It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
(female)

cocavette617 HB User
To my wedding with over-processed hair - help!!!

I met a hairstylist at a bridal show who said they specialized in Redken products. I was looking to get my hair cut and also to get high-lights and low-lights in it. So I made an appointment for a haircut a couple months before my wedding in December and then 3 weeks before my wedding I had an appointment for the high/low lights and another haircut so it would like great for an up-do.

I went for the first haircut (my hair is halfway down my back and I grew out the top of my hair for a year and a half and it was down to my chin at that time with alittle bangs I was growing out), I told her I don't want any length cut off the back but maybe an inch but I want the top of my hair to blend better without looking layered everywhere. She accomplished that and I loved it and so did my fiance' at the time thought it looked great.

I went back for the three weeks before my wedding cut and color and "Oh my gosh", I don't know what happened. She told me I would never have to tell her what kind of cut I wanted because she keeps extensive notes in the computer. So halfway through my haircut (my back is to the mirror of course), she says, so you are wearing bangs anymore? I told her no that is why I have been growing it out. Figure she knew this from our first haircut and all the notes she would have written. I had just probably 1/4" of bangs width. When I finally got to see my hair, she had not only given me more bangs, but she cut them really short all the way back about 1 1/2" from my forehead. She also layered all my hair all over. She styled it with a flat iron so I couldn't see all the layers in my hair at the time.

Right before she cut it she did the high and low/lights brown/blonde in my hair. I told her it was burning my scalp so she sprayed water on my hair which was located right at my bangs. I was so tired I went home. I get looking at my hair (the lighting at the place was very poor), and where my scalp was burning the brown looked like red and she had big blonde chunks and skinny blonde strands all over my head. It look horrible. So I called the salon and was extremely upset, (I was not being the nicest) but I had my wedding in three weeks and between the cut and color it looked bad. So they told me to come in and they would re-do it the next day. I went back. Bad mistake. She tried to re-do the high/low lights. Couldn't get that one part where she put water on to pull up, so for the third time put more brown in there and sent me home to wash my hair out after 45 minutes of letting that sit. It was still a reddish tint nowheres near brown. My head was very sore there for a few weeks also.

The next day they agreed to pay back my money for my haircut and coloring but not the deep conditioning. I felt like they should pay it all because after all my hair has been through there is probably nothing left in my hair to help it. They said they would be mailing a check. I said ok at the time because I really needed my hair to be right for the wedding and I could use that money somewhere else to get it right. I never received a check the day they told me I would and I called and they said I would need to pick it up from them at a certain day and time. When I got there they wanted me to sign a letter stating they are off the hook. Told me that a judge was getting her hair done right now if I needed to ask her any questions. I told them I would see them in court. They were still not willing to pay for the conditioning treatment, and I feel like they should have paid for that and possibly gave me more for free.

I went back to my old hairstylist after that and she tried one more time to correct my hair for the wedding. She did the best she could, but it still wan't right.

I then went on the Redken website and found a hair expert for around my area that put a type of temporary toner in my hair and told me that if she did anything at all to my hair it would fall out. She told me a strict regimen to use with redken cat, deep fuel and all-soft heavy cream. I have been doing this regimen for almost a month now and I am thinking now that all the toner has come out of my hair my hair is like a hay-stack, dry brittle and I have lost so much hair from break-age. I do not want to get my hair cut short, I just want to know if somehow some way it will ever be repaired, or if there is any other products out there that would help recontruct it. I also want to know if anyone thinks if the salon who screwed up my hair should pay for any of the conditioning treatments or anything my other hairstylists did? My hair to this date with products has cost around $500.00. Not to mention my daughter went through the same thing as me with the same salon. But that is a whole other story.

I had my wedding on December 29th of 2007 with an up-do that looked very fried, the hair expert I went to did my up-do and did the best she could with my hair. I thank her sooooo much, and I am now happily married, but very very upset with my hair. It makes me cry!!! My husband keeps telling me he can shave it all off for me and trys so hard to joke around with me to make me feel better about it. Thank god he has been great about it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
(female)

vsmom HB User
Re: To my wedding with over-processed hair - help!!!

OMG...that is the WORST story ever. I'm so sorry!!! I don't think you will get money for the deep conditioning even tho I think you really deserve it. To take them to court would cost way more than the price of the conditioner unless you sued for damages which it really seems like you have had.
As for your hair....do you think all the conditioning has made it better or worse? I just say that because sometimes you can use too much protein and it will make your hair very brittle. I don't know Redken products but I do know Bumble and Bumble. They have a treatment line especially for over processed hair which is like a miracle. Maybe check them out.

Good luck. Remember, its just hair...thank God it will grow back!!!

Last edited by moderator2; 01-15-2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 01-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
(female)

cocavette617 HB User

Hi vsmom - thank you for writing.

I think I was writing too fast about the deep conditioner. What I meant was I was going to take them to court for the whole price including the haircut, high and low lights and the conditioning. They agreed to pay me for everything but the conditioning. But after everything that has happened I feel like they should pay for all that and then some of what I had to pay other stylists also.

I do think I have had too much protein on my hair, because when I use it my hair is more brittle and breaks more, so I have stopped using it now. Thank you so much for letting me know about the Bumble and Bumble, I will definetly try to find that.

I know my hair will grow back, but it still upsets me, I have always loved long hair.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
(female)

Jean 53 HB User

What a nightmare!If I was you I would consider taking them to small claims court.In my opinion you should be reimbursed for all of the costs related to all the damage they are responsible for.A lot of times when they receive the notice that they are being sued they will settle before the court date.If it does go to court and you win I believe you can include the filing fee in your suit.I'm glad you didn't let it ruin your wedding day and good luck!

Closed Thread