It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
(female)

an09ny HB User
A terribly itchy subject.

Well...a few years back we got lice from family members. Then of course we treated and it was gone. I'm in college and home for the summer..so far ive been commuting..i think my sibling got it from a friend at middle school because i saw her have it on her clothing a few months back. i even had a few and treated and cleaned etc but i wanna move into an apartment this fall and ill have a roomie and its ridiculous i cant go with this problem and i know its so difficult to get rid of what do i do about getting rid of it for good? i ordered this really good stuff online..to treat it. but i need some suggesstions here..its gross/embarrassing and never ever thought it would happen to me. as of now i dont know if i have it problly not but im scared of reinfestation..*barf*

Old 08-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

tlhalabama HB User
Re: A terribly itchy subject.

If you are that worried hear are a few suggestions that mught help you out.

I had them really bad as a kid and still to this day remember the ordeal of it all. So bad that when my daughter started school, I checked her head everyday until summer. She never got them.

My youngest however, did last year. The otc stuff did not work so I remembered what my mom used.

Apply real mayo to dry hair. Cover with a shower cap for 2 hours. This will smother any live bugs. Rinse hair in a plugged sink. This way you will be able to see what comes out of your hair. If there is nothing, you should be ok.

If there are any dead bugs rinsed from your hair, coat your hair with white vinegar. This will loosen up the eggs and make them easier to remove. The removal of the eggs or nits is very important.

When you feel that all has been taken care of there are some things that I have heard you can do to help prevent. I have been doing these for a year and so far so good. Don't know if it's what I'm doing or if we are just lucky. Before leaving preschool, there was another outbreak so I'm hoping.

I put pure tree tea oil into my daughters shampoo and wash her hair everynight. Every morning, I spray her hair with a detangler spray that I also put tree tea oil in. It does have somewhat of a smell but not too bad.

I heard that the bugs cannot stand the smell of the tree tea oil and it supposedly repels them.

Just to be safe. I also put hairspray on her hair.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
(female)

SNM18 HB User

why not just use RID? When i got head lice RID got rid of them all and i have really long really thick hair. It was a traumatizing experience for me but RID works allot faster and doesn't smell bad like this treament you keep offering haha.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

tlhalabama HB User

I tried RID and it did not work. We even had to use it outside becasue the chemical was so bad and my daughter has asthma and very sensitive skin.

The old fashioned home remedy worked for us.

Closed Thread