HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Hair Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hair-problems/)
-   -   Facial Hair (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hair-problems/569730-facial-hair.html)

LovelyLove 01-16-2008 05:42 PM

Facial Hair

[FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][SIZE="3"]Well ever since i was little i have had facial hair(a mustache and unabrow) and I am a girl. I been teased with it and it really gets on my nerves im sick of it. I know alot of Spanish people and Indians have facial hair but the thing is I am mixed with black and white, and a little Indian. I also have harry legs and arms and i don't really like that but i rather have harry legs and arms then a mustache and unabrow. Please help me out some here.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

CaringMom 01-17-2008 08:20 AM

Re: Facial Hair

You are not alone. Many girls and women have this problem. Have you tried waxing? I know it's painful but that's one thing you could try. Also for your brows, tweezing. I do this weekly and after awhile (for me anyways) you don't seem to feel the pain as much.
Also, I use a trimmer. Looks like a thick pencil with a little razor at the end. I'm sure you've seen them advertised on TV or in the stores. I do this regularly to remove unwanted facial hair. Easy and doesn't hurt. Much safer than a regular razor! My daughters use it too!

LovelyLove 01-17-2008 06:48 PM

i do use tweezers and the razor but im not using the razor because i think it make more hair grow back so i just tweeze for now i am thinking bout the laser hair remover or the other one that starts with an e. I just want it to go away or for everyone to under stand that everyone has one.

Choice 01-18-2008 08:17 AM

The fact is, shaving will not make more hair grow back. This was first proven in 1927 by Dr. Mildred Trotter, and it has been repeatedly tested and proven an old wives tell many times over.

Now tweezing [U]facial[/U] hair (other than brows) on the other hand, can stimulate more new growth. When you tweeze (wax, sugar, epilady, thread) the hair, you are ripping the hair off the papilla at the bottom of the follicle. The papilla is the part of the follicle where the hair is connected to your blood supply and receives nourishment from the blood supply. The body senses that ripping as an injury and rushes blood in to repair the damage. You are born with approximately 1000 hair follicles per square inch of skin. Only a few of those follicles are being used. But when you increase the blood supply to an area over and over again as tweezing does, it eventually stimulates those dormant follicles to start producing hair. This is very common on the muzzle area of the face where blood circulation is already high. The opposite is true for legs. As we age, the blood circulation in our legs decreases as does the hair. Many people mistakenly credit waxing their legs for this decrease in hair, when in fact, they would have hair loss on the legs as they aged had they never waxed.

The unibrow is genetic. The upper lip hair could be an early sign of a hormonal imbalance.

For temporary removal, it's ok to tweeze or wax the brows, just be careful to not over tweeze. The skin in the brow area is different from other facial skin. It develops scar tissue easily and can damage the follicles to the point that the hairs won't grow back. This is one of the reasons you see so many women with over-tweezed brows. They tweezed them thin when it was in style, and now they won't grow back in.

For the upper lip, you can clip, shave or bleach. Depilatories may be an option if your skin can handle it. They dissolve hair and because skin and hair are made of the same thing, they can dissolve skin as well.

For permanent results, there are only 2 options, electrolysis and laser. Laser hair removal is not recommended on the brows or unibrow. Laser is most effective on dark coarse hair like you would see under the arms or pubic area. Electrolysis is the only safe option on or around the brows. It's also a better choice for small areas like the upper lip.

If your periods are irregular or you have other signs/smyptoms, please consider seeing an endocrinologist or gynecologist to make sure you aren't in the early stages of a hormone imbalance.