It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
(female)

Shiloh Noel HB User
scabs everywhere on scalp

why do i have severe scabs on my scalp?

Old 04-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

melanie in mary HB User
Re: scabs everywhere on scalp

sounds to me like scalp psoriasis. Look it up. You will find lots of info, like how to treat it, etc. Unfortunately, it never goes away ( I am living proof). But there are ways to keep it under control. good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
(female)

Shiloh Noel HB User

i have never had this problem before, why is it all of a sudden there? is it just severe dandruff? i know it does get this gooey kinda stuff and makes my hair all clumped and nasty and hard though if that helps any. I'm not good at researching, that's why I am asking.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deda HB User

I have the same thing. I used to have a scaling dry scalp and then a few years ago, it changed to scabs. The scaling stuff went away. I think mine is related to the autoimmune/hypothyroid problem that I have. (Hashimoto's Disease) It is known to affect the skin of people that have [it in lots of different ways,..but not a given).

I once saw a person with autoimmune disease on here asking if others [w/ AI disease] had such a thing. There were quite a few that did. Do a search on this board for scalp/scabs/autoimmune. Not to say that you have AI, but it does seem related for some of us. I haven't really tried that hard [yet] to work on mine. [haven't seen a Dr. yet...mine [I would say] is moderately bad. I hate it... but I feel so well compared to a couple of years ago, that it's hard to get upset over this.

I will eventually see a dermo Dr. and work on getting this thing under control. My hair looks fine tho. I just need to QUIT picking them off! My husband gets so mad at me! (I told him if they were on his scalp, he's be picking them too)

Good luck!
Deda

Old 04-19-2009, 07:23 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

melanie in mary HB User

I agree. I think your first step is to make an appointment with a dermatologist and let him look just so you will get an actual diagnosis and he can prescribe some prescription shampoo, or a steroid, etc. Mine came on all of a sudden a few years ago and it still sounds like scalp psoriasis to me. The dr. can give you things to help with the itching as well It is not perfect though as I said mine never goes away. It will get better for a while and then it will get a little worse. Until you get to the derm. try Tar shampoos. This isn't a tar shampoo but I like Head and shoulders dry scalp. You just have to keep experminting to see which products you like.

Closed Thread