It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
(female)

honesty1 HB User
sticky, greasy hair - won't wash out!

hello. some info about me. early 30s female, healthy eater and healthy in general. i've been doing "no-poo" for about a year and a half with great results. i do not color, perm or use any product on my hair.

about a month ago after i washed my hair with my usual acv/baking soda wash, i notice a part of my hair near the lower back of my head was not only greasy but very sticky. i thought i must have not washed it well enough, although i'd never had a problem with hair being STICKY. i washed it again with acv/baking soda. still sticky/greasy. then i tried regular shampoo. still sticky/greasy. then i noticed on my hair brush there was a ton of white, waxy residue. at this point i'm starting to get anxiety. i go online to research. i came across a few different message boards (mix of regular shampoo-ers and no-poo-ers) who have had this problem. one person said dawn dish soap was the only thing that worked for them. another said listerine was the only thing that worked. i opted for the listerine. it worked! but then about a week later, the sticky/greasyness came back but in a different par of my hair (this time is was near the top).
my scalp doesn't appear red or irritated at all but it FEELS a little irritated and tight and itchy sometimes. not sure what is going on. i have an appt with a derm in a few weeks but in the meantime any suggestions on why this could be happening all of a sudden? i'm really worried!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2009, 07:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: sticky, greasy hair - won't wash out!

Well, I know with cats, Dawn dish soap is used for those with greasy coats. You might try that in the meantime.

I tried the no-poo stuff a few months ago. The ACV/baking soda immediately caused a burning/inflamed scalp. It was horrible and took weeks to return to normal. I now just use an organic shampoo a couple of times a week.

Good luck.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
(female)

Dragonomine HB User

Do you use any products at all?

Old 09-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
(female)

honesty1 HB User

i don't use any hair products at all. no hairspray, gels, cream. nothing. just twice a week i wash with a mixture of 1to1 ratio of water/ acv and some baking soda. it's been 1.5 years i've been doing this with no problems. since i've posted this post i haven't had a reoccurance. i'm wondering if it's hormonal or immune related. i have been experiencing quite a bit of anxiety and stress due to a personal matter which started about 6 months ago.

Last edited by honesty1; 09-21-2009 at 05:01 AM.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
(female)

Dragonomine HB User

Yeah I was thinking about hormones. Maybe try a mild shampoo for 2 weeks then get back on your normal schedule and see how it works.

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-20-2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread