It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 07:39 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User
hairy arms keeping me from having a boyfriend?

hi,
i m a girl with very hairy arms...should i shave? <people> have advised me against it as it would grow again and they will look even worse....is this the reason why i cannot find a <boyfriend>? ,<because> i m hairy?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 10:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: hairy

I wouldn't shave your arms. I've heard the same thing, that it will grow back thicker and darker. But the right guy won't care. Wear long sleeves if it bothers you. You might also benefit from a little personal counseling to help you get your focus off the physical part of you and see your own beautiful inner self, the part of you that someone will care most about in a long term relationship. There's a lot more to you than your arms! I hope you find someone who can value EVERY part of you!

Hope this helps,
Emily

Last edited by moderator2; 11-14-2007 at 02:22 PM. Reason: do not assume authority to tell members how or where to post

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
(female)

leslie84 HB User
Re: hairy arms keeping me from having a boyfriend?

I have the same problem and I am only 23. I used to be self conscious (SP?) about it but when I started tanning my hair would get a tad bit lighter and I wouldn't feel so embarressed about it. The only part that really bothers me is the back of my biceps where the hair is dark and curly. Even to this day when someone is behind me I try to let them pass so they won't notice and make fun but no one has ever mentioned it. I also have hair on my chin and neck and thats what bothers me the most. I looked into laser hair removal for my china dn neck and I am seriously considering getting that done. I also had them take a look at my arms and they said that the hair wasn't dark enough and the laser might not help much. I'm going on but what I want to tell you is it doesn't matter how hairy your arms are or anything else for that matter because when the time and guy is right it won't matter. He will love you for you...not your arms. And I do not suggest shaving your arms because it will grow back darker and thinker. Just remember that your not alone! Good luck!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Laser Hair removal is very effective and may be something to consider to rebuild your self esteem.

I wish you wellness.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 11-15-2007, 09:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

reddoorblack HB User

I've had my arms waxed before but didn't like the results because I was covered with bruises for several days after.

The easiest way to deal with this is to use a cream hair remomver. Something like Nair. It works well and is not expensive.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jen52983 HB User

I've been there.. hairy arms myself.. I used to get picked on all the time, even strangers would comment "Oh my god, your arms are so hairy!" Gee thanks.. like i can't see that myself.. thanks for pointing that out!

For a long time I let it go, telling myself that anyone worth it would see passed the hair. And that is true.. (my current bf hates hairy girls, but he didn't dump me b/c of my arms.)

I tried Nairing it once and that was a horrible experiece. It burned. It looked irritated. And it didn't even remove all the hair.. I ended up having to shave them anyway! It didn't grow back thicker or anything. For a while I let it go again just accepting it as part of who I was.. it's the italian in me.

More recently, in the past year I decided that I hated it too much and I shave it now. About once a week, maybe twice in summer. It may look a bit strange growing back.. I mean it's short little hairs, that's kinda strange to some people. But (so far) it hasn't grown back thicker or more coarse. So I'll continue to do so. My older sister also shaves her arms and as far as I know she's never experienced it growing back darker or thicker.

It's really just about preference. If shaving is too bold of a move for now, try bleaching it. They have hair creme bleaches, just becareful and follow the directions carefully. I used to bleach my upper lip.. now I wax it!

Growing up there is always going to be something that you dislike about yourself, awlays somethign that others could pick on you for. That part of it you have to try to brush off and ignore the ignorance of others. If you decide to remove it, do it for you and not for others and certainly not in hopes of landing a boyfriend.

Last edited by jen52983; 11-15-2007 at 11:25 AM.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Florencita HB User

Well, I can completely relate Jen. I'm a hairy italiana myself!! I waxed my arms a couple of times, I loved the results, but it's painful. I shaved with a razor a few times also, but I didn't like the grow back. I now use lady's clippers. They sell a Lady Remington Shaving Set at Rite Aid. It has a guard so that you can trim your eyebrows, nose hairs . .whatever. So I shorten my arm hair without shaving it bald. I wax my upper lip and my chin . well, I have to tweeze every day, because they are all growing in at different times. I wish my arms were my only problem. If I don't shave my legs for two weeks I look like a wolverine. And not to give TMI . . but I wish my bottom was completely hair free. Frankly I'm a hairy beast. lololol . . oddly, some guys think it's sexy! Don't worry about some hairy arms . . . but if it bothers you that bad . . try the clippers . . it's pain free, it only trims the hair so there in no painful growback and once you buy the set of clippers, you have it. You won't have to continue buying bleach or wax . . . just try it . . since we're on the subject. I think I will go trim these bad boys right now!!!

Old 11-16-2007, 07:30 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Dan_the_man HB User

Personally I love hairy arms, or hairy girls in general, no joke I am serious....I think its sexy for some reason....so just be yourself...the right guy will come along...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dan_the_man For This Useful Post:
almorr (03-27-2012)
Old 11-16-2007, 09:25 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

Laser hair removal is only effective on coarse, dark hairs. Electrolysis can provide you with permanent removal on any color hair, on any color skin. Most women will thin through with electrolysis, removing the most offensive hairs, not leaving the arms completely bare, which looks unnatural.

And like the previous poster said, some men really do like women with hairy arms. There are several websites dedicated to that subject.

In any case, if you choose to remove the hair, do it to make yourself happy, no one else.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:10 PM   #10
(female)

Alexandra321 HB User

One thing you could try, bleaching. I've bleached the hair on my arms before and liked the results.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:01 PM   #11
(female)

LovelyLove HB User

I know how you feel i am also very hairy and have not had a real boyfriend , it sucks but do not shave because that was a mistake i made because more grew back, my mom says it will go away as you get older

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-17-2008 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Do not post your age as per the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Old 01-17-2008, 08:56 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User

i do not think tt is true. i m 27 but my hairs are still here. my mom told me tt too but i thinks she is only trying to make me feel better

Old 01-18-2008, 04:21 AM   #13
(female)

Mamasan2007 HB User

I started shaving my arms when I was 16, and through my life people always commented how soft my arms were.
They never even noticed that I shaved them
I have not had to shave them for the last 15 years or so, I'm 50 now.
The hair is so sparse and light now, it tuned out to be the arm hair I always wanted
At the time when I was 16, the hair was MUCH longer and darker.
Thats why I originally shaved----
So in a nut shell, it was a great choice for me!

Old 01-18-2008, 09:21 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

The blood circulation in the arms and legs decrease as we age. Blood nourishes hair. Less blood results in less hair. It had nothing to do with shaving.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #15
(female)

jkfoster HB User

I know im late posting but this is incase anyone in the future ever reads this. Sorry its so long.

When i was 12 and 13 and just starting to shave, My legs were more hairy than my dads. They were pitch black and curly and longer than his. My arms were the same exact way.

Well one day i decided i didnt like the hair on my arms and being in elementary school at the time and being made fun of for it, I thought well lets shave them.... BIGGEST MISSTAKE.

I shaved them like 4-5 times for about 2 weeks. I got tired of shaving them and kept getting razor burn really bad that wasnt worth it. So i stopped.

Well now my hair on my arms Has grown back in Thicker and Darker... BUT the plus is that they are straight. The hairs on my arm are now straight but very thick and very black.

I am now 20 years old, and in a relationship with somone whom im about to move in with and possibly take things to another level. And as far as i know, it doesnt bother him. He mentioned when in the 2nd month we were dating that my arms were more hairy than his and he thought it was funny. I felt bad and he said that it didnt bother him because he thought it was unique.

So the point Im getting to is PLEASE for the sake of your hair growing more thicker and darker dont shave them. You will find a guy that loves you for you and that includes your hairy Arms.

Keep things possitive.
-Jkfoster

Closed Thread