It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
(female)

kissy HB User
Hair Shedding - Hormonal?

Okay, I am 28 years old and naturally have VERY dense/thick hair. A couple of years ago I had trouble finding a good bcp and switched several types of pills in a 4 or 5 month period. During this time, my hair began to shed slightly. Then, I became pregnant and had a very early medical abortion. After this, my hair SHED LIKE CRAZY. Over time, it has thickened up somewhat, but has NEVER returned to it's original state. It has been 2 1/2 years. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Hair Shedding - Hormonal?

All the birth control pill changes, the pregnancy (even though short) then the abortion would send your hormones onto one big tail spin. Hormones can take a while to correct. I keep reading of more and more people complaining about abnormal hair loss while either being on birth control for a while or by being on certain BC pills which are not right for them personally and a lot of hair shedding once going off BC pills.

Often women who have been pregnant will shed quite a lot of hair once giving birth. I'm not sure if this goes for abortions too.

I've read that while being on BC pills it keeps your hormones in a type of pregnant state. when you go off them it is like giving birth and starts off the hair shedding.

Pregnancy is also one of the big hormonal changes which can lead to some women ending up with a thyroid condition. Have you had a full thyroid check which should include: TSH, T4, T3 , Thyroid Antibodies. Other hair loss contributors can be low ferretin and low iodine.

I had a friend who kept blaming her long term hair shedding on going off the pill. She'd get her thyroid checked and doctors would say it was fine. So she ruled out her thyroid. later she came across a doctor who didn't look as lab "ranges", but knew where her thyroid hormones were supposed to be. Getting thyroid hormones and all other hormones balanced is the key to stopping abnormal long term shedding.

Maybe going on the pill and the right one for you will also help. You can only try and see what happens. Anybody on the pill should also be taking a Multi Vit B each day as the pill depletes your Vit B's.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread