It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
(female)

cindy25 HB User
Facial hair & Saw Palmetto

Hello,

I had some facial hair which were removed by laser treatment 2 years back (some 10 sessions) but last 3-4month I am noticing hair coming back (fine, thin but long hair). Well, definitely can't afford laser again & again because of its cost. I did some searching on internet for natural ways of reducing facial hair & came to know Spearmint Tea & Saw Palmetto help.

I have started spearmint tea (if I am not wrong commonly spearmint is know as 'mint', right?). My concern is related to Saw Palmetto after reading mix posts on Internet.
1) Do we require prescription for Saw Palmetto? Neither I have any doctor (no physician or ob/gyn) nor I know whom to contact.

2) Does it have any side effects on fertility or in future pregnancies (a year or later)?

I am 27year old female & currently on no medications. I wana give saw palmetto a try as tried everything else earlier. And especially it is terribly embarrassing when my husband stares & comments, "I can see some hair on your lower jaw line".

Oh yes! Forgot to mention few things:
1) 2-3years back prior to laser treatment i did check my hormones, thyroid & they were absolutely normal.

2) I think I don't have PCOS (read on internet) because i don't have masculine symptoms...I have regular normal 4 days period, voice & physic is feminine, no fertility prob as was pregnant once in past, normal weight and no male pattern baldness. (I thank you God!)

Any suggestion would be helpful. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2009, 01:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Facial hair & Saw Palmetto

Excess facial hair is either genetic or hormonal. When doing testing of hormones you need to have testing done during the earlier part of the morning, not late morning, midday or afternoon.

Electrolysis is the only permanent hair removal available. I've read of people having success with laser, but have read a lot of reports where they say the hair begun growing back later, especially if there has been a change in hormones for some reason.

With thyroid testing, they need to have done a TSH, Free T3, Free T4 and Thyroid Antibodies testing. A lot of people are told their thyroid results came back 'normal' or 'within range'. This is how i went 9 years being undiagnosed and in the end it was my thyroid afterall. The thyroid board is full of similar stories.

With PCOS, you don't have to fit the stereotype. I've known women who were thin with no facial hair or other hair issues and no other typical PCOS symptoms and they actually had PCOS. You need to get tested rather than go by a symptoms list off the net. Even with my thyroid i didn't have the classis symptoms for hypothyroid. This is why proper testing as well as a good doctor who can actually interpet your results is necessary, rather than one who simply says "within range means you are fine".

Years ago i also had hormone tests done and was told my hormones were fine, but my doctor never stipulated when you are supposed to have these tests done. My tests always came back "fine". Later when i found a proper doctor who knew his job it ended up that i did have excess estrogen, low progesterone and high testosterone.

At the end of the day it boils down to how good your doctor is. Have you thought of giving electrolysis a go? I had this done close to 10years ago and no more hair regrowth. The lady who did it for me ended up getting a lot of ex laser patients after laser became the new in thing, but obviously didn't work for these people. I don't know what type of laser work they had done so can't comment, but from what i've read it's not a 100% guarantee.

As for Saw Palmetto, just because it's natural doesn't mean it can't be harmful. You would need to know the dosage as too much could harm something else within your body. I don't know much about it, but do know men with prostate issues use this herb.

Good luck in your quest.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
(female)

cindy25 HB User
Re: Facial hair & Saw Palmetto

Thanks Audrey-B for the info, I appreciate your advice. I haven't thought of electrolysis yet, I had already spent so much of money on laser...meanwhile I have started taking Saw Palmetto twice daily as no other options left (keep fingers crossed). I definitely wanted to consult doctors about everything but United States is not an ideal place for me even though I have health insurance and on top of that my caring husband is not enough caring my health. It's been 2 years I have become sexually active and since then I always wanted to undergo routine check-up once a year, sometimes had minor problems as well but have to ignore them.....but my hubby was never interested in it...it hurts...anyways, it's a whole different story.

Now let's see what happens. When no other path left, you have to follow the only path left.

Once again thanks very much

Closed Thread