It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2008, 06:38 AM   #1
(female)

lilacs HB User
Lice questions

My daughter was constantly scratching her scalp. After about a week, I asked my mom to look it over. She could not find anything. A week later DD was still scratching, asked mom again and stil nothing. FInally on Sunday I saw something that we figured out was probably lice. Went to the RX and they said that yes it was. My mom and I treated DD and then mom treated me. We went through DD's hair later that day and found two dead ones and one live one. Treated again (I know I should have waited but freaked out). On Monday, checked DD's hair and mine several times and there was nothing. Tuesday, she was still scratching but not as much. We checked her hair once in the morning and there was nothing. I gave her a bath and washed her hair with regular shampoo and went though it again. (obssive much?) Well I guess that it was a good thing that I did as I found another live bug. I have several questions I am hoping that someone can answer.

One, we are pretty sure that the bug that I found was newly hatched (at least I am praying that it was) as when we killed it, it did not look as if there was any blood in it and it was quite small. Is is possible for a nit to have survived the treatment from Sunday and that this ws newly hatched?

Two, we have three cats and were told that we did not need to have them checked or treated but on the Nix web site, there is a section that said that they cannot live on pets but they can be transferred back and forth. If anyone had lice, do you have your pets treated too?

Third, how vigilant do I need to be about bed clothes, coat, and car seat. I have washed all of these things once and will make sure that I wash the pillow case, blanket and coat every day but do I need to wash the sheets and vaccuum the car seat and mattress every day? I have already vac****** and sprayed the car seat and mattress with a lice spray (probably will not work but it did help me to feel better).

Fourth, everything that I have read says that if you wash everything in hot water that should kill the bugs. Does it kill the nits too? If so, would running a flat iron all over her hair make a difference? Also, I read something that said that you can put things in a freezer to kill them but that is not something that they recommend to do first. It is very cold here (like it will not get over 20 today and will not be warmer than 30 tomorrow). Will this cold help with the car seat/car?

If anyone could answer any of these questions, it would be very helpful and I al going to crazy and feel terrible that this is happening to my DD.

Thanks for reading this, I know that it was a book.

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-02-2008 at 08:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User
Re: Lice questions

Went through this with my youngest when she was in Kindergarten. I too completely freaked!!
What we did was wash everyone's hair. I washed DD bedding, coats and clothes she was wearing. I sprayed everything I could! On one hand, did not go overboard as the lice cannot live without a host. I think they die in about 24 hours without blood. We did retreat after a week, whatever was recommended on the box.
My DD was similar to yours in the fact that I checked for a couple of days and then one afternoon, there one was!
The shampoo kills the lice on the head, but new ones can hatch later, that's why you retreat. When they hatch they are very tiny, like pin dots, and black.
Thinking back, we did not treat our dog. Never crossed my mind I guess. Feel bad now.
Basically, I did what I could, washed, sprayed, but did not go to the extreme and it took care of it.
Good luck. Remember though, if someone else at school has lice, she can pick it up again and again.

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-02-2008 at 05:32 PM.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

tlhalabama HB User

When my DD had lice, I used the OTC stuff and it did not work. Plus, you can not use it agian for 7 - 10 days.

What ended up helping us was Real Mayo applied all over the head and wrapped in a shower cap for 2 hours. I then plugged the drain and rinsed her hair (takes awhile). By plugging the drain, you can see if any bugs rinse out.

After that, I rinsed her hair in white vinegar. This kinda helped to loosen up the nits for easy removal, as if there is anything easy about that.

The good thing about the Real Mayo is that it conditions the hair and is natural, so you can apply as often as you feel necessary.

I totally freak out about lice and when my DD had them, I was obsessed with getting rid of them. I was able to treat her hair as often as I wanted, but I also vaccumed everything that I could and washed all of the clothes she had worn for the past week, all towels and bedding too in really HOT water.

I had read an article about Tea Tree Oil as a preventative. So now, I use it in her shampoo everyday and also in her detangler spray. Supposedly, the smell repels the lice. I also blow dry her hair everynight. Someone told me this also helps keep them away.

The mayo and vinegar really does work. As for the Tea Tree Oil, so far so good.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:28 PM   #4
(female)

GiggleBugs HB User

hi i had lice also when i was very young around 7 or 8 years old i remeber that my mom used this pin come to take the lice out she wash all my clothing in hot water and including theres also. then she would buy this some kind of shampoo that had a strong smell to it, i think it was called NEX. but did it ever take long for my mom to comb my hair with this pin comb because i have long hair past my butt.. oh and she put a white bed sheet under my chair when she was combing my hair. alot fell out onto the bed sheet so she wash the bed sheet in hot and then did the other ones like my dad and my brother hair. also my mom would spray the couchs and chairs, also the car seats with raid that really help.

how i got them is that i went to this school that had no lockers. we had to hang up our coats with the other students.

so i hope this help out a bit more

Closed Thread