It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User
ingrown chin hair problem

i have a problem. i started out getting the odd dark chin hair, but the more i plucked, the more they came in...i try to dig them out, but in doing this i have basically ruined my face...it turns into red, ugly looking outbreaks...my whole chin is a mess now - all red with a million pimple looking things..(from digging at the hairs)...whats the best answer? ive read about laser, but for this to work would i have to let the hairs all grow out?? and ive read about tend skin - anyone tried this? does it really make the hairs break through better?

Old 03-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User
Re: ingrown chin hair problem

i should add to the above that it isnt just an appearance issue, with so many hairs 'stuck' underneath the skin, my chin is just throbbing in pain most of the time...i feel like ive been dragged across cement on my chin (and somtimes it looks like this as well!) help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User

went to the dr today and he suggested laser treatment..anyone got it done? im a little wary of the 'no plucking' rule before and between treatments...how did people put up with this??

Old 03-18-2008, 08:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

Unless you have quite a bit of chin hair, laser may be over kill, and electrolysis a better solution.

With either method, you must stop tweezing. Tweezing is a hard habit to breat, but look at it this way...tweezing is damaging your skin anyway, why would you even consider ever tweezing again?

You can clip or shave the hair all you want to. For electrolysis, the electrologist would only need one or 2 day's worth of growth. For laser, they will either shave you or have you shave before the treatment anyway. If you've got it in your mind that shaving makes hair worse...it doesn't, it can't, it won't. Old, old, old urban legend that has been scientifically proven multiple times. You're going to get rid of the hair, it's SO worth the little inconvenience it may cause you in the process. At this point, hopefully you haven't damaged your skin to a point where it will not heal on its own. If you continue to tweeze, you will hyperpigment and scar.

Tend Skin works for some people. It can be harsh on the skin. It's not a substitute for getting rid of those hairs permanently, but it may help you now. I would baby my skin as much as possible, rather than continuing to traumatize it with unsterilized tweezers digging at stubble.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User

Choice - you are so right in what you say - i have totally damaged my skin from picking and tweezing, but at the same time it will be a very hard habit to break! when i just have the odd hair here and there (at least at one time), id find it hard to justify shaving when those suckers can just be plucked out. right now my whole chin is just a mess from all the picking - probably at least 10 separate scabs/sores - NOT pretty at all!

Old 03-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

Buy a pair of "facial hair scissors." My favorite brand is Tweezerman. You can usually find these at Sally's. Put them where you keep your tweezers. It is just as easy to clip one hair as it is to tweeze it. I wouldn't bother shaving unless there are enough to be too time consuming to clip individually.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
(female)

ann128 HB User

Surgicream is good for facial hair and lasts about 6 weeks.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smartpants HB User

what is surgicream and where do i get it?

Old 06-13-2008, 06:26 AM   #9
(female)

littlemiss18 HB User

I am currently having laser treatment on my chin for a few dark hairs, i used to tweeze them out all the time and i to got scabs and red marks from doing it, i was told by the lady that is doing my laser treatment that i would not be able to tweeze the hairs out anymore as the lasers will not be able to remove the hair so i have to cut them down with a pair of finger nail cutters which is alot easier than i thought and you cant see the dark hairs like i thought you would be able to. I have only had one laser treatment and i can already tell a difference and i no longer have the red marks and scabs on my chin which i good. if the cutting of the hairs is a pain for you i was told that you can also shave the hairs off.
Hope this helps you.

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-13-2008 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 06-22-2008, 01:42 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Not sure about laser, but have had a few facial hairs zapped via the electrolysis method. That was some years ago and the hairs have never grown back and that particular spot is so smooth and soft.

I too had made the dreadful mistake of tweezering after my mother made a careless remark about something which wasn't even a problem until i turned it into one.

The sooner you make a decision and do something about it (other than tweezering) the sooner your problem will have gone forever. Just imagine waking up in the morning and not having to worry about it, able to sleep over at friends places or go on holidays and not have to worry about those few hairs. By Christmas you could be free of this issue

Closed Thread