It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
(male)

shadyboy08 HB User
Hair ON (not in) my nose

Hey guys,
I am 20 years old, male. I do have hair in my nose but I am one of those weird individuals with dark hair ON my nose as well. It's not very noticeable unless someone looks at me close up. It is too small to tweeze but I wouldn't do that anyways. I shaved it once or twice, but I probably shouldn't continue shaving. My guess is shaving will make it worse and leave stubbles?

I am considering bleaching, but I need tips on how to do it and what I should buy as the bleach.
-OR-
Home electrolysis. I've never done it before so any recommendations on which brand to buy? I will be as careful as I can. Anything I should be aware of after doing electrolysis?
-OR-
Waxing. I don't know if this will work well for tiny hairs though, and it's probably painful to do on the nose. My gut feeling tells me this one isn't a wise choice.

What's the best choice out of these 3, for removing hair on nose? The nose is very sensitive for most people and this is a rare problem for most people, so I hope the advice I get takes that into account. Someone recommended biore pore strips to me, but I told them it's not blackheads!

Last edited by shadyboy08; 04-27-2007 at 06:22 PM.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
(female)

camina HB User
Re: Hair ON (not in) my nose

I don't know much about home electrolysis. I've never tried bleaching sorry. Waxing: Like you mentioned, I don't think it'll work only because the hairs are so tiny...but it's worth a try. For waxing my my eye brows I used Veet Strips. What you basically do is rub the strip of wax between your fingers to warm it and place it on your hair. Pull against the hair growth. I am a female and I've had a few black hairs creep on my nose as well. I just took the tweezer and did it. They pop up every once and a while and that's all I do.

Last edited by camina; 04-27-2007 at 06:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

It won't make it worse. I have shaved my entire face including my forehead everyday for over 15 years. I have to put my finger just inside my nose and pull my nostril out to get sides of my nose with my razor. I cut my nose once and learned the hard way. I even sahev the section between the nostrils under the nose. It doesn't seem to grow back as fast on my nose as the rest of my face so I only shave it every other week

Old 04-29-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

This is not as rare of a problem as you think. It's very common, especially among those who spend a great deal of time in the sun.

Home electrolysis devices are junk. Only professional equipement has enough energy to provide true permanent removal.

Shaving and bleaching are ok for temporary removal. Directions for bleaching are on the package. (Use only facial hair bleach) Waxing is not recommened. The skin covering the nose is very thin and delicate and waxing this area can promote broken capillaries.

If the hair is very dark, laser hair removal is an option.

Professional electrolysis is the best solution. It's a small area, quick and inexpensive to treat, and permanent.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

True laser can be permanent. My bf had 3 IPL treatemts on his entire face inlcuding nose for rosacea. They were spaced 4 weeks apart. I was in the room with him when he asked if this would removed his facial hair. Something he's always wanted. She said she has treated many men for roscea with the IPL and they all lost hair but eventually in time for most of them it grew back.

I should have asked her if it was because the IPL for rosacea was a weaker laser than the IPL for hair removal to be permanent. Or if some people were just resistant to it. His rosacea is completely gone in 3 sessions. He had it since he wa was a teen. He always looked like he had a sunburn especially on the bridge of his nose. He did loose the hair on his nose and so far it has not grown back but the hair on his chin and cheeks have grown back.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

IPL's (intense pulse light) are not lasers and even those marketed for hair removal are inferior to the true hair removal lasers (alexandrite, diode, Nd:YAG, rugy).

With laser or IPL, the wavelength used to treat Rosacea will not effect hair and vice-versa.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:05 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

It definitely effected the hair on his face. He didn't shave for his first treatment and you could see where the hair was crispy, as well as smell the burnt hair. It did grow back.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

My son 17 is having laser light treatments for his redness. He's had three so far and quite frankly, I haven't seen him a lot to notice and he doesn't talk about it (what teen DOES talk to his mom lol). My dad has been in the hospital since 4/4 that's why I haven't been around.

On the topic of the outside nose hairs. My younger son 15 uses my gray stick hair removal thingy. sorry forgot the name, but you can buy them at any drugstore. they usually have an attachment for eyebrows too. This works well and the hair does not grow back darker. I use it on my face too. The hair on my face is light blonde but noticeable in sunlight. I actually sit with a woman at baseball games that should use one, but how do I tell her without offending her? Anyway that's what I'd suggest.

Last edited by ms_mod; 05-01-2007 at 01:01 PM.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

On the redness of the face there is a whole list of things that has to be followed. Can only wash face with Cetaphil, has tro avoid the sun. If he is in the sun must wear hat and SPF 70 sunscreen, can not eat certain foods. There are tons of them like no vanilla, chocolate, yeast, beer, eggs or cheese, vinegar, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, black or red, peppers.
Can not eat hot food has to be warm or cool.

Our derm gave him 3 papers on what to do in order for him to stay free of a red face. The laser alone will not cure it. It fixes the problem but inorder to keep it away he has to follow the rules. When he drinks a screwdriver on the weekends he face gets super red and flakey. The doctor gave him a prescription for Elidel. He is to use that first thing so he will not have to do the laser treatments again.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:40 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

try the biore pore strips for your nose. they're for blackheads, but the pull the hair out too!

Old 05-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #11
(female)

camina HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
try the biore pore strips for your nose. they're for blackheads, but the pull the hair out too!
Omgsh yes...I totally forgot to recommend those before. They work great. Just a heads up, they are a bit painful.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:56 PM   #12
(male)

shadyboy08 HB User

thanks for the help guys!!

I actually just bought some biore pore strips for men. The directions say "apply to nose area, smooth side down, pressing to ensure good contact with skin."

On the pore strip, there's a sticky side and a clothy side. I would have guessed that the sticky side should be down on the nose. Is this right? Clothy side is smoother obviously, since it's not sticky

Last edited by shadyboy08; 05-18-2007 at 11:57 PM.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:19 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

Yes, sticky side down. Wet your nose first so it adheres and has something to dry to. My son has used the biore for women. I'll have to look for these. Does it say that it will remove the hair? It usually is just to unclog nose pores which a dermatologist once told me, 'biore strips are the only thing that does what it says.' although if they are deeply imbedded, you should get a facial. My sons have gotten those as well, plus light and laser treatments. They both had severe acne.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:14 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I didn't realize the biore strips were gender specific! LOL
I don't know if it says it does it, but it does pull out the hairs....I guess it's a side effect. Look at the strip when you pull it off and you will see them all on there along with the blackheads. Make sure you let it dry compeltely before you pull it off.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:15 PM   #15
(male)

shadyboy08 HB User

I bought the biore specific for men from e bay. I don't think there's much difference. It probably just fits to the shape of the average man's nose better.

I've tried them once so far on my nose. After 12 or so minutes, I started to slowly pull it off. I didn't really notice any hair coming off (at least not that i remember). It was my first time though, so I kind of applied it on my nose with a messy fit lol. I'll see if it's better next time

Last edited by shadyboy08; 05-22-2007 at 07:18 PM.

Closed Thread