It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2006, 12:40 AM   #1
(male)

2muchdrugs28 HB User
Any tips for severe dandruff, irritated scalp

All,
I am going nuts with my dandruff. I've tried all of the over-the-counter shampoos: Zinc, Selenium Sulfide, Salicylic Acid, and Nizoral. Nothing really helps. If I shampoo in the morning, I'll have dandruff all over my scalp in the evening -- especially when the weather is cold. My scalp is red and irritated. If I don't shampoo for one day, my hair gets extremely oily.

This started for me last spring and it was not a problem during the summer when the weather was warm. I went to my dr. and she thought that I just had dry scalp from shampooing every day.

Does anyone have advice? I have tried vinegar. It hasn't helped. I haven't tried the coal tar shampoos yet.

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2006, 06:43 AM   #2
(female)

My Name is Mudd HB User
Re: Any tips for severe dandruff, irritated scalp

One of the most popular shampoos for a dry, irritated scalp is Nioxin... have you tried that yet? It's formulated to clean your scalp and put the skin back in it's proper balance... Have you checked with a dermatologist to see if it's possibly a fungal infection you are experiencing rather than day-to-day dandruff?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
(male)

2muchdrugs28 HB User

Actually, I have some Nioxin, but I haven't tried it yet. The package says Nioxin should be used for thinning hair, which really isn't my problem, so I haven't used it.

I haven't seen a dermatologist, but my regular dr. does not think that I have a fungal problem. I don't have a lot of confidence in her opinion, but my health insurance is not very good so it would be prohibitively expensive for me to see a dermatologist at the moment.

thanks

Last edited by 2muchdrugs28; 11-07-2006 at 02:28 PM.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:45 AM   #4
(female)

My Name is Mudd HB User

The Nioxin is touted as a "hair loss" cure but it really isn't... What it does is clean your scalp (and hair follicles) of any excess sebum that may be present which is what you want... I'm glad you got checked for an infection... it is incredibly common and very treatable... I'd give the Nioxin a try... if it works, you will notice a difference within about a week or two...

Hope this helps!

Old 11-09-2006, 10:45 PM   #5
(female)

SweetAmy87 HB User

Try mixing baking soda with your shampoo, it gets all of the build up out and made my mild dandruff go away. just dont do it every day, if it works id do it once every 2 weeks

Old 11-13-2006, 11:41 PM   #6
(male)

2muchdrugs28 HB User

All,
I tried the Nioxin. It seemed like it was working really well for the first few days. Then the weather got cold and I've had terrible dandruff since it got cold. Seriously, when I have something brush up against my hair (such as taking off a sweatshirt), it looks like someone sprinkled parmesian cheese all over my head.

I think that I have to see a dermatologist.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Have you tried Denorex? It works well for my husband's dandruff.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:22 AM   #8
(female)

alltaurus HB User

All of these suggestions are good ideas. I would also try B-Complex vitamins and Garlic Oil Caplets. If this seems to happen more in the winter add Omega-3 Fatty Acid Caplets too.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:08 AM   #9
(female)

Msminnamouse HB User

Have you tried using Selsun blue? I use the bottle that has the medicated option. I have long, thick hair but this product seems to be really working and I haven't quite used it two times a week or more like they advise.

I also have a prescription of Hydrocortisone Butyrate. You could ask your doctore about obtaining it or atleast for some information.

Asprin rinses also help clear away dandruff.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:04 PM   #10
(male)

2muchdrugs28 HB User

All,
Thanks for the tips. I have tried all of the non-prescription shampoos: stuff with salicylic acid, selenium sulfide, nizoral, and the zinc stuff, just about everything except for the coal tar formulas. The stuff that I have tried does not help. My dandruff is wierd because I only get flakes (small flakes) when something rubs up against my hair, such as when I remove a hat or when I take off my shirt. However, when I get flakes, I get a ton of them.

Has anyone put baby oil in their hair? I have a really dry scalp and have heard that baby oil can help.

thanks,

Last edited by 2muchdrugs28; 11-15-2006 at 09:05 PM.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:45 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Is there any particular reason why you haven't tried the coal tar shampoos? Denorex (coal tar) is the only kind that works for my husband's dandruff.

Last edited by kittywitty; 11-15-2006 at 10:49 PM.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:36 PM   #12
(male)

2muchdrugs28 HB User

It seems like the coal tar side effects are difficult to manage. From what I have read, the shampoo stinks and it stains linens. Are there any other problems with it? How often does your husband use the coal tar shampoo?

thanks,

Old 11-16-2006, 06:49 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

He uses it about 2-3x/wk. When his dandruff stops, he stops using it, and uses regular shampoo. Then, after a while, when the dandruff comes back, he repeats the cycle. He doesn't think it stinks, says it smells 'minty'. He's also never heard of it staining linen. Maybe that happens if it's not rinsed out properly?

Old 11-17-2006, 02:07 AM   #14
(female)

Msminnamouse HB User

If you don't like the way it smells, use a gentle shampoo as a second rinse to rinse the smell away.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:57 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

brook65 HB User

Hi - I just couldn't resist telling you my tip on removing dandruff quickly.

I got so fed up of large flakes over clothes, through my hair etc, that one day I put a small brush nozzle on the end of my vacume cleaner and went over my hair with it!!

I know this sounds mad - but it does work, and is great if you have a date out or something. Obviously this is temporary, but great for a quick fix.

Use a clean brush ofcourse. lol

best of luck

Last edited by brook65; 11-17-2006 at 07:59 PM.

Closed Thread