It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #1
(female)

jenniferc16 HB User
Another thinning hair question...

I know this has been asked a lot here, but does anyone have recommendations for thinning hair? I've noticed lately it is becoming very fine and thinning. I am 35 and completely healthy. Have had full blood and hormone tests done (all OK).

Was on birth control for 8 years, but stopped over a year ago. I don't think it's the birth control because my mom has EXTREMELY thin hair... always has. Her hair is very fine and you can see all her scalp. All other family members have good hair.

I was hoping to find some natural supplements and shampoo recommendations. I eat very healthy and exercise daily. I take a multi-vitamin, B-Complex, Fish oil, Calcium, Magnesium, and Vitamin C. Thank you for your thoughts on this!

Old 02-17-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Another thinning hair question...

As we inherit things off our parents, it is likely you could end up with hair like your mothers. On the other hand, have you had your iron stores tested, particularly your ferretin level? If so, what is the figure for your ferretin? The lower your ferretin drops the more it is likely to affect hair as your iron stores are needed much more for things like bone marrow and your muscles, so hair gets whatever is left over....If there is anything left over.

I began seeing hair thinning in my early 30's, wasn't anywhere close to menopause, ate a very healthy diet and never gave iron a thought. I too blamed chemicals in shampoo and tried shampoos which did not contain sodium laurel/laureth sulphates, tried taking more vitamins and minerals but nothing worked. 6yrs down the track and when i had lost 2/3rds of my hair i was to find out i had had low iron stores all this time.

What frustrated me the most was that my family gp tested my iron and each time said it was fine. A lot of doctors will say test results are fine so long as your test result falls "within range", but for example, with iron if you fall at the lower end of the range it can results in a lot of various symptoms and if left too long can even affect your thyroid which also can contribute to hair thinning.

I would get a full blood work if i were you and ALWAYS get a copy of the results from your doctor. Then if you are uncertain of the results eg: iron, thyroid etc, you can go to the anemia or thyroid sections of the healthboard and the regular posters there can help you better understand your results. I wish i had done all of this 7 years ago and wouldn't be going through all this extra hard work now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread