It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 08:02 PM   #1
(female)

Msminnamouse HB User
Stomach line hair

I'm a female and I have dark, thick hair. I have hirsutism but most of it I can treat but the line under my navel is very annoying. I've tried using products like Nair but I get stubble the next day. I wax or pluck but the hair breaks off. Shaving would make it worse. I can't afford hair removal laser or pulsar right now. I also use Vaniqua on it, it helps but not much.

I also always have ingrown hairs there, even when I don't try to remove any hair. I use Saylcidic acid but it doesn't help.

Any suggestions please?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2006, 11:49 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User
Re: Stomach line hair

You say you can't afford laser hair removal. Did you go to an office and get a quote on how much it would cost? If its too much try a different clinic. There's a place here that charges per session. If you can only afford one treatment every few months that's fine with them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

For laser or electrolysis to be effective, you MUST stick to a schedule. The hairs MUST be treated when they are in the anagen phase (actively growing). Any clinic that doesn't understand this, doesn't understand their profession. Or if they understand it, but still allow patients to have treatments "whenever" they are doing the patient a disservice.

Laser is typically paid for by the area treated. Electrolysis fees are usually based on the amount of time the electrologist works. You may be able to short electrolysis treatments. Don't discount either until you've checked them out completely...consultations.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Alagaesia HB User

Well I've been going in for laser treatments for about 2 1/2 years for my upper lip. I went in every 4 weeks like I was supposed to for about a year and a half but the hair was still growing. It did diminish so I started going every 6 weeks but its still there. That's why I talked about going in for a treatment whenever you feel like it. If its not gonna work long term then you can get it removed if/when needed. They won't allow you to come in before the 4 weeks is up though. For me its not working long term. The hair will disapear for a few weeks which is good but I don't want to pay monthly for it. I'll go if it starts to get bad.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:13 PM   #5
(female)

Msminnamouse HB User

Maybe they're not using a strong enough setting??

Is Pulsar or Laser better?

Old 12-30-2006, 01:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

Four weeks is too often for laser hair removal. For facial hair, it should be about 6 weeks in between treatments 1 and 2, about 8 weeks in between treatments 2 and 3, then 10-12 weeks between future treatments. If it's not going to work long term, why do it? With laser you are paying for permanent hair reduction. Maybe you aren't a good candidate (dark coarse hair, pale skin) for laser. They should have come to this conclusion long before you spent 2 1/2 years having treatments. Electrolysis will work on anyone's hair.

If by pulsar you mean IPL, intense pulse light, laser is a better option for hair removal.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
(female)

Msminnamouse HB User

How come laser is better?

Old 01-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

Lasers use one wavelength (either 755nm, 810nm, or 1064nm, depending on the color of the skin) to target the pigment of the hair. IPL's are multiple wavelengths, many of which are wasted because they are ineffective on hair. This lowers the energy of the wavelengths that do effect the hair.

Closed Thread