It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User
Going to Dermatologist for Scalp Problems?

Ever since I can remember, I've had very dry skin and scalp. My scalp has patches of dry skin that flake off. It used to be worse than it is now - I've been using generic 2% Nizoral, which has helped, but not solved the problem. Though my flaking is much lighter and not as noticeable, it's still there. So are the patches and with winter here, my scalp is very itchy. The question is, what could a dermatologist possibly do that a doctor can't (I was prescribed the generic Nizoral by a doctor at the clinic I go to)? From reading this forum and doing some general research, there don't seem to be a lot of solutions for people that suffer with dandruff. No OTC products have worked for me. Thing is, I don't even know if I have sebborhaic dermatitis (dandruff) - dandruff sufferers usually have oily skin, wheras mine is dry. My legs are very dry and flaky, but this area I can keep under control with lotion. I try to condition my scalp well, but conditioners often build up on there, worsening the problem.

Question: do you think it would be worth it to visit a derma in my case? Like I said, the Nizoral 2% does help somewhat which leads me to believe I do have dandruff - if I didn't, you'd think the shampoo would just make my scalp worse. But, there's nothing stronger out there, right? I know that there are Nizoral anti-fungal pills sold by prescription, but aren't those for infections and reactions? Is it true that the actual Nizoral shampoo is better than the generic? The pharmacist I went to insists that it's the exact same formula, but I've heard people say that they think the genuine Nizoral works better. I can't find ingredients lists online for the prescription strength. You'd think the inactive ingredients wouldn't affect the product that much, and that's the only thing that differs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User
Re: Going to Dermatologist for Scalp Problems?

I can feel the difference from the genuine Nizerol to the generic. The real thing makes my hair much drier and tough to comb through so I need to use more conditioner. I don't care what they say about generics being the same as the real -- they are, but many have so much filler in them they become different IMO. The prices the pharmacies charge are outrageous if you don't have insurance. I use a nose spray that retails for $90. for a month size bottle if you pay full price. When I order it through my insurance company it is $3.33. Please help me understand that much difference in the cost.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:44 AM   #3
(female)

sunshine0806 HB User
Re: Going to Dermatologist for Scalp Problems?

I have insurance, but with my insurance the Nizoral (the original) was going to be $40 , and he had to order it in because they don't keep it in stock. I was like forget it, and got the generic again. I'm still not totally convinced that I have sebborhaic dermatitis. I think the ketoconazole shampoo may be working because it's clearing out the excess dry skin, not killing a fungus. I'm going to try using the ketoconazole more often and try doing things like deep conditioning and apple cider vinegar rinses. If this fails, I will get the Nizoral and see how it goes. I just hate to spend that much and not have it work.

Closed Thread