It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
(female)

leilani3202 HB User
thin/dry/damaged hair

I have really thin hair and feel like it is always falling out. I have been trying to baby my hair and brush it a lot nicer, but i still feel like its damaged and falling out and that im going to be bald when im old from how thin it is. you cant see my scalp or anything like that, but its not thick and pretty. is there anything i can do to make my hair not fall out as much or make it thicker? im trying to grow it as well but feel hopeless with that. whenever i go to get a hair cut they usually have to take more than i want off to make my hair healthy and to get rid of the dry, split hairs. i also have to shampoo everyday as my hair gets greasy and nasty way too easy. alls i have to do is go to bed and my hair is gross again...grrr...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
(female)

Boozjee HB User
Re: thin/dry/damaged hair

I feel your pain. I also have thin, easily damaged hair, oily scalp, and dry ends. Worse yet, it's very fine textured - like baby fine, so when it's short, it flies all over the place at the slightest breeze. I hate using hair spray or a bunch of hair products so I prefer to keep it longer. The weight of longer hair helps keep it from being so "flyaway". If your hair has always been thin, then it's genetic and that won't change. If however, you suddenly started losing hair and it used to be thick, then you need to see a doctor.

The only tips I can give you are the ones that I've been using on my own hair that seem to be working. I've FINALLY gotten mine to grow out past my shoulders without it looking like fuzz. Granted, it took a looong time (several years).

If you can avoid washing it every day, great. If not, then shampoo ONLY the scalp area and crown. Lather it up like normal but don't wash your ends. If the shampoo gets on the ends (and it will), that's ok, just don't rub it in. Just rinse as usual then use a conditioner. Use plenty of conditioner on the ends, less on the top. I've started using an intense conditioner on the ends once a week and that's keeping it looking better too.

Next, get some Jajoba oil, or VO5, or a similar product. I use Jajoba because a bottle lasts literally for YEARS. It never goes bad. So anyway, you can do this with your hair dry or with it wet. Try it both ways and see which works best for you. Put just a tiny bit on the tips of your fingers and work it into the ends where your hair is dry. You may have to adjust how much you use. Start with less and add more if needed. Comb it through then let it dry. It will help make your ends look smoother while it's growing out.

As much as you hate to do it, trim your hair often. I never did cut off as much as a hairdresser would recommend but I do trim it more often. Be patient. Patience was the hardest part for me. Just keep babying your hair and giving it lots of moisture on the ends, frequent trims, give it a rest from blow drying and curling irons whenever you can and you'll be rewarded (eventually) with healthier looking and longer hair.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2008, 10:06 PM   #3
(female)

leilani3202 HB User

thanks! ill have to try some of those things!

Old 05-16-2008, 07:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

If you suddenly begin shedding way too much hair than you normally ever have before then the shedding is due to a medical condition. Hair loss can be attributed to a number of issues ranging from low iron, malabsorbtion of vitamins andminerals, thyroid condition, hormonal disturbance.

It took me 7 years worth of abnormal hair shedding to finally get to the bottom of what was wrong with me. After years of being told my thyroid was ok, i finally found it that it wasn't and after further testing i found out i had a thyroid condition called Hashimoto's. I also had very low iron and lacked various other things eg: vitamin D, iodine, zinc.

The problem is that a lot of doctors will tell you that your thyroid or iron is fine so long as the test results come back within range, when in fact your iron is too low or your thyroid figures are too high/low.

Closed Thread