It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
(female)

doria444 HB User
hair texture change and loss

I had used Head and Shoulders shampoo for about 3 months. During this time I had a traumatic event happen to me, and I also changed my diet, not getting enough protein. There has been shedding, but the most dramatic thing is that the texture has changed dramatically. I am going to a trichologist and endo. soon, but does anybody have any ideas as to what would be the main culprit here? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: hair texture change and loss

Hair is 98% protein. If you do not get sufficient protein that would affect your hair greatly. Being on certain diets or excluding certain foods can lead to vitamin and mineral deficiencies which will make hair dry, brittle or fall out.

If there is nothing else wrong with you health-wise and it's simply a matter of getting over your traumatic event and correcting your diet, it could be as simple as eating right, taking some quality multivitamins or one of those hair/skin/nails products you can buy. Also do some relaxing activities to help you destress.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
(female)

doria444 HB User
Smile Re: hair texture change and loss

Thanks Audry B- I read advice you gave to someone to basically make a list, then check off each problem you are able to eliminate. So many things happened to me at once, so it will take time. Thanks for all your time and effort you put into these posts, you are helping a lot of people.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: hair texture change and loss

Hi doria - Thanks These boards have helped me SO much and other people's contributions and experiences are what have led to me finding a great doctor and finally being diagnosed. Hopefully now my hair and other health issues will get better.

Lists are necessary at the start as soooo many things can cause what you are going through. I know stress doesn't cause dry/brittle hair. It can cause hair loss but the hair will regrow.

Stress (especially long term stress) on the other hand can/will cause other things to go wrong eg: hormone imbalance, adrenal fatigue, digestion/stomach problems, thyroid issues, loss of appetite, loss of sleep, irritable bowel. These things can lead to hair loss or dry/brittle hair.

You can imagine if you are going through major stress, not eating properly or sleeping properly then your adrenals suffer and the list goes on. It's like a chain reaction. This is why our hair, skin and nails are like a health barometer and the best indicators that something is not right.

The only other things which can cause dry/brittle hair are menopause or harsh treatment of hair eg: constant products and chemicals, straightening, dying etc.

Just remember, hair takes time to recover if it's something which is happening internally. Don't expect results within a couple of weeks. It can take a few months at times.

All the best

Closed Thread