It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User
Will hair perming make me lose more hair?

Hi. I was just wondering if perming my hair will make me lose more hair. I have been losing hair and currently taking biotin. But I also have very thin hair so I want to perm it so I look like I have more hair. Is it safe to perm even when I'm losing hair?

Old 04-02-2007, 05:27 AM   #2
(female)

tandjsmom HB User
Re: Will hair perming make me lose more hair?

I can not answer if a perm will cause you to lose more hair. I posted a similar question about hair dye. I had my hair dyed 1 week ago. So far, I have had no more or less hair loss because of the color. It is the same.
However, I opted to cut several inches off the lengh, and my hair really sprung up- it looks much healthier, and yes, fuller simply because its not being weighed down I think.
Good luck- I know how hard it is!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2007, 06:36 AM   #3
(female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

I am not sure either. I would say that if something "inside," your body is causing the hair loss like iron deficiency anemia or thyroid then a perm probably won't cause more hair loss.

tandjsmom - I asked a similar question about dye a few weeks ago also. I need to cover a few little grays and am taking the plunge and getting it dyed this weekend. Maybe I will have my hair stylist take off a few inches too since you said it seemed to make your hair look thicker. Thanks!

Last edited by littlebunnyfoo; 04-02-2007 at 06:37 AM.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:09 AM   #4
(female)

tandjsmom HB User

little bunnyfoofoo
I had 3-4 inches cut off and layered if that helps. Its now just grazing my shoulders. It just seemed to add some life and fullness, rather than just hanging.
tandjsmom

Old 04-02-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
(female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

Thanks - is your hair dry too? I have lost half of my hair over the past year due to anemia. I am lucky in that I had super-thick hair to begin with so no one except me and my husband notice. I have only gone to the salon twice since last summer...being afraid of the rough combing, drying, and styling (I'm VERY gentle at home). I wonder if my hair is dry because of the hair loss or lack of salon/conditioning time? I definitely need a conditioning treatment.

Last edited by ms_mod; 04-02-2007 at 11:16 AM.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:19 PM   #6
(female)

tandjsmom HB User

littlebunnyfoofoo

My hair so dry! The cut helped a lot. I think the dryness has to do with whatever we are going through- I visit the salon the same, every 3-4 months.
Like you I had super thick hair and I've lost probably 40+%.
May I ask where you lost the most? I lost the most on top although it has thinned allover. My hairstylist did notice this time, and she was gentle- I didn't lose any more hair than if I had styled it myself. It did feel wonderful to go and get pampered though.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:00 PM   #7
(female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

tandjsmom,

I have thinning all over, but I notice the most on the front/top area. Especially where I part my hair.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:10 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User

Same here. The part is getting bigger and bigger.

Last edited by ms_mod; 04-03-2007 at 12:22 PM.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:58 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User

When going to a lighter color if the colorist is not trained properly yes there can be damage done to the hair. I had highliights done once at this spur of the minute place that I called to get my hair done for an event I was going to. The lady left the bleach on to long and in destroyed my hair. I it was down to the middle of my back but it kept breaking off so I had to have my usual stylist who was not free for my event cut it up to my ears in a bob cut.

Going to a darker color I've had no problem with. For my hair going darker seems to seal in the hair follicle and makes it smoother. I had it make my hiar more soft and shiny but never thicker.

If the stylist is good at her job them perming your hair should not be a problem. It will at bounce and make your hair seem fuller. If the perm is left on to long then you can have breakage from the top middle or lots or even towards the end.

Are you getting your hair thinned and layered before the perm or are you just going in for only a perm? Alot of stylists like to use those scissors that look like combs on your hair. My last stylist used them on me I hate those scissors. Instead of calling them by there original name which is thinning shears she called them texturizing shears. I had just spend the last year 1/2 letting my hair grow out to all one length and now it's going to take me another year to get it back that way.
When I get split ends my hair looks 10 times worse cause of those scissors. Now I HAVE TO use the flat iron or my hair looks like POO! I put it in a ponytail now everyday. I can't keep using a flat iron on my hair cause the hair will break with all that heat. With the flat iron you can not see the scissors cut the hairs in between the other hair. Without it I look like a bag lady. My hair has a natural curl to it already so now the hair that has been texturized it sticks out and looks like I have really bad frizzy split hair.

Remember that when the perm starts to grow out or the hair does not take to the perm anymore you want and need a style that you will like.

Jenteal

Closed Thread