It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
(female)

naf1008 HB User
Upper lip/chin hair. HELP!

I'm a 19 year old girl and have been treating upper lip hair since I was 14. I hate this problem and it makes me feel so incredibly self conscious. When I first started, I only had upper lip hair- and I waxed once every 2-3 weeks. However, when I was 17 I noticed that I had started developing hair on my chin as well.. I was mortified. I just bleached this area first, but then started waxing my chin as well. A day doesn't go by when I don't obsess over this problem, and it is so embarrassing for me. No one has ever mentioned or pointed it out since I first started waxing (I started because a boy in middle school had pointed it out) but I still feel like the hair is so obvious as it grows back in. I had thought that waxing would gradually reduce the amount of hair on my face, but I now have to wax more than ever (once a week) and I pluck the hairs that grow in between.. it seems that every morning more hairs are growing back in. I don't know if I'm just seeing the problem as more than it is simply because I'm so preoccupied with worrying about it, or whether it actually is as bad as I think. As I said, no one has ever said anything about it again, and many people tell me I am very pretty- but still, especially when I'm in the light, I find it so hard to keep eye contact with people and keep my hands off my face because I am so self conscious and scared that they see hairs on my face. What's worse is that I have very sensitive skin and, directly after waxing, it appears very irritated for about a day. I have considered shaving it, but don't want it to grow back in thicker or to develop stubble. I don't know what to do anymore.. I feel so self conscious, and the routine is so tiring and seems pointless because I am still always so self conscious about my face.

I have researched electrolysis but found many stories that say it is long, time consuming process and sometimes does not even produce desired results. I don't know what to do anymore, I just want to feel confident and this is one of the main things in my way. This is a very embarrassing problem for me, I guess I just wanted to know- has anyone else dealt with anything like this? Were there any treatments that worked for you? ( I feel like I've tried EVERYTHING) and.. would there be any reason why it seems my hair growth has gotten faster? any way to stop this? please.. any advice anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.. this is a problem that I find myself thinking about ALL the time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
(female)

yuna21 HB User
Re: Upper lip/chin hair. HELP!

Hi, I'm 21 and I suffer from exactly the same problem. I have hair on my upper lip which I started to notice when i was 16, I've been bleaching it with one of the Veet bleaching kits and it does the job with making all the hairs light blonde. However I still feel very self conscious of it and have decided to try try a new method.
I can fully sympathize, i think a lot of women suffer from this too! We're not alone and yes i feel embarrassed talking to people sometimes because i think they can see it.

I called a beauticians today and explained how I have very sensitive skin and want the hair removed. She explained waxing wouldn't be ideal for me and that i should go for threading. I've researched up on it and it seems like a pretty good option! I've booked an appointment for tomorrow, threading is meant to less irritating than waxing and apparently the results last for 2-4 weeks depending on the person. I'd never considered threading before I didn't really understand it's methods. It sounds better than waxing though! {REMOVED} I'm not going to do it myself though! I've booked an appointment with a professional, I wouldn't want to get it all wrong!

Be wary of laser removal, I really think it sounds unsafe as it could cause scarring and whatever you do, do not shave your face It will grow back stubbly.

It really gets to me too, it's nice to know I'm not alone with this!

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-01-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Removed website link, please follow the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Old 06-01-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
(female)

jaim60 HB User

I did electolyosis, and yes it is long time consuming,, expensive and a little painful, but it works, it is your best bet
i

Old 06-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuna21 View Post
Be wary of laser removal, I really think it sounds unsafe as it could cause scarring and whatever you do, do not shave your face It will grow back stubbly.
The upper lip on women is vulnerable to male hormones. Threading, waxing, tweezing, sugaring, mechanical rotating tweezers, etc., can escalate the problem with the unwanted hair. Repeatedly ripping hair from its follicle in an area vulnerable to male hormones will cause the hair to become darker, coarser, and deeper. For the skin, these methods cause hyperpigmentation, scarring, and thickening of the skin.

For temporarily removing the hair, shaving, trimming, or clipping are the best options. The structure of the hair does not change.

Laser hair removal IS safe when performed by a trained technician. Scarring is extremely rare, and is not an issue when performed by a well trained technician. The con for laser is that the hair must be dark and coarse to be effective.

jaim60 is correct that electrolysis is your best option. It is permanent, effective on all skin types, and all colors of hair. A skilled electrologist is essential. I do not consider the upper lip an expensive area to treat. Definitely less expensive than having your lip threaded indefinitely.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
(female)

yuna21 HB User

Hey thank you for your advice,
I had my lip threaded this afternoon, the lady that did it was lovely and explained that she threads all of her face and her daughters upper lip. She looked fantastic there was certainly no brissles on her face!
The procedure took about 5-10 minutes and did hurt a little, but it was well worth it!
The results were fantastic, all the upper lip hair has been removed and I only experienced a little bit of redness after the threading which disappeared properly after an hour.
The beautician explained that I will probably need the threading done again after 4 weeks.
I hope this has been of help, I'm so pleased with my upper lip now. I'm much more confident

Old 08-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
(female)

herefirst HB User

have you tried epicare? I been using epicare to remove my upper lip hair for a few days now .. and I absolutely love it.

It is like threading.

Last edited by ms_mod; 08-28-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Closed Thread