It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
(female)

crazyR6girl HB User
Exclamation Hair follicles found in flakes of scalp - HELP!

First of all I just wanted to say hi since I'm new to this site. I saw some other threads that had similar symptoms to mine, but not exactly. Hence why I thought it would be a good idea to start my own...

Problem:
For the past month or two I've noticed I have been losing a LOT of hair. I have flakey patches of skin on my scalp and when they flake off, I can see hair follicles attached. I'm losing about 5-6 hair follicles with each patch that flakes off. This is occurring on the "equator" of my head... a strip around the back center of my head. I have no idea what to do and have tried seeing my college's student health center, but I'm stuck with a nurse practitioner that doesn't exactly seem like she knows how to handle the problem. She recommended Selsun Blue which I used for about a week straight and, if anything, it's having a horrible reaction to my hair and making the issue worse (not helping with the flaking anyway).

History:
I'm a 26 year-old female and I have never had dandruff in my life. I'm currently a full time college student. Medications I'm on: Kariva (birth control - which I've been on for YEARS without problems), Ultram, and Soma (both are for a work-related back injury). I started taking the Ultram & Soma about 3+ months ago and am starting to wonder if they could be a culprit. I've looked up all possible side effects and interactions and couldn't find anything that would cause the flakey scalp.

I sleep on my side, so I'm ruling out my pillow/sleeping pattern being a potential cause.

I shower daily and almost always blow dry my hair. I only use product on rare occasions since I usually wear my hair down and have had this routine for years.

Please help! I am out of ideas and am desperate!

TIA!

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-05-2008 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Posting pictures would be a violation of the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread