair.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:09 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Pearl -

You have to go into the salons and check them out for yourself. They can tell you anything over the phone. My salon actually has the hair tools soaking in sanitizer.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:03 PM   #11
(female)

pearl2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmahow
At the salon I go to I physically see my hair dresser getting out a fresh (sanitised) brush prior to using it on my hair.

Where is she getting it from? The drawer, or is it actually soaking like kitty stated? To tell you the truth, I'm not really sure what they're suppose to be doing or where they're suppose to be.....

Closed Thread