It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 12:29 AM   #1
(female)

stasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB User
How much is considered normal hair fall ?

Hi..... I have noticed a slightly heavier hair fall for the past week...like 50 hairs a day..........Normally I think I would lose 20-30 hairs....

I don't have thick hair to begin with, so I am anxious. I take multivitamins and silica supplements every day normally. The silica is supposed to strengthen hair.
I have a healthy lifestyle.........

So is it common for people to lose as many hairs ? ......

Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 06-02-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User
Re: How much is considered normal hair fall ?

I lose a lot of hair too.

I have thin, fine hair and not much of it.

I lose a lot of hair in the shower and everytime I comb.

Everytime after I shower the whole shower drain is covered with my hair. I have to clean it out every night or else it will clog up.

I am concerned too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
(female)

Sunshine1157 HB User

Hi.
You all might want to have your doctor check your thyroid. It is a symptom of hypothyroidism. I suffer from the same thing. He just increased my dosage.
Until the Levothroid kicks in I am still losing hair in my hair comb, brush and shower.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
(female)

josecori HB User

i had my thryoid checked & it was fine....my dr said that sometimes its hereditary or just happens

Im in the same boat as most of you ...fine thin hair & im pretty healthy, i take multi vitamins, i even massage my scalp
Im going to try Nioxin shampoo & see what happens, but from what i heard up to 100hairs a day is normal hair loss...its just when you have so little it seems like half your head!
Im still looking for that miracle cure!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 10:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Often it's due to poor iron levels so you should make sure you get a blood test which indicates your ferretin levels (iron storage). Low iron can affect hair, skin and/or nails. It seems to have only affected my hair, but a friend of mine still has good hair but her nails are like paper. I dont know why the body picks and chooses, maybe it's due to us all being individuals. If it is due to low ferretin levels, most doctors will tell you that for proper hair growth process your ferretin level should be 70 or over or as close to 70 as possible.

My iron was low for about 6yrs, but i didnt know it was an issue at the time and as i wasted 6yrs blaming everything from shampoo to stress the low iron ended up affecting my thyroid, which isnt bad enough for medicating, but is out enough to cause side effects.

If you get a thyroid test make certain your doctor doesnt only do the TSH test as that is useless on its own, you need the T3 and T4 along with it. Some doctors will say your thyroid is ok so long as your thyroid test doesnt show that you are at the point of needing medication and these same doctors dont believe that if it's only borderline out that you can suffer side effects like hair loss.

In addition to my iron and thyroid levels being out, my Vitamin D and iodine were very low. Get your doctor to do a thorough indepth blood test.

Hair loss can be hereditary, but that if its uniform hair loss all over your scalp and you do get regrowth but it falls out, then it is likely due to being defficient in something or a medical condition. Dont wait 6yrs like i did to pinpoint what it is. I've been doing something about mine for almost a year now, but as i waited too long and hit rockbottom with my iron it is now taking for ever to get my iron corrected.

Closed Thread