It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
(male)

AnonymousXXX HB User
What happens when you stop waxing?

If you wax a part of your body and in the future you stop waxing it, will the hair be longer than it already was?

Old 04-30-2007, 06:26 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User
Re: What happens when you stop waxing?

No. That is a myth. Ever know a female to break her leg and have it in a cast? You can't shave that leg. Cast came off and hair was not longer than the other leg. She left a spot untuched on the other leg. The length of hair was the same

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

Actually it depends on what area of the body. If it is an area that the hair is highly influenced by male hormones, it is possible for waxing to stimulate the follicles and cause a change in the hairs, coarser and/or longer.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
(male)

AnonymousXXX HB User

Ok, what are those areas?

Last edited by ms_mod; 05-04-2007 at 02:52 PM.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

What areas? I shave my whole face including the nose and forehead. My legs from ankles to hip bones and my privates for over 10 years. It's never grown back longer or thicker.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

We're not talking about shaving. Shaving won't affect the hair's structure.

Waxing (or tweezing, epilating, threading, sugaring, any type of forcibly removing a hair by the root) an area that is influenced by male hormones may make the hairs coarser, darker, and grow deeper. These areas include the typical beard area of the face and neck, breasts, chest and abdomen.

When that hair is yanked out of the follicle, it is literally ripped from the papilla. The papilla is the "brain" of the hair. This is where the hair gets it's nourishment from your blood supply. Your body interprets this as an injury. Blood rushes in to repair the papilla and hair. Each time the body has to do this, it protects itself by making the hair a little thicker and deeper. Some of these follicles will curve under the skin making you have to tug a little more the next time. This can also increase ingrown hairs.

Another example of the body defending itself like this is with the creation of blisters and calluses. The more friction you give an area, a blister or callus will form to protect the area.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:57 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

I use to have my eye brows waxed all the time. Just recently I had to let them grow out for part in a movie and they aren't any thicker or longer.

I can not find anything to back your up statement. If the papilla is injured then it would stand to reason that it's damaged and may die altogether. Dead papilla means no hair can grow from it and would give you less hair.

Waxing can cause ingrown hairs. The areas you waxed causes the follicles to become distorted from the forcible ripping of the hairs. The hair can grow in the distorted shape of the follicle and curve under the outer layer of skin, becoming trapped underneath. That's when they become unsightly, itchy little bumps that can become infected and develop into sebaceous cysts.

In all actuality the constant pulling yanking and waxing causes hair loss not regrowth. Trichotillomania is a psychological condition of pulling or plucking one's own hair, usually affecting children.

Traction alopecia, where hair loss is caused by constant pulling of tightly braided hair styles or ponytails.

Trauma to hair follicles can lead to progressive or sudden hair loss. Pulling of hair like the kind from overly tight hair styles, (cornrows, ponytails, and braids) can cause the hair to fall out prematurely. After being pulled, a follicle would normally require about 3 to 4 months to recover. Repeated pulling causes hair to grow back finer, and may lead to permanent hair loss along with waxing, bleaching or dying

Old 05-06-2007, 03:30 AM   #8
(male)

AnonymousXXX HB User

QUOTE=FromSqueaky;2965091]

Trauma to hair follicles can lead to progressive or sudden hair loss. Pulling of hair like the kind from overly tight hair styles, (cornrows, ponytails, and braids) can cause the hair to fall out prematurely. After being pulled, a follicle would normally require about 3 to 4 months to recover. Repeated pulling causes hair to grow back finer, and may lead to permanent hair loss along with waxing, bleaching or dying[/QUOTE]

Waxing a chest and abdomen can cause hair loss on head?

Old 05-06-2007, 05:46 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

I don't consider brows to be part of the beard area. Brows are an entirely different story. The brow skin is very different from the rest of the face. The brow follicles are very different from any other follicles on the body. These are the only follicles that it is possible to damage from repetitive waxing.

I'm not sure why you assume that injuring a papilla means it will die. Our bodies are very resilient. Hair cells are the 2nd fast growing cells in the body. Second to cancer. How difficult is it to kill cancer? It's difficult to kill hairs as well. Maybe more difficult. Ask anyone who's had electrolysis or laser hair removal. Our DNA is programmed to have hair on our bodies and will fight to keep it there, thus the deeper, coarser hairs when it's been taken away.

This information is available. You just have to know where to look. I can't tell you where to look without breaking posting rules here.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:43 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

I did look and that's where I learned about the info. Humans have three different types of hair. Lanugo, the fine hair that covers nearly the entire body. Vellus hair, the short, fine, "peach fuzz" body hair that grows in most places on the human body in both sexes. Terminal hair, the fully developed hair, which is generally longer, coarser, thicker, and darker than vellus hair.

Drugs used in cancer chemotherapy frequently cause a temporary loss of hair, noticeable on the head and eyebrows, because they kill all rapidly dividing cells, not just the cancerous ones. Other diseases and traumas can cause temporary or permanent loss of hair, either generally or in patches.

Areas on the body that develop terminal hair growth due to rising androgen's in both sexes, men and women, is the pubic hair. Normally only men grow androgenic hair in other areas. Males have more terminal hair particularly facial hair, chest hair, abdominal hair and leg and arm hair and females having more vellus hair, which is less visible.

No waxing a chest and not cause hair loss on head that was an example. Waxing a chest over and over for years can lead to the permanent loss of hair on the chest. At least that's my opinion.

I do not believe at all that it will grow back longer or thicker. I know to many body builders and their hair does not grow back longer thicker or darker. Most of them shave their legs, butt and face but the rest of the body they wax. Has the hair come back less ....... no not yet they have only been at it for a couple of years but it has not grown back thicker or longer on theur off season either. It very well may be written somewhere that what you shared with us is correct but I see with my own 2 eyes otherwise. Some people just don't fall into that category.

Last edited by FromSqueaky; 05-06-2007 at 11:56 AM.

Closed Thread