It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
(female)

tandjsmom HB User
does Nioxin help?

I'm a 31 year old female with Birth Control induced hair loss (I think) I stopped Yasmin because I believed it was causing me to lose hair. At 6 weeks off the pill, it has only gotten worse. My scalp is visable in the front. My question is do the Nioxin shampoos really help? I am taking a multivitamin with extra iron, zinc, and biotin. I'd love any advice - the situation is becoming worse daily!

Old 01-15-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
(female)

isaddesign HB User
Re: does Nioxin help?

I asked the girl who does my hair & she said she wasnt sure on the outcome, cause its different for everyone.

She did tell me that they expect you to use Nioxin exclusively, meaning they dont want you to use ANYTHING else, except their line of haircair(Nioxin)

I didnt hear her say anything bad about it....doesnt hurt to give it a try

She did recommend Redkin extreme line....I use it 1 time a week or my hair feels weighted down...it supposedly helps restore & repair hair with proteins.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 11:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandjsmom View Post
I'm a 31 year old female with Birth Control induced hair loss (I think) I stopped Yasmin because I believed it was causing me to lose hair. At 6 weeks off the pill, it has only gotten worse. My scalp is visable in the front. My question is do the Nioxin shampoos really help? I am taking a multivitamin with extra iron, zinc, and biotin. I'd love any advice - the situation is becoming worse daily!
I use Nioxin and it seems to really slow down the shedding. You should give it a try, and keep taking the vitamins. I have hair loss from an antidepressant, and it's gotten so bad that I'm currently weaning off of it. I've also had hair loss off and on over the past seven years due to various meds (birth control pills, antidepressants, cholesterol lowering, etc.) About the birth control pill, it may get worse before it gets better. By this I mean, when you go off the pill, the drop in hormones can cause hair loss. It's similar to the type of hair loss that happens after a woman has a baby. I had hair loss after I went off my last bcp (Brevicon). It was back to normal after a couple of months, though. I wish I had better advice for you, sorry. The only thing I can say is that it does get better. Hang in there, I know it's hard.

Last edited by kittywitty; 01-15-2007 at 11:36 AM.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:01 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Barry876 HB User

The only product thats recommended for women hairloss is the women Rogaine version.
Walmart makes a copy brand that Rogaine makes for them.

Propecia is not recomended for women.

For shampoos, I like the Thicker Fuller Hair.
They sell it in CVS.
This Shampoo really improves the hair shaft and will make your hair thicker.
It has alot of good ingredients.
Rosemary, Chamomile, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Ginko Biloba Extract, Retinol, Panthenol, Biotin, Aloe, Jojoba

For Vitamins I like the Osteo Bi-Flex.
They make a new one that has Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, Collagen and Hyaluronic Acid. The key ingredient is a potent extract of Boswellia serrata called 5-Loxin, which is 10 times more concentrated than typical Boswellia extracts.
This is a really good vitamin for hairloss.
I get it at Walgreens.
Usually once every 3 or 4 weeks, Walgreens has a buy one get one free.
Walmart and Target also sell it.

Biotin also is very good vitamin for growing hair.
You need to take 5000 MCG, which is 5MG

Calcium Citrate is also very good. .
Calcium Citrate absorbs better in the body then Calcium Carbonate
But you usually have to take 2 Calcium Citrate vitamins to = the Carbonate vitamin.
Usually Calcium Citrate vitamins are 250 MG per Calcium.
Where the Carbonate is 500 to 600MG per calcium.
Get a Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D and Magnesium.

Last edited by Barry876; 01-19-2007 at 03:02 AM.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

I've used the Nioxin products for hair loss and I didn't find it very helpful for me, but you've got nothing to lose by trying it. I do still use some of their products because I think they have some good ones. I now use Rogaine every day and recently started using the Progaine shampoo which helps give some volume. Have you seen a Dermatologist? There are so many reasons why one has hair loss. Also blood tests to determine if it could be your thyroid would be helpful. I've had all those tests done and when they came out fine it was determined that mine was from stress. At the moment I am not having the loss that I did have. Thank goodness because seeing that hair come out only added to my stress and more loss. Just try and find out exactly what is causing your loss and then you can get on the right road to correct it.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:44 PM   #6

Anony1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandjsmom View Post
The package of products they sell cost a fortune and there is no basis for it growing hair. Rogaine for women is your best bet.

Closed Thread