It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
(female)

o0kuntrykw33n0o HB User
Split ends again

I have really bad split ends and I have always been told to get my hair cut to get rid of them. I know that it's the only real way to get rid of them. I have, I guess, an OCD where I will find a split end and break it. I will also find a small round "dot" on a normal looking hair. I will pull on the end of the hair and it will break off right at the dot. I tend to do this a lot and find a lot of these small dots on several hair strands. My question is, is breaking off split ends and breaking the hair bad? IF so I need to break the habit. Also, what exactly is this "dot" thing? Does anyone else have it. I'm guessing it's really bad breakage, because I really don't have to pull hard on the strand that will have a dot on it and it will break off easily. The dot sounds weird and I can't really explain or draw it but let's try this _____._______ Imagine that the dot is connected to the line, and that is about the relative size of it. I try to get my hair cut as often as I can without getting all of it chopped off but find it hard with my work schedule and all. Sometimes I just want to shave my entire head and start over! Anyone with suggestions? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2008, 06:43 AM   #2
(female)

CatGirl1975 HB User
Re: Split ends again

Hi

This is something I have never heard before..But I understand what your saying about the "dot"..My guess is, it's just where the damage starts on your hair, thats why it's so easy to break off..Is it OCD or just a bad habit? I dunno...For the most part people with OCD have major anxiety/panic attacks if an action is not carried out, rituals don't "feel right" or intrusive thoughts that just won't go away...

I have a ritual of picking my scalp to make scabs, then I pick those..I hate myself for doing it, but If I don't do it, then I feel terrible..I have tried little things to stop my rituals..For instance, I grew my nails out because I can't "pick" when they are long, I basically can only scratch my scalp which doesn't fullfill my need to pick...It does help, until my nails break off, then Im at it again..

If this ritual really causes stress for you I suggest to get your hair cut..Either the dead ends or a shorter style..Or you could just keep it pulled back in a clip or scrunchie..Hope this helps..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

How often are you getting your hair cut? I haven't had split ends since I began keeping regular 5-6 week appointments about 15 years ago. My hair is long, and I usually get 1/2-1 inch cut off each time. My stylist always comments on my ends looking healthy. I shampoo and condition my hair usually every other day, but sometimes go an extra day if I haven't used a lot of products. I never use a brush when my hair is wet or use a comb when my hair is dry, I've always read that's one way to avoid damaging your hair, but I don't know if there's truth to that or not. I also take flax seed oil capsules to help my hair from being too dry. I take medication that dries my skin, eyes, and mouth and began noticing my hair becoming dry and brittle. The flax seed oil has been great for not only my hair, but my skin and nails as well.

Do you wear your hair in a pony tail often? The dot sounds like the hair has bent or has had damage done to it by a rubber band. If you do wear a pony tail, don't make it tight and only used bands that are covered with fabric or another material that won't harm the hair.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:55 PM   #4
(female)

o0kuntrykw33n0o HB User

I don't get my hair cut often enough as I know I should. I have really fine and thin hair, and I know it's not good to wash my hair every day. But if I go just one day without washing, my hair is very greasy and it's not good with my thin hair. I was told to put baby powder in my hair after a day of not washing to get rid of the oil or grease, but then my hair gets bad static. I don't wear my hair up too often because it's kind of thin and doesn't look good. I do have a bad habit of brushing my hair while it's wet, but I have gotten better about using a wide tooth comb. I do shampoo my hair, and then use a little condition on the ends, and very little on top to make sure I won't have static. I have had this ever since I tried dying my hair, I've dyed it about 4 times with hair dye from a store, not a salon which I regret. I try to do everything that I have been told so far, with the exception of washing it daily, and getting it cut, because I always feel too busy.

It is just a bad habit of mine to break off the hair. I do it when I get bored, which I can only assume it's not healthy to break off the ends that are easy to break by just pulling on them. I do find that mostly one the left side of my head has most of the hair that breaks badly and the most split ends. I was told by the salon that it could be from laying more often on that side. Thank you all for the information, I was kind of worried about the "dot" close to the ends of the hair that just break off. I am still curious about just shaving it off and wearing a wig for a while, seems to be the fad now!

Old 02-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
(female)

blancanieve HB User

When you say dot do you mean like it looks like there is a hair knot on one strand of hair? Because I get those all the time and they are easy to pull of it feels like a damaged end. I also have a lot of split ends.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
(female)

o0kuntrykw33n0o HB User

Yes, it's like a small knot, but perfectly circle. Sorry if this is kind of gross, but it's like a really small lice egg! (I had lice when I was younger, I remember those ugly things!) I don't have lice now! But it does break off very easily. Most of it is on one side, but I think the more I break it the more it continues to grow with the dot and break off more. I mean this in the nicest way possible, but I am kind of glad someone has the same issue with their hand ends as I!!

Old 02-29-2008, 01:07 AM   #7
(female)

desertgirl HB User

I used to do the same thing, but instead of just pulling off the split end, which can lead to more split ends (a vicious cycle), I would take cuticle scissors and cut the split end off. That way, you're not tearing the cuticle of your hair and making it more ragged.

The thing that REALLY helped my hair was this hair conditioner called "Henna and Placenta." It's disgusting if you think about what's in it, but you put it on for about 20 minutes (you can blow dry it to make it sink in more) and it helps smooth out your hair. I get mine at Wallgreens. It's like a buck. I used to stay home on Sunday afternoons and leave the conditioner in as long as I could. I still try to do that quite often, as I have fine hair and the Henna and Placenta treatment helps it look a little bit thicker.

I haven't dyed my hair in years, and if I do, I used the Natural Instincts kind that washes out. It's supposed to just coat your hair, which makes it a little bit thicker. I notice a difference for about two weeks after I color using that. It doesn't have ammonia in it either so you don't have to worry about damaging your hair. I always used to want long hair, but couldn't have it because it was too fine and broken off. Since I've been taking good care of it, it's gotten really healthy and long. I'm not trying to brag by any means, I just want to send some encouragement your way. I was in the same boat and you don't have to shave your head!!

Old 02-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #8
(female)

o0kuntrykw33n0o HB User

Oh yes, the henna and placenta. I have seen that at work (I work at a retailer) and never got it because of the name of it! I will absolutely try it though since you have by experience! I just get tired of asking the salon what I should use in my hair and they opt for me to get the most expensive thing they have! Sometimes I will take cuticle clippers too and clip them some, but when I am at work and bored, I can't help but not do it! It drives me crazy. It's no wonder my co-workers think I have lice or something!!! Thank you desertgirl

Old 03-01-2008, 01:18 AM   #9
(female)

desertgirl HB User

I hate it when the salons try to sell you the $30 (or more even more expensive) conditioners when the cheap stuff works just as well, if not better!

If you try it, let me know if it works for you! Good luck.

Closed Thread