It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Itchy scalp--lice? Opinions needed!

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the correct board for this question or not, but I didn't see a more appropriate board for it, so here goes.

My scalp has been very itchy/sore for the past few weeks (off and on), on the lower half of my head (not right at the nape of the neck, but maybe a few inches up). I dyed my hair, and that's when I noticed that it got worse... Anyway, I was talking with some people about head lice and that's when it occurred to me that I really HOPE that's not what the problem is here. It could've very well just made me paranoid about it, though.

I've done a ton of research online tonight, and now that I'm completely grossed out, and don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight (because it's all that's on my mind now), I have to add that I have had tiny, white things stuck to loose hairs that I find of mine for years. I did have lice as a kid (probably about 15 years ago--it was treated), and I began noticing these "white things" shortly after this, because my mother pointed out to me what they look like--I thought they were just the shells from the lice that had hatched, and they would go away with time, and ever since then I've noticed them off and on. I kind of doubt that I've had lice for years without absolutely knowing (not to mention, I've had my hair done several times--dyed, streaked, cut, etc.. and I'd think someone would've seen them), but I worry that these are empty nits!

Is there anything else that anybody knows, that these white things on my hair could be? And what about the itching? I'm going to get dh to check my head tomorrow, because I'm completely paranoid now. All that being said, I have a 2 year old ds, and a newborn, and neither one of them are exibiting any symptoms of being infested, nor is my dh.

Please tell me I'm crazy, and that there's something else this itching could be from!

Whiskers

P.S. I have no idea where I'd pick up lice from, if I had it--my babies don't attend daycare or anything, and I really don't share any head stuff (brushes, hats, etc.) with anybody else.
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Itchy scalp--lice? Opinions needed!

Lice are no respecters of hygiene or cleanliness. In fact the healthier your head the better they like it. OK, wet your hair and fill it with conditioner; rub it in well. Leave it for an hour or two, then fine-comb your hair. Do it over paper towels and see what combs out of it. My granddaughters have given me head lice and this procedure works well. Repeat it after a week, or maybe twice again. Don't freak out, anyway it is more likely that the itch is caused by your shampoo and the hair dye has aggravated it. Sera.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Thank you so much for the reply! What will I find in doing this? Would it aid in taking the actual lice out, or the nits (if they're there)?
I should mention that I was completely worried all night about this! When dh came home (late) I told him about my worries, he brushed it off (anyone who knows me, knows that I'm kind of an overly paranoid and worried person), and told me that I was crazy. But he checked my hair this morning quite carefully, and told me "you have a lot of dandruff..." . He said he saw absolutely nothing else.
So anyway, I believe him but it's good to know that there's something I can do double check! He said he thinks the little white thing that's stuck to my hair is the root (?).

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 04-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
(female)

Bluesy HB User

It sounds like you have a really dry scalp. I had dandruff at one point and started using a mixture of vinegar and warm water on my scalp while in the shower. The mix is 1 tablespoon (I believe) to one-two cup(s) of water. I rinsed with it only once a week because apparently it'll do damage if you apply it too often. While in the shower just massage it into your scalp and leave it for a few minutes. Rinse and repeat every week or so. Hope this helps.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:53 AM   #5
(female)

dragonfly57 HB User

Have a doctor check it out. I do get dry scalp at times and have felt the same way and my doctor told me to use a well known shampoo. I have had a deep conditioner at the salon and it seemed to help for a while. Good luck

Disabled
A lot of diagnoses
Only by the grace of God do I keep on going

Closed Thread