It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
(female)

alondraarr HB User
Thinning Hair

"About a yr ago i noticed that i was losing alot of hair and thought
that perhaps it was just stress, soon after that i realized the
medication i was taking caused hair loss. i stopped taking it right away(that
was in nov. 05) that dec. i went to get a hair cut and realize i had a
thinning spot towards the front of my hair line, but i convinced myself
that it was just stress and the meds. my hair continued to fall out.
this past feb. i found out i was pregnant and i was very overwhelmed, i
had just started a new job, i was in a new city, my husband had returned
from a yr. long tour in japan, and now i was pregnant. i became very
stressed out and also became depressed. through out the whole pregnancy
i believe i was anemic, but didnt have any blood work done till my 7m
of pregnancy, and i was, i then started to take iron pills, but didnt do much for me. i have since had the baby and my hair still falling out. i
understand that after having a baby you loose some hair, but its been a
consistant thing. I feel great emotionally and physically other than the
stress i have over my hair loss. what is going on with me??? PLEASE
SOMEONE RESPOND!"

Old 12-24-2006, 04:53 AM   #2
(female)

tandjsmom HB User
Re: Thinning Hair

WAS it birth control? You might of messed up your hormone levels. Pregnancy and post pregnancy just extended the problem. Have you seen a doctor?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
(female)

alondraarr HB User

no birth control. i did go to the dr, and he said i had TE, but as happy as i was to know it was only temp. it was short lived, since my hair continues to fall out. i am only 22 and it is so hard to know tha this is actually happening to me. i should be thankful that this is the only thing wrong w/ me, and not something life threatning, but it sure does hurt the self-esteem.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:52 AM   #4
(female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

I know how you are feeling. I'm 32, but still too young for thinning hair!!! I *just* got back from my dermatology appt. at Cleveland Clinic this week. Here are some things the doctor told me...maybe these will help you...

1. Hair will still fall out 3-6 months after cause or trigger of hair loss. For instance, if you stopped taking medication NOW, you could still be losing hair in June. The hair loss will continue if you have additional triggers...stress being a big one.

2. Shedding does not cause total hair loss. It will grow back. If you have a healthy scalp and otherwise healthy hair.

3. Do yoga...find some way to decrease stress.

4. Take a mulivitamin with iron.

5. Take Biotin Forte 3 mg with Zinc. Doctor stressed importance of both biotin and zinc for healthy hair.

Again, the doctor told me stress over the hair loss is doing nothing to stop the hair loss...most likely, making it continue.

Hope this helps.

Jennifer

Old 12-31-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
(female)

alondraarr HB User

thanks for the support! its nice to here someone understands. i just wish my hair would stop falling out. its becoming a little noticeable on the top, i hate it! i keep on thinking it will grow, but it sure does seem like forever.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
(female)

noodles3 HB User

It is very common to lose hair after pregnancy. Other causes are hormonal imbalance (pregnancy, going off birth control pills, menopause), thyroid problems, side effect from a drug, vitamin deficiency. GNC makes a hair skin and nails formula that I like.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:42 PM   #7
(female)

pink crush HB User

Similar thing has happened to me. (talk about being deppressed for a few days) I know that part of the contributing factor in the hair thinning (front of my hair) was the overuse of chemicals (constant hair dying and occasionally relaxing it) it just took a toll on my hair. It began by "breaking" off to looking rather fine...I've since left the hair chemicals alone, gave all those breakaways a good cut and here I am; hair is looking better.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:13 AM   #8
(female)

yvonneoct12th HB User

Check your hormone levels a low thyroid causes hair loss also, it you have had your hormones tested ask them to retest to check for hypothyroidism it took them 4 test to diagnose me. My hair is very fragile it falls out if I run my hands through I also have to take vitamens for my hair which you can buy at your local GNC or Good Earth.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #9
(female)

alondraarr HB User

Just to answer to a few of the replies i have gotten blood work done recently and everything came back normal. i am also taking vitamins!

Old 01-11-2007, 02:32 PM   #10
(female)

noodles3 HB User

I want to give you a heads up...get a copy of your labs. There are new ranges for TSH and some docs use the old ranges. Just check things over yourself to be sure.

Closed Thread