It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
(female)

harri84 HB User
what can i say to my doctor to make him see how upsetting ecxess facial hair is

what can i say to my doctor to make him see how upsetting ecxess facial body hair is i know i have not always had but everyone just brushes me off, i cry every night never go out and cant stand to look at myself in the mirror, im 23 years old and getting married soon but its ruining my life

Old 10-29-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
(female)

ke2 HB User
Re: what can i say to my doctor to make him see how upsetting ecxess facial hair is

Have you thought about electrolysis or laser hair removal? I have heard very good things about both.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2007, 02:03 AM   #3
(female)

harri84 HB User
Re: what can i say to my doctor to make him see how upsetting ecxess facial hair is

i thought about laser hair removal but then i read it can make the hair grow back thicker and black

Old 10-30-2007, 07:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

Have you shown him the hair? Have you been tested for PCOS, insulin resistance or had your iodine levels checked?

Laser only works on dark coarse hair. Electrolysis will work on any hair, any skin color.

Laser induced growth is rare. But if you hair isn't dark now, laser isn't an option for you.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

There is a new presciption medicine out just for facial hair and I have heard it works wonderfull. I can't recall the name. I'm sure your doc would now ..Ask to be given a script for it..

Old 10-31-2007, 08:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

The prescription has been available for several years, it's called Vaniqa. It has a low success rate. It only works on very fine facial hair. You must apply it twice a day, it's expensive, and not covered by insurance. It's a growth inhibitor. Once you stop using it, all the hair returns.

Because electrolysis is permanent, it would be less expensive than using Vaniqa for even just 2 years.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:32 AM   #7
(female)

harri84 HB User

Thanks choice, i didnt know about PCOS causing hair, I have printed your note off to take with me, have you ever had electrosis? Im a bit scared

Old 10-31-2007, 12:58 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

Yes, I'm very familiar with electrolysis. I had my brows done when I was 14. As an adult, I've had electrolysis on my chin, lip, neck, abdomen, legs, and underarms. The word "electrolysis" does sound scary, but it really isn't at all. The first time will be the worst time because you don't know what to expect. It stings a little, but it's not so uncomfortable that you wouldn't want to do it. Finding a good electrologist is the key. Not all states have requirements. So you want to make sure the electrologist uses either disposable or sterilized probes, washes her/his hands, wears gloves, etc.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:18 PM   #9
(female)

jillr HB User

I tried Vaniqua and i didn't like it. You use it after you've already removed the hair with wax or tweezers. It's soposed to inhibit regrowth. It didn't really work for me. I'm in the midst of laser treatments to remove facial hair. It is permanent and it doesn't make the hair grow back thicker or more corse. It takes 6-8 treatments . My dermatologist does it, and it's not too painful. My mother had electrolosis done years ago, and it didn't really work well for her. I would recomend laser hair removal for a permanent solution.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:50 AM   #10
(female)

ke2 HB User

I think laser vs electrolysis really depends on the type of hair. If you are interested might be good to see someone that does both, and get their opinion on which would be best for your type of hair. My understanding is that laser is best for coarse, dark hair, but not always for finer hair (especially the kind you may get on your face). However, electrolysis works for both types. It is a longer process, but with regular appointments over time can be permanent. However, this is assuming it is not being causes by PCOS or anything so that should be ruled out first by your doctor.

Closed Thread