It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

chocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB User
good shampoo?

I am looking for a shampoo and conditioner that is mostly natural and is good for the hair and scalp. Anyone have any suggestions? I've been using Pantene but I'm not too happy with it.

One thing I learned on my own by accident is, I was getting a bath and added some epsom salt to it. I was soaking for a wee bit because I was reading my book but anyway, my hair got good and soaked and the next day it was so nice and shiny. I guess it was from the salt in the water.

I am looking for a good shampoo though. My hair and scalp are just normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2008, 08:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: good shampoo?

I use Pureology, it is a bit pricy, but you don't have to use a lot and it lasts a long time, it is worth the money!

Sunny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Thanks, I'm looking into that.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
(male)

Scanner555 HB User

I like products from Burts bees and Avalon Organics. Stay away from products with these chemicals.

ammonium lauryl sulfate
sodium lauryl sulfate
ammonium laureth sulfate
sodium laureth sulfate
ammonium Myreth Sulfate
Sodium Myreth Sulfate
Dimethicone
PEG/PPG
Phthalates
parabens
Sodium Tallowate
DMDM Hydantoin
Propylene Glycol
derived from coconut oil
Mineral Oil
Oxybenzone - use Titanium Dioxide instead
Avobenzone - use Zinc Oxide instead

Old 07-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Oh, I hate all those chemicals and wish it was easier to stay away from them.

Good idea! Burts bees is at a lot of the stores where I live. I'll try to get some. It's just that the price for the "good" stuff costs so much more, but I'm sure it's worth it.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Evie4 HB User

My hair and scalp tend to be on the dry side. For a natural shampoo I use Dr. Bronner's Fragrance Free Castille (I think that is the correct description). They have it in the health food section of Fred Meyers, also at Trader Joes and I'm sure other places. I think if you have slightly oily hair it may be too heavy and make your hair flat. It is VERY soapy and little goes a long way!!!! I also use it as a facial cleanser and can be used for a million other uses.

For a conditioner, Paula's Choice hair conditioner. You have to buy it on line. Love it! Doesn't have a bunch of unecessary chemicals, no fragrance and you can apply it as a scalp conditioner as well. It is pricey, but you don't have to use a lot.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
(female)

cindy25 HB User

Hi,

I had flaky scalp and not a single shampoo was good for me. I knew that shampoo contains all those sulphates and thought they might be harming my scalp. Then I stopped using shampoos and now I just use mild soap (Dove) or baby soap and conditioner VO5, these products do not have sulphates and now I do not find flakes and hair fall is reduced by 8-10% (I am not advertising the products, I do not work for any of these companies, the products I mentioned here is just to help others).

I was so frustrated and embarrassed with my flaky and itchy scalp and to get rid of it I tried almost all the anti-dandruff shampoos and other branded ones but none of them were useful. I also asked pharmacist but it was of no use.

I found that the more chemicals we use, more they harm us. The best option is to go for herbal products. I know a very natural way of washing hair but I do not find that plant in US. When I was in India, I used to wash my hair with the green leaves of Shoe Flower plant (it is very common there). Just rubbing hard the green leaves in plain water for 5-10minutes gives lather (not too much of lather, you may find some sticky substance from leaves which is all good) and wash your hair with that water (wash 3-4 times with the same water rubbing on scalp & hair)....it really cleans the oil (not like shampoo making the scalp dry and hair brittle) and no side effects. You may find hair slightly oily but worth when you want something really natural and also no need to use conditioner after that.

cindy

Last edited by cindy25; 07-11-2008 at 10:19 AM.

Closed Thread