It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
(male)

chillin123 HB User
Hair falling out?

So for a while now I have been noticing that my hair falls out quite often. Like if im just sitting around, say studying, ill rub my hands through my hair and notices sum hair falling out. probably about 2 individual hair strands fall out every time I rub my hands through my hair. its just strange to me because i never noticed this before. I am known to worry about stuff so maybe i just put to much thought into it, but I just was wondering if this happens to anyone else.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
(male)

chillin123 HB User
Re: Hair falling out?

could this be because of stress? or is it hair loss

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
(male)

wayne_MI HB User

I have the exact same problem. In fact, I have already noticed an overall change to the shape of my hair. My hair doesn't hold its structure like before and gel does no good. I know it's not genetic balding because no one in my family is bald and my dad has a very full head of hair.
I went to the dermatologist and he pulled on my hair and told me that there was no problem. I don't know if I trust his diagnosis, since my hair shedding occurred so fast. (it started in March suddenly) I'm now going to look into a possible hormone problem, and hopefully I can get to the bottom of this problem.

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-09-2007 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 10-13-2007, 12:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Wayne and chillin -

There are alot of prescription meds out there that can not only make your hair fall out, but also change the texture of it. Other factors, including stress, thyroid, or a poor diet can cause hair loss as well. See your doctor and get blood work done and go from there.

Last edited by kittywitty; 10-13-2007 at 12:35 AM.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I am having the same problem. I clean out my brush two or three times every instance I brush my hair. I notice (can't help but) long hairs all over my bathroom floor and all over my clothes. I am sick of seeing all my hair falling on every surface around my home. I have always had a thick head of hair but I bet I have lost over half of the thickness already. I have already had thyroid tests in July and again in October. Both were normal. I thought the culprit may be some meds given me for heart but after stopping them, I am still shedding hair daily.

I also notice a difference in texture and it seems to lack the shine and luster it used to have. I can just rearrange it to go behind the ears to get away from my face or just run fingers through it and I bring out 6-8 hairs every time. Excuse me but I just picked out 3 hairs from my keyboard.

I don't even know who to see to address this problem as I see nine different physicians now and their only suggestion was to check thyroid levels which I did. That doesn't answer why this started and how to stop it. I currently take Requip, a statin for cholesterol, flexaril, immodium, Premarin, Serax, Aciphex, and an occasional Tramadol. I thought when I stopped the Cozaar and Benazepril that it might get better but I haven't noticed any change in the loss. So far I am lucky that it is all over hair loss and not causing a bald spot, but I am afraid if it continues it may. I have not changed any hair products and have resulted to using a pick to comb out when I shampoo now as I was losing so much just trying to comb out after a shampoo.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Goldy -

I just did a search on the web for the meds that you're taking and it sounds like the culprit is most likely the Premarin. I found quite a large site where people list their side effects and experiences with various medications, and for Premarin, just about every person complained of hair loss. I also went to a pharmaceutical site and hair loss is listed under 'common' side effects for that drug.

Last edited by kittywitty; 10-21-2007 at 11:43 AM.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I seriously doubt it is the Premarin as I have been taking it almost 10 years now due to a hysterectomy. The hair loss has just occurred in the last few months. I read that also on a med website, but discounted that theory due to the timing of my hair loss. Thanks for the reply. I guess I am just going to have to dig deeper to solve this puzzle.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:39 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was just reading that hair loss is a rare side effect of Requip. If you're sensitive to side effects, though, like I am, that could be the cause. Just a thought.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:51 PM   #9
(male)

wayne_MI HB User

Hey Goldy, your problems sounds exactly the same as mine. Was your hair shed noticeable and sudden? I can pretty much remember the exact day that I noticed a drastic increase in my hair shedding. And since then, it has been pretty much non-stop. Also, how old are you? I'm 21, so this worries me even more as I shouldn't be losing this much hair. I also have no bald or balding people in my family.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:12 AM   #10
(female)

harri84 HB User
Smile Re: Hair falling out?

I think that maybe you are just noticing it more now because you are aware of it. Hairloss is normal around 100-150 strands a day. The more you rub your hair the more you will notice it falling, just because normally you would brush it and now you are removing easch strand individually.

Hair also goes through a cycle it grows for a period and then sheds all the dead hair.

Does your hair seem thinner? If you were ill it would clump out rather than strands.

Please dont worry.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:51 PM   #11
(male)

wayne_MI HB User

My hair is absolutely thinner, and it is noticeable. In fact, it is so much thinner that I had to change my hairstyle. It's also not my noticing, because I never used to get hair on my hands when I use hair gel, but now I would see 4-5 strands. I would be a complete idiot if I never noticed that many strands after doing my hair.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:05 AM   #12
(female)

harri84 HB User

i wasnt answering to your question, my post was delayed and yours was there.

I was answering to a female. As you are male, look at your family history as male baldness is usually a pattern

Old 10-31-2007, 10:38 AM   #13
(male)

wayne_MI HB User

That's part of my concern. No one in my family was bald or even showed any signs of balding. Both sides of my family have full heads of hair. Plus, I'm only 21.

Last edited by wayne_MI; 10-31-2007 at 10:38 AM.

Closed Thread