It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
(female)

haivan HB User
Angry Does Hairspray and excessive straightening damage your scalp and thin out your hair?

i have this problem with my hair...im afraid it seems to be thinning for two years i've been using a great deal of hairspray (bed head hard head) and i straighten my hair with an iron...recently i've been noticing that i have less hair than i did last year...i'm afraid it seems to be thinning....i looked at my scalp and noticed that there is dry skin formations that flake off to expose pink flesh that bleeds...i pick my my scalp at times..but my hair seems to be thinning...and i'm scared out of my wits....help!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

Last edited by haivan; 01-08-2007 at 04:47 PM.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
(male)

Calhoun HB User
Re: Does Hairspray and excessive straightening damage your scalp and thin out your hair?

Most of the time when women loose hair it has something to do with hormones. If you are older over 40 the maybe the change of life younger if you are on birth control that can make hair fall out. But picking at your scalp can make scars and the hair may not grow back. if they are round spots like the size of a nickel this could be stress hair loss. Most of the time this will grow back. The spots seem to move around on your head when you have this. Talk to your Dr about it before it is all gone.

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-08-2007 at 07:39 PM. Reason: See my post below. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
(female)

haivan HB User
Re: Does Hairspray and excessive straightening damage your scalp and thin out your hair?

other than stopping the bad habit of picking at my scalp.....is there anything that i could use to stop the scars from forming?
any products or treatments?

Old 01-09-2007, 04:28 AM   #4
(male)

Calhoun HB User

You could try a tea tree shampoo. And something to stop the damage from the flat iron. Canopy is good from Nexus or Redkin has one I forgot the name of it.
Picking your head maybe a habit you just have to break. I just to twist my hair when I was driving, did not even think about it. it started to break my hair. My hand would just go up with much thinking about it. I just started to catch my self and stopped.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

I would definitely see a dermatologist about the dryness and scalp bleeding before going any further.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

proteus_46 HB User

Emu oil will help any type of abrasive wound heal quickly. It only takes
a small amount and it will be absorbed by your skin/scalp. Most health food
stores carry it.{REMOVED}

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-09-2007 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Please do not copy and paste material from other sources. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread