It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006, 09:41 PM   #1
(female)

Living Proof HB User
embarrassed about facial hair

So I'm 17, and recently I started to notice more hair on my body. Namely, my face. I started to grow quite a bit of dark hair above my upper lip over the summer that I constantly seem to be bleaching and plucking. I also have started to grow a lot of dark hair on my neck and chin. I have noticed that the "peach fuzz" all girls have on their face is starting to get a little thicker, especially on the side of my face and along my jaw line. Also, I have noticed a few long dark hairs growing between my breasts and the hair on my arms has gotten thicker.. I think I might be getting some on my back as well.. This is really gross and embarrassing, and I keep it plucked and bleached and whatnot but it's getting harder to keep up with. I dont want to shave it because I know it will just come back even worse. I don't know how to talk about it with anyone and I've tried to talk to my mom about it but she dosent believe me. I think something wierd is going on with my body. I'm hypoglycemic and I don't know if maybe that's just getting worse or maybe somehow related.....

HELP!

The following user gives a hug of support to Living Proof:
any7 (01-10-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2006, 10:42 PM   #2
(female)

mlieteau HB User
Re: embarrassed about facial hair

Hi Living Proof,

I had a similar problem. I have very fair skin and very dark hair. I started to develop a lot of thick facial hair (chin, upper lip, sides of face) in my early 20s, and I tried everything - tweezing (which sometimes left little scabs), shaving (grew back coarser), bleaching (couldn't use it all over face), etc.

I even got hideous hair bumps on my face from ingrown hairs, and when I released the hairs with tweezers, I got bloody scabs. I had a serious problem with facial hair and I would cry about it. It was so embarrasing.

My hair problem was not caused by any medical issue, so the fact that you are experiencing this does not necessarily mean that you have a medical issue, but if you have concerns in that regard, see your doc. For people pre-disposed to "hairyness", it tends to worsen with age - so that may be why yours is becoming more and more noticeable.

What worked for me?

LASER HAIR REMOVAL. I saw a dermatologist who recommended it. The technology has come a long way in recent years. It worked a miracle for me.
After 6 months of treatments once a month, much of the hair was gone completely and what grows back is very fine. I regret that I waited so long to do it.

Things to note if you consider laser hair removal:
(1) See a board certified dermatologist for the treatment - they have a lot of places that are "spas" and "estiticians" who do it from store fronts, and I have heard many horror stories about people being burned.

(2) Research the laser the derm you see uses, some are thought to be more gentle than others.

(3) The derm will do a test patch of skin (usually under your chin where it is not visible) to see if you can tolerate the laser - some people cannot b/c of their skin, melanin, etc.

(4) Side effects: redness for several hours after the laser, it is not completely painless, although they will give you a topical cream to numb the skin which helps (I tolerated it pretty well and I do not have a very high threshold for pain), face may be a little sore the next day.

(5) Not exactly cheap and insurance won't cover it b/c its cosmetic. (You'll have to take that up with your mom). My chin and upper lip ran me about $150 per treatment. Could be more and could be less, but be selective about whom you let do the procedure - don't just go for whose cheapest.

Sorry my post is so long! I thought it was worth every penny and I am so happy to not have to tweeze, shave, bleach or be bothered whatsoever with what was becoming very unsightly facial hair PERMANENTLY (so far...its been about three years post treatment).

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by mlieteau; 12-12-2006 at 11:01 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to mlieteau:
gail013 (03-10-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2006, 10:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

You are describing a growth pattern that is seen in women with hormone imbalances, most commonly, PCOS, Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome. Are your periods regular?

You mentioned you are hypoglycemic. Do you see a physician regularly? Stop plucking the hair and let your doctor see the hair. They tend to not take it seriously unless they actually see the amount of hair you have. In addition to being tested for PCOS, ask for an insulin resistance test.

Electrolysis (FDA cleared for permanent hair removal) and Laser Hair Removal (FDA cleared for permanent hair reduction) are currently the only options to get rid of the hair. Electrologists that have additional training in laser hair removal are the true hair removal experts. Physicians, even board certified dermatologists, are not trained in hair removal. Often the laser manufacturers will have their sales staff train the doctor and the staff. This is not sufficient training. 30+ hours training at a school specializing in laser hair removal is the minimum you should accept.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
(female)

prisi_ort HB User
Unhappy Re: embarrassed about facial hair

Ok IM 1* and I have peach FUzz All on my cheeks that connects to my upper lip but i get that waxed.I feel so self contious about it bcuz i told my boyfriend man i have peach fuzz and he was like i know u have it on ur side burns and cheecks some spots come out dark so i bleach them but its such a hasel. I wish that I could just get something done already i dont want to shave it I jus want it gone. I heard that electrolysis is 35 dollars every 10 min. i was wondering how many treatments You would have to go through at that speed because thats all I can afford right now . Or am I too young because its not noticable but when its on you its noticable so I just wanted to know what u guys think because seems like u guys know what to do and not too. So Please Respond !!!

thanx!

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-22-2006 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Please do not post your age if you are under 17. Ms_Mod

Old 12-22-2006, 04:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

Electrolysis prices vary greatly depending on location and overhead. $35 for 10 minutes is above the norm. National average is $60-$80 an hour. Call around. Consultations are usually free and the electrologist can see the hair and give you an estimate on treatment time. If you are under 18, a parent will need to go with you for the consultation.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:13 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User

Laser hair removal is good. Prices are different at each location. There's a place here that will do your upper and lower lip for $40 a treatment. You can get it done once every 4 weeks. So $40 a month isn't too bad.

Old 12-23-2006, 07:45 PM   #7
(female)

prisi_ort HB User

Ok well i dont want to get laser done. I think that it might hurt more than electrolysis. Like I just want to know if any of you guy have had it done and what the outcome is ? WEll ther's a place neer my school so I'll go ther and see how much it is! Do You guys think that its better to get it done now since im 1* or later on? !
Thanx!

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-23-2006 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Once again, if you are under the age of 17 please do not post your age. Ms_Mod

Old 01-02-2007, 12:41 PM   #8
(female)

Living Proof HB User

sigh.... I really don't know what to do. I made an appointment to go have my hormone levels tested.. I am concerned about the hair, but i think i'm more concerned about the reasons why it's there. I'm to the point where i dont care about the pain of lasers or whatever, i just want the cheapest most effective and permanent solution.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:25 PM   #9
(female)

prisi_ort HB User
Wink Re: embarrassed about facial hair

I have thought of going to my doctor and asking and so I did and she didnt notice it and then this lady has the nerve to tell me what you need is some acne cream come on I was pms ... this week ok. Well SO I went and she said you cant notice anything and I was Like its beacuse I bleach it and you cant see it only when You in a bright like , like the sun and she said no you dont need anything she didnt even bring up getting it tested so thats why i have no choice but to go get electrolysis and get it removed . You should just try you now 35$ a month now thats pretty good and you wont have to worry about it. I just hate how like to us we can see it beacuse its on our bodies and doctors dont even care when its what we want. I get so frustrated...but thats my Opinion . You have thick hair on your arms who cares about that I have it on my waist and my stomach but I dont have it bad but in my stomach i jus shave under my belly button and thats it . You should go and get bleaching cream and jus bleach the areas you really notice the most and then till you can afford it go get electrolysis .

Dont be mad about because maybe its not that bad but if it belongs to you we notice every little thing but you should go to your doctor and see what they say ok .

Old 01-07-2007, 08:10 PM   #10
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User

Has anyone tried waxing kits or sugaring for the facial area? I have some dark hairs growing above my upper lip. I have seen homemade recipes for sugaring, but I'm a little afraid since my skin is kind of sensitive - I'm afraid it will get red (how embarrassing). Also, I've heard that you use cloth strips with the sugaring. I'm not sure what cotton muslin is, but I guess that's what is often used. Can I use just any old strips? Like cut up cloth?

Old 01-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #11
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User

Have you also considered bleaching? I've heard that's better than waxing, but how long does it last? My hair grows back pretty fast, so I'm not sure that that would be a better solution than waxing. I've heard that Nair for faces is good. Again, though, not sure how long it lasts. I'm just sick of shaving, but not really into lasers or electrolysis.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:12 AM   #12
(female)

Living Proof HB User

i bleach the hair on my face.. i'd say i have to do it once every week and a half... it's kind of annoying having to do it so often, but I don't want to wax it and have to wait for it to grow back at a certain length to do it again......

Old 01-09-2007, 07:38 AM   #13
(female)

kitten86 HB User

Hi,

This caught my eye, because I started noticing facial hair around the exact same age as you and it has gotten worse. It started out with just a few strands on my chin , that i plucked. Then more "sprouted" and I started using creams like sally hansen facial hair remover and nair. Soon my hair seemed to be too resistant to the creams and my skin was starting to get irritated and burn a little , and the creams just werent taking the hair away. So finally around the middle of last year , I started shaving that area. I also have light hair on my upper lip and a few fine longer hairs under my chin closer to my neck As of now, I have to shave my chin EVERYDAY , most of the time twice a day because of stubble. Its gotten worse , because the area I shaved is starting to turn dark like a little shadow. The hair there coarser and new hairs seem to be poppin up here and there. I have to cover with makeup everytime I shave.I recently purchased this product called "HAIR OFF" . It's a facial hair "buffer" and it feels a little like micro sandpaper . I only use it for the hair on my lip though. Its fairly ok, its a little better than waxing, because I dont have those little bumps afterwards. Its like your literally sanding the hair off your face.After I use it, most of the fine hair is gone, but the skin feels irritated....
Anyway, my insurance just kicked in and I am going to the doctor to see what the problem might be. I have a few other problems too, so I want to make sure its not a hormone imbalance .After I talk with her I will be looking into getting laser hair removal .From what I read on here and see, it is successful . Whatever you decide , make sure you discuss it with your doctor and parents to make sure you dont need to take hormones or anything first. Im very excited about maybe being able to do the laser treatment, because I believe this will finally be the solution Ive been looking for. If my doctor elects that its ok for me to have, I will post my sessions on here for you guys to read, to see the how far it will be coming along, and describe the session and my progress. Some of the doctors Ive been researching have payment plans or maybe you can just work on one area at a time if it is too expensive. Tips Ive been told as far as finding the right doctor is to look at how long they've been in the business , their credentials, and try to avoid places that make you pay the total upfront.You dont want to pay full price for something that may end up not even working. Also, there is electrolysis , but that would be better if you just have a few hairs, not a whole chinful Do lots of research and ask lots of questions to your doctor and Good luck in whatever you decide to go with.

Last edited by kitten86; 01-09-2007 at 07:49 AM.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:27 AM   #14
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User

Living proof, do you use a bleaching kit, or just hydrogen peroxide? I've heard that using regular old 3% peroxide will bleach hair, but it takes at least a week of applying it every day to get it to blonde. I'm not that happy about waiting that long (my hair is very dark), but I'm afraid to try a bleaching solution that could bother my sensitive skin.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:27 AM   #15
(female)

Living Proof HB User

I use a bleaching kit.. "Jolen Cream Bleach" .. It dosent really irritate my skin, and I have fairly sensitive skin as well. It does burn sometimes, just make sure you don't do it right after you wash your face and your pores are open.

Thank you for your post Kitten, it was very helpful, and I'm very excited for you to be able to do the hair removal!

Closed Thread