It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
(male)

folliculitis HB User
Question Folliculitis on pubic hair.

I'm going to make a long story short. Last year I shaved my pubic hair and got folliculitis. First doctor prescribe 250mg of erythromycin. It cleared me up but it stilled itched.The folliculitis returned so I went to the derm and he prescribed cephalexin 500mg and it cleared me up, bit a few days later a small red spot appear which I knew was folliculitis. So I went to derm and he said it was just discoloration. But it wasn't just discoloration it spread to its normal size from before and spread to my testicals. So I went to derm and he gave me a shot of hydrocortizone on the hip to help with the itchiness, Some lotion that helps with the itching as well, and cephalexin 500mg again. I have no idea why he prescirbe cephalexin again let alone the same potency. Of course the cephalexin didn't do a thing, but the lotion does help with the itching when I put it on.

Now I have to wait until march to see him again because thats when we did our future appointment, thinking the cephalexin would cure my condition. So What I want to know is what is a strong antibiotic that will take care of my folliculitis. I'm thinking of a combination of Cloxacillin and chlorhexidine wash. I want to hit this folliculitis hard, before it becomes a super germ. Should I also use antibacterial soap when I'm doing this combo? How about burrow's solution to the combo as well? Please help!

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-14-2007 at 05:15 PM.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:14 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User
Re: Folliculitis on pubic hair.

Geez, can imagine how uncomfortable this must be for you.
No, I'm not an expert on this subject, but I think a gentle antibacterial/germacide cleanser wouldn't hurt. Also, maybe keeping the area dry? I usually find that seems to help depending on the problem as moisture can be a hindrance to many skin problems. I would definitely contact your doctor before your next appointment. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
(male)

folliculitis HB User

It's not like I can't last one month. I've lived with this with a year. The lotion is what keeping me from becoming insane. Should I be a little bit more assertive to ask my derm for a more potent anit-biotic? The last thing I want to go throught is multiple anit-biotics and feeding the bacteria more strength.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-16-2007 at 10:29 AM.

Old 02-17-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
(male)

folliculitis HB User

Bump.........

Old 02-19-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User

I think I would begin with just telling your doctor that the antibiotics do not seem to be clearing up the condition and that it is becoming more bothersome as it has been going on awhile. Ask him how long it typically takes to clear up this condition. He should be able to see if there is a problem time wise. If he prescribes the same med again, (I would doubt it) ask him why! - it didn't work the first two times. Also, the lotion after some time may stop working as well as any type of lotion or med for problems can. Possibly something stronger may work.
P.S. Have you looked at any sites to find info on it, maybe as to what type of antibiotics are recommended?

Old 02-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #6
(male)

folliculitis HB User

I've checked other websites and they recommended cloxacillin with a combination of a chlorhexidine wash. They didn't specify which potency would work best. I just hope my derm doesn't prescribe another weak anti-biotic and make the condition worse. I also heard warm compressions of burrow's solution inhibits the growth of bacteria, so thats something I might ask my derm about. Though I'm not sure if I can use this while on the chlorhexidine wash. I know the problem lies with my derm not prescribing the right potency and type of anti-biotic neccessary for my treatment, and the problem isn't about a chronic condition of folliculitis.

About the lotion, I'm about to run out of my samples and was wondering if I should ask for more of the same type or get a stronger one, because you said the effects wear off. The current lotion that I have though is great.

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-19-2007 at 07:33 PM.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
(male)

folliculitis HB User

bump.......

Old 02-20-2007, 02:36 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User

Well, anything can stop working at anytime. As long as the lotion seems to be working for you, I'd stick with it. He could give you something else that won't work and you could end up worse off. Keep with what's working for you.
Good luck!

Old 02-22-2007, 01:28 PM   #9
(male)

folliculitis HB User

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-22-2007 at 04:16 PM.

Closed Thread