It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
(male)

polopnoy27 HB User
Hair thicker on one side of head?

A few weeks ago, I was getting my hair braided (cornrowed) and the girl told me that my hair on the right side of my head was thicker than on the left side of my head..

When she was done braiding, I noticed what she was talking about because I could see bigger spaces between the braids on the left side.

Does anyone know why this is? Also, how I can make the hair on the left side of my head the same thickness as the hair on my right??

Old 04-30-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User
Re: Hair thicker on one side of head?

Yes my hair is thicker on the left and thinner on the right. It grows faster on the left side as well. Each time I go in for a cut my hairdresser says it's about 1/2 longer than the right.

I've been reading about hair growth for a while for a while. Here is what I've learned.

Most people are completely unaware of the fact that the individual hairs on your head and body grow independently of one another. Each hair follicle produces hair based on its specific genetic instruction and can be affected by oil build-up and irritants. Itís also possible that the hair follicles will produce hair that is of a different texture than the other hair follicles. The vdifference is usually very slight. If you look closely you can see some differences between individual hairs. The proof of this is most noticeable in the fact that different hair follicles produce differently colored hairs.

If you have hair on one side of the head that appears to grow longer, faster, stronger, or thicker, it may be a matter of normal variance. Or it may be a from external influences. If you favor sleeping on one side or the other, you may be have some erosion of the hair due to rubbing against the pillows or bed linens. If you spend a lot of time driving in your car with the window down and your hair on one side is being blown more by the wind, causing the hair to be roughed up.

My mother swears that she looses alot of hair every year around her birthday. I have yet to look that up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2007, 01:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User
Re: Hair thicker on one side of head?

Everyone is like this. It's just more noticeable in some people. Not only the scalp hair, but all hair, including facial and body hair. For the majority, it's the left side of the body.

If you divide your body in half, you will find one foot and one hand is slightly larger, your brows are different, and your eyes are different.

Closed Thread